Iphone Tarot App Recommendations ..

Stormdancer

Muir Aingeal said:
Anything for the Blackberry Curve?
I tried that already...
Stormdancer said:
***sigh*** as Storm pouts in the corner.....blackberry??? Didn't think so...

(((CIRO))))

coredil

DamePoplar said:
I am sorry in advance but I can't seem to see the point of these apps, maybe you can enlighten me..
As Sunchariot I find it usefull to be able to quickly pic a card anywhere without to have to carry your decks.
But of course it cannot compare with the feel of a real deck.
It is something else.

In the meantime some of the well done available apps begin to build a solid little collection:

Legacy of the Divine Tarot
Tarot of Dreams
The Maat Tarot
Fairy Tale Tarot
Voyager Tarot
Tarot of the Crone
Mystic Dreamer Tarot
The Art Tarots of Parrish
Pic Tarot
Beautiful Tarot (which contains three decks: a RWS, a Dodal majors only and Le Gringonneur majors only)

I still miss MRP decks, in particular the VR!
And of course an app that would allow you to load any deck would be very usefull for all the OOP decks.

SunChariot

DamePoplar said:
Fair enough...

I like the feel of the cards so much though, I would miss them!

For me anyway, its not like one replaces the other, it's an alternative. Since i don't read in public anyway (and only do online readings when I read for others) 99.9 % of my readings are done with cards, but when I am out, I sometimes like to ask quesitons but don't like to carry a deck wtih me.

Babs

Teheuti

coredil said:
Beautiful Tarot (which contains three decks: a RWS, a Dodal majors only and Le Gringonneur majors only)
Thanks for the list of apps. I only know the ones available for iPad.

The Gringonneur/Charles VI cards in the Beautiful Tarot app are only the extant 16 cards - rather than a 22 card Major Arcana - pretty, but not a reading from the options we would normally expect. This is not explained. (Despite the name, these cards are actually from a late 15th century Italian deck.)

This is probably the best of the plain tarot reading programs (not including contemporary artist's decks), although it would be better served with a real choice of decks - all 78 Dodal cards, and a third 78-card deck.

notjonathan

Hi Teheuti--

I'm the author of Beautiful Tarot.

Teheuti said:
The Gringonneur/Charles VI cards in the Beautiful Tarot app are only the extant 16 cards - rather than a 22 card Major Arcana - pretty, but not a reading from the options we would normally expect. This is not explained.

Alas, the 16 images were the only high-quality ones I could find. If you (or anyone) has a lead on the remaining cards, please do let me know. I really wish I could find at least the full set of Majors.

Teheuti said:
This is probably the best of the plain tarot reading programs (not including contemporary artist's decks), although it would be better served with a real choice of decks - all 78 Dodal cards, and a third 78-card deck.

I'm blushing, thanks so much for trying the app! I'm constrained by public domain images, so the decks I provide are sourced from those sorts of images, and not always full collections.

I am working on a new feature that will let you create your own deck from images already on your device (either taken by the camera if present, or just uploaded). This should let people create their own decks to their heart's content.

And thanks again--I am honored that serious Tarot folk consider it useful.

coredil

notjonathan said:
I am working on a new feature that will let you create your own deck from images already on your device (either taken by the camera if present, or just uploaded). This should let people create their own decks to their heart's content.
WHAT?
Did I read it right?
Please repeat it again!

If it is real this can become THE ultimate Tarot app!!!

olarte

This is the ONE app that is missing from my ipad 2 an "Orphalese" type app where you can simply have your 78.jpg files and pick all your favorite decks.

PLEASE let me know if I can be of any help testing your app, this is so Sorely needed in the Ipod\upad world.

I contacted the Orphalese programer about this but he does not program for that platform so that's a dead end.

IT would be so sweet for us ORphalese users to be able to use our saved jpg collections of decks.

PLEASE let me know if I can be of any help testing your app, this is so Sorely needed in the Ipod\upad world. Feel free to PM me about testing.

notjonathan said:
Hi Teheuti--

I'm the author of Beautiful Tarot.

Alas, the 16 images were the only high-quality ones I could find. If you (or anyone) has a lead on the remaining cards, please do let me know. I really wish I could find at least the full set of Majors.

I'm blushing, thanks so much for trying the app! I'm constrained by public domain images, so the decks I provide are sourced from those sorts of images, and not always full collections.

And thanks again--I am honored that serious Tarot folk consider it useful.

notjonathan

olarte said:
This is the ONE app that is missing from my ipad 2 an "Orphalese" type app where you can simply have your 78.jpg files and pick all your favorite decks.

Although I'm not familiar with the app you mention, yes: the main idea of the next Beautiful Tarot update (or at least, the next major update!) will be deck creation. Name the deck, name a card, and choose an image to associate with the newly made card (either an image already on your device, or an image you can create that very second with the device's built-in camera).

My goal is to support traditional 78 card decks as well as free form decks of different sizes and names. You'll also be free to either use the canned interpretations (built in, old and musty, not great) or just enter your own.

Sadly Dropbox integration does not look likely -- it significantly adds complexity to what is already pretty complex. For this release, at least, it will just be images local to the device (or freshly taken). This will be a free update to ipad and iphone/itouch users, hopefully done by the end of the summer (here in the northern hemisphere).

olarte

Cool. Well Orphalese, uses a pretty simple system any folder that has cardas 00.jpg to 78.jpg will map to their corresponding cards from the fool to the king of pentacles.

If you could do something similar then those of us with a collection of decks would be able to simply import the directories.

Or if you use the photo albums then I guess we will need to setup albums on itunes with an album for each deck.

either way if you had a standard format to read from a directory like orphalese then any deck(s) could be imported in bulk.

This would be bigger than any new deck release as far as I'm concerned.

notjonathan said:
Although I'm not familiar with the app you mention, yes: the main idea of the next Beautiful Tarot update (or at least, the next major update!) will be deck creation. Name the deck, name a card, and choose an image to associate with the newly made card (either an image already on your device, or an image you can create that very second with the device's built-in camera).

My goal is to support traditional 78 card decks as well as free form decks of different sizes and names. You'll also be free to either use the canned interpretations (built in, old and musty, not great) or just enter your own.

Sadly Dropbox integration does not look likely -- it significantly adds complexity to what is already pretty complex. For this release, at least, it will just be images local to the device (or freshly taken). This will be a free update to ipad and iphone/itouch users, hopefully done by the end of the summer (here in the northern hemisphere).