What housing system do you use ?

Sharla

I've come to realize that i've been reading the houses wrong in a GT...i've been reading them more fluidly like the cards.

For example the house of coffin i could have read, as an ending or illness or a box etc, depending on the reading i was doing.

But ive Just read somewhere online that the houses always stay the same, they never change they're meaning like the cards do.

But i cant find anywhere that has set meanings for the houses of a GT.... so for instance would the house of Rider ALWAYS just represent News..and not movement ?

Then what would the Clover house represent ? LUCK and that's it....or would it be a surprise, something small etc....which one would i use ?

Does anyone have a set housing system that they use that works ?

Sharla

Just to add..... the house of Fish couldn't always represent Finances, as what about if your not even asking about your finances but you need to read a card in this house.

So now i'm more inclined to think that the houses must be changeable like the cards themselves.

Grizabella

For me, the houses are always the same order as the numbers of the deck. For instance, the 1 is the Rider, the 2 is Clover, etc. etc. throughout the houses. The shuffled cards go on top of the houses and give a mingled meaning with the house a card lands on. For instance, if you were reading about your marriage or relationship, the Mice on the house of the Heart would mean there's some little issue that's gradually eating away at your relationship, weakening it.

Sharla

For me, the houses are always the same order as the numbers of the deck. For instance, the 1 is the Rider, the 2 is Clover, etc. etc. throughout the houses. The shuffled cards go on top of the houses and give a mingled meaning with the house a card lands on. For instance, if you were reading about your marriage or relationship, the Mice on the house of the Heart would mean there's some little issue that's gradually eating away at your relationship, weakening it.

My apologies Grizabella, i've only just realized your reply.

I know that the houses go in their order.....my question was more about the houses meanings.

Heart i think is quite an easy house as its about feelings/romance etc.....so mice on this just like your example in my eyes would mean, feelings that are getting lesser or even like a nervous energy of feelings like when you first meet someone.

BUT as each card has such a wide spectrum of meanings, would the houses always just have the one meaning i.e heart - emotions, ring - partnership, clover - small etc....because my thoughts was, say if the house of fish is ALWAYS going to represent finances, then what about if your doing a GT based on romance and the heart card landed in this house.....do you understand what i mean, because then i wouldn't be wanting to read the house of (fish) as money, id more want to read it as having deep feelings or something along them lines.

So thats where my original question came from, that maybe the houses are much like the cards and depending on the question the GT's thrown for and what card lands in that house, then could this be possible that the houses can be fluid and change like the cards.

Tag_jorrit

I use the "master method" as described by P. Foli in Fortune Telling with Cards, The meanings of the various positions are quite different from the meanings of the Lenormand card numbers. The GT is still read using the method of distance. It's a great little book that covers cartomancy. The chapter that discusses the Master Method expands on the meanings of each position in relation to the various playing card suits which adds another degree of depth to the meaning of the cards that land on the various positions.

I would like to find the origin of the reading of Lenormand houses with the assigned meanings being the same as the numbered cards, as there was no mention of houses in the PL sheet.

celticnoodle

Sharla, I'm also a beginner in Lenormand, and I have read somewhere online where this is true just as you present it. However, its not always easy for me to not assign more then one meaning to the house. So, I still treat the house like the card meaning--but for a more clearer picture of what it is about--I will also look at the cards surrounding it--esp. if the G.T. was for a broad topic--like "The Grand Tableau for the month of:***".

If I was doing a Grand Tableau for a specific focus, such as "Mrs. Y's future employment", then yes, more of a specific assignment of the meaning is easier to assign each house. So, in that light, the "Fish" card would be about the financial end of that future employment.

I could be doing it all wrong though--but I've never been able to find anything in a book or on the web to explain how to handle this situation--so I imagine its up to the reader. Same as in tarot-where people will have the typical 78 card Rider Waite based deck, but one person could have one meaning for the specific major card of say "the magician" and another person has a totally different one of their own. The first person might see the magician as a bit of a trickster where as the 2nd person sees the magician as someone who always seems to be able to handle things and get the best out of what life deals them.

hope you can follow me. I'll pay attention to this thread because I think its a great question and perhaps someone here who reads the Lennies will have a better answer that will make sense and help both of us learn! :D

kwaw

I use the "master method" as described by P. Foli in Fortune Telling with Cards, The meanings of the various positions are quite different from the meanings of the Lenormand card numbers. The GT is still read using the method of distance. It's a great little book that covers cartomancy. The chapter that discusses the Master Method expands on the meanings of each position in relation to the various playing card suits which adds another degree of depth to the meaning of the cards that land on the various positions.

