21 ways - Study Group - Discussion thread

Jewel

DreamWalker said:
I actually am considering doing them together, like........

step 1 - apprentice
step 1 - adept
step 2 - apprentice
step 2 - adept
and on and on

I noticed that last night when I got to step 2, I wanted to continue on with the adept aspect... It felt natural...

What do you think about that?

If I was new to tarot I might suggest myself against it, but as I'm not new I think I should be ok doing it that way... I would look for opinion here...
There really is no right or wrong way, but having gone through the experience I would highly recommend doing the Apprentice steps first then going back and doing the Adept steps. With the first few steps I agree with you, it does feel natural to just keep going into the adept ones (I had over 12 years of experience with tarot when I started this). But the reason I recommend doing the apprentice steps first is because you learn and open up so much on the apprentice level than when you back to the adept level you go into it with a whole new perspective that you can apply. In addition, most of us decided to start the Adept level with a different card, granted we had to re-do a few of the apprentice steps because they built on work done at the apprentice level, but not too much and mainly on the quicker earlier steps.

The choice is ultimately yours, but you will honestly see how you views have changed as a result of the first level of work if you do them separately. Hope this is helpful to you.

strings of life

It seems like people have trickled in and posted their steps here, even if people didn't "study" together, but the concept is interesting. Would love to have company. Starting and completing this has been a goal for awhile; I just need to select the deck to use.

Morgaine84

Starting just now :)

As I've got the next three weeks off, and have nothing planned, I plan on doing a step a day for the coming three weeks. I've had this book for a while now, and never quite got around to doing all the exercises in it.
I only ever skimmed through it, thinking it looked really interesting to do all in one big go. I finally have time to do this now, it should be an amazing experience!
@Aurarcana: if you are still looking for company to reflect on the steps, I'd be more than willing to team up!
I'll be following the apprentice's path mostly, adding exercises from the adept's level when I feel like they speak to me now. I plan on doing the full 21 steps adept level some other time.

My chosen card for now is the Ace of Cups, from the Legend: Arthurian Tarot.
The other two cards that turned up in my 3 card-choosing spread were the page of spears (wands), and the seven of cups, both showing animals. The Ace, with it's circle of maidens (yes, I'm projecting, there's no show of their hymens in the card, but I get to be subjective here, as opposed to in step two) really spoke to me.

PS: Somehow, in my mind, this way of playing with the cards seems very similar to the Fool's Journey through the major arcana. I can't seem to lose this connection in my mind, it will be interesting to see if that will influence my take on 'the steps'.

Sulis

Morgaine84 you have a private message :).

strings of life

Hi Morgaine84, thanks for the PM. I would love to do this with someone else.

jema

I just finished the Apprentice steps with my Shining Tribe deck (6 of birds card) but did like 95% of it only in my paper journal.
Will be nice to be able to refer back to later.
Still not sure if i wanna switch deck/card for the adept levels but I might pick the Sidhe for that since it will be a great way of getting to know a new deck.

acidrica

Finally Doing This

I just got a very strange deck that I'm falling in love with, so I've decided to go through this book, starting with one card for the apprentice stuff, and then later another card for the adept level. To be honest though, I would love some company. My deck is the Silicