Which of the fun, colourful Marseille variants do you enjoy?

Richard

Same here! Think of how much coloring for adults has become popular, reprinting this deck would be a no-brainer! US Games holds the copyright to this deck and I've considered writing them an email about it.

Also here's a better link: http://www.albideuter.de/html/rolla_nordic

Those online images are nice. They could easily be printed out with an ink jet printer and colored.

Yves Le Marseillais

Bateleurs serie

Interesting question. Let's take for instance the 5 "Tarots de Marseille" depicted below by their bateleur :

bateleurs a by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr
(the number 2 is a facsimile, the others are pics of the originals)

Of these 5 tarot decks, 3 were made in Marseilles (1,4 & 5). Now if you consider the cardmakers only 2 were born in Marseilles (4 & 5). And if you consider their ancestry, not one comes from a family originated from Marseilles (but the Rhône department for 2 & 3 and the Isère department for 1,4 & 5). So Marseilles is indisputably a center of production but might not be the place where this type of french tarot started.

Hello Philippe,

It seems that N° 1 (from left to right) is facsimile of François Chosson
N° 2 is facsimile of Pierre Madenié
N° 3 and N° 4 are.... originals from you (witch decks please, I don't remenber exactly)
N°5 is a Conver original from you also I suppose.

Nice collection.

Best,

Yves

Philippe

Hello Yves

It's rather a virtual collection.
I didn't know the Chosson was a facsimile. Do you know who published it and where is the original ?
The Madenie (with its red-stained empty space under the right arm) is your work.
Are you kidding or don't you recognise C. Burdel in the third one ?
I thought that you had bought the fourth one some months ago. It was complete albeit damaged by worms in places :

b1768 by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr

Yves Le Marseillais

Collections

Bonsoir Philippe,

I publish Chosson facsimile (see my website).
Yes I did not recognized Burdel (and publish it too but my version has some litlle differences and I had a doubt).
Re Bourlion I would have like to get it of course but failed.
Any idea how to contact his lucky owner ?

What about your tarot of Marseille own collection: I would like to see some pics of your TdM E. Patrigeon.

Cordially,

Yves

Philippe

Well Yves, I have your Chosson facsimile and this one looks different to my eyes :

chos by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr

Bourlion : it's unfortunate to have missed this one and his even more talented brother's one. I don't know who won the auctions of course.
Concerning Marseilles' tarots I own nothing rare excepting the Eudes Picard which comes from a very limited edition, but I think it's not the kind of tarot you are interested in.
You can easily search the Patrigeon with google. I can't even remember why I bought it, maybe its cheap price. Awful !

Cordialement Philippe

blue_fusion

I've been oggling at the Rolla Nordic deck for some time now. For me, it has that nice 70s retro vintage ish feel. Love the patterns too. Too bad there isn't a colored version.

Albideuter can be such an enabler. I've begun to warm up to the Nostradamus/Centuries deck and its fuzzy almost folk-artsy look. Gotta love that Knight of Swords: http://www.albideuter.de/html/nostradamus_40.html Looks like the basis for that old cartoon series Biker Mice from Mars. (which begs the pun Biker Mice from Marseille) :D

As for what constitute a Marseille deck... well I'm certainly no expert, but I'd like to think that, at the core, it involves a certain consistency with characteristics and features of, shall we say, an "ideal" (in that Platonic "eidos" sense) Marseille. It's also different strokes for different folks - some have very narrow definitions as to which qualifies, and some have a wider scope. I personally think of the matter in the following levels:

Level 1 - at its narrowest: only the actual historical decks.

Level 2 - scanned facsimilies printed as is (with maybe a retouch here and there).

Level 3 - reproductions created by artists who have the goal of remaining faithful to the details of the original basis (like the form of the line art, colors, etc), with some leeway in terms of artistic interpretation (for example, how s/he will present a detail which looks vague in the original card).

Level 4 - decks created by artists who were inspired by the Tarot de Marseille but who also wanted to make artistic changes to their own decks. This last one has a broad range - some retain a lot of the Marseille look, with the artist's own personal style added, and then there are others which departed very far from the original inspiration.

A friend calls decks in the latter two "Neo-Marseille", though maybe that term would be more apt for Level 3, and "Marseille-Inspired" for those in Level 4.

-Ly

Krystal Mystic

Albideuter can be such an enabler. I've begun to warm up to the Nostradamus/Centuries deck and its fuzzy almost folk-artsy look. Gotta love that Knight of Swords: http://www.albideuter.de/html/nostradamus_40.html Looks like the basis for that old cartoon series Biker Mice from Mars. (which begs the pun Biker Mice from Marseille) :D

If you like the Nostradamus/Centuries deck, you might be glad to know that Yves announced in another thread (http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=4647440#post4647440) that he plans to produce a facsimile of the Payen 1713 tarot. The Nostradamus tarot appears to be based on Payen's work.

Regards,
Krystal

mrpants

nicky, that's beautiful work; hadn't seen that one yet!