The Gilded Tarot Royale

cirom

My style of work is very detailed, each card takes an average of 40 hours each, but that time is not always dedicated to one card at a time. I go from one to another and back again (sometimes with months in between) and for any number of reasons, including tangents as and when I notice them. So I can assure you I spend far more than "10-20 minutes faffing around". In fact it seems and almost endless process of minor adjustments, to positions, size colour, tone etc. However the complexity of the compositions may mean that in correcting some as I see them, it might cause others that I don't notice, or consider a lesser evil. I think its almost unavoidable. Personally I don't consider any remaining ones to be "serious" but I guess thats subjective. Either way its also too late as the deck is being printed, hopefully for most people it won't be too much of an issue either from an illustrative or reading perspective.

Nevertheless, thanks for your feedback and recommendation.

Tibor

The one thing I want to say as a picky artist is this: watch your tangents, it feels like one of every five or so you're posting here has some serious tangents going on due to you pushing the figures bigger.

Hey Egypt, Ciro

I do not quite get this. I looked at all the cards mentioned in the example but I did not see anything wrong or off with them. Obviously I am not an illustrator but I am curious as to what this 'tangent thingy' refers to.I am sure I will still love this deck once I am enlightened :)

starlightexp

Are we any closer to knowing when we will be able to get this beauty?

gregory

My style of work is very detailed, each card takes an average of 40 hours each, but that time is not always dedicated to one card at a time. I go from one to another and back again (sometimes with months in between) and for any number of reasons, including tangents as and when I notice them. So I can assure you I spend far more than "10-20 minutes faffing around"..
I think she meant just an extra 10 minutes of faffing would make the difference she perceives as a good idea. Not that I know what a tangent is except in geometry problems at school !

cirom

Hey Egypt, Ciro

I do not quite get this. I looked at all the cards mentioned in the example but I did not see anything wrong or off with them. Obviously I am not an illustrator but I am curious as to what this 'tangent thingy' refers to.I am sure I will still love this deck once I am enlightened :)

I think she meant just an extra 10 minutes of faffing would make the difference she perceives as a good idea. Not that I know what a tangent is except in geometry problems at school !

Gregory I understood what was meant. I agree that spending just an extra 10 minutes is certainly a good idea and one that has occurred to me. In fact I spend an extra 10 minutes (hours actually) multiple times on every image I produce. Wether that was perceived to be insufficient in these instances is another artists opinion.

Tangents are visual irritations for want of a better description. Like a tree right slap in the middle of a composition as opposed to being off center, the branches too symmetrical, or those branches positioned behind a figure in the foreground in such a way that they look like horns coming out its head. Or an item in an image that just touches another rather than aesthetically overlapping. Its all very much in the eye of the beholder. Depending on how sensitive or picky you are, you would find every deck has tangents, if you choose to interpret them as such.

gregory

Gregory I understood what was meant. I agree that spending just an extra 10 minutes is certainly a good idea and one that has occurred to me. In fact I spend an extra 10 minutes (hours actually) multiple times on every image I produce. Wether that was perceived to be insufficient in these instances is another artists opinion.

Tangents are visual irritations for want of a better description. Like a tree right slap in the middle of a composition as opposed to being off center, the branches too symmetrical, or those branches positioned behind a figure in the foreground in such a way that they look like horns coming out its head. Or an item in an image that just touches another rather than aesthetically overlapping. Its all very much in the eye of the beholder. Depending on how sensitive or picky you are, you would find every deck has tangents, if you choose to interpret them as such.

Oh OK. I admitted I didn't know anything - I misunderstood your post and thanks for the details of tangents ! :)

cirom

My concern now is of course is that everyone will be scrutinizing every image to find if they can see what the hell is being discussed. And probably will imagine they can... A bit like someone mentioning that a character in a deck looks like Elizabeth Taylor, George Bush, or Fred Flintstone for that matter. Once the idea is planted, there tends to be a follow up response from others thinking "oh yes now I see it as well" Which can be a problem in some cases as from that point on they will forever remember the connection and it can be a distraction whenever that image comes up in a reading. I hope thats not the case here.

Ironically of course people have noticed and discussed tangents on other forums without knowing they were doing so. Especially when dissecting the RWS, its just that they weren't interpreted as flaws or understood as "tangents", instead they tended to be nuances that were marveled at, assuming them to have been deliberate and inspired genius by Pamela. :)

Stormdancer

My concern now is of course is that everyone will be scrutinizing every image to find if they can see what the hell is being discussed. And probably will imagine they can... A bit like someone mentioning that a character in a deck looks like Elizabeth Taylor, George Bush, or Fred Flintstone for that matter. Once the idea is planted, there tends to be a follow up response from others thinking "oh yes now I see it as well" Which can be a problem in some cases as from that point on they will forever remember the connection and it can be a distraction whenever that image comes up in a reading. I hope thats not the case here.

It won't be a problem for me. I am dense and just don't understand the whole "tangent" discussion. I also don't care...LOL

Tibor

Now I understand and having looked at those cards again I still think that they look perfect. I think what Egypt refers to must be very minor things and can only be spotted with expertise. Anyway for me it did not change my opinion about this deck.