I would like to find the origin of the reading of Lenormand houses with the assigned meanings being the same as the numbered cards, as there was no mention of houses in the PL sheet.

On the origins see my post here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=250188

Etrennes nouvelles de l'horoscope de l'homme et de la femme" By M. G. D. R., published by G. Quinet, Libraire, dans la Salle du Palaise, uses an expanded piquet set of 36 cards, and a 9x4 spread.

The names of the positions in the 1788 9x4 spread:

1 projet; 2 satisfaction; 3 reussite; 4 esperance; 5 hazard; 6 desir; 7 injustice; 8 ingratitude; 9 association; 10 perte; 11 peine; 12 etat; 13 joie; 14 amour; 15 prosperite; 16 mariage; 17 affliction; 18 jouissance; 19 heritage; 20 trahison; 21 rival; 22 present; 23 amant; 24 elevation; 25 bienfait merite; 26 enterprise; 27 changement; 28 death; 29 recompense; 30 disgrace; 31 bonheur; 32 fortune; 33 indifference; 34 faveur; 35 ambition; 36 maladie.

L'Oracle Parfait 1875 is a copy of the 1788 text, but reports it as being as 'after Mlle Lenormand' :

1, projet; 2, satisfaction; 3, réussite; 4, espérance; 5, hasard; 6, désir; 7, injustice; 8, ingratitude; 9, association; 10, perte; 11, peine; 12, état; 13, joie; 14, amour; 15, prospérité; 16, mariage; 17, affliction; 18, jouissance; 19, héritage; 20, trahison; 21, rival; 22, présent; 23, amant; 24, élévation; 25, bienfait; 26, entreprise; 27, changement; 28, fin; 29, récompense; 30, disgrâce; 31, bonheur; 32, fortune; 33, indifférence; 34, faveur; 35, ambition, 36, indisposition.

The positions according to the Master Method in Foli:

No. 1. Project in hand. No. 2. Satisfaction. No. 3. Success. No. 4. Hope. No. 5. Chance. Luck. No. 6. Wishes. Desire. No. 7. Injustice. No. 8. Ingratitude. No. 9. Association. No. 10. Loss. No. 11. Trouble.
No. 12. State or Condition. No. 13. Joy. No. 14. Love. No. 15. Prosperity. No. 16. Marriage. No. 17. Sorrow. Affliction. No. 18. Pleasure. Enjoyment. No. 19. Inheritance. Property. No. 20. Fraud. Deceit. No. 21. Rivals. No. 22. A Present. Gift. No. 23. Lover. No. 24. Advancement. A Rise in the world. No. 25. Kindness. A Good Turn. No. 26. Undertaking. Enterprise. No. 27. Changes. No. 28. The End (of Life). No. 29. Rewards. No. 30. Misfortune. Disgrace. No. 31. Happiness. No. 32. Money. Fortune. No. 33. Indifference. No. 34. Favour. No. 35. Ambition. No. 36. Ill-health. Sickness.

Tag_jorrit

That's interesting, kwaw, but I wonder how the Lenormand began to be read with houses. And especially how the houses were ascribed the same meanings as the Lenormand cards rather than the older method of the house designations you so aptly described.

Grizabella

The easiest way for me to learn the meanings of the Lenormands was to assign one--or at most two---meanings to each card. Then I began learning to read two cards at a time and then 3 at a time, etc. Then 9 card readings as described in the Rana George book. What works best and most clearly for me is to stick to the one card meaning for the underlying houses but more fluidly in the cards on top of the underlying houses.

I think when we learn Tarot before Lenormand, we tend to feel that we can read totally intuitively with Lenormand like we do with Tarot. That isn't the case. We do combine meanings with multiple cards but there's not as much leeway as we can use with Tarot. I even saw someone post a "quint" card in this sub-forum the other day. The two methods of reading can be combined by using both kinds of deck together, but they're very different and distinct, as I've learned the cards, and I think technique is important. Of course, anyone can do what they want with using any kind of cards, but I get the best and clearest results when I don't try to change the whole way of reading the Lenormand. Its real value is in the speed and clarity one gets with these cards. Trying to jumble up the two decks muddies the water while just using the two kinds of cards to reflect off of each other is much more efficient and gives the best readings. For instance, if you want to use a "quint", use it with your Tarot but leave the Lenormand reading to traditional methods and meanings. Of course, this is just one person's opinion and I'm speaking about how it works for me. If something else works for you, then by all means, do what works best for you. :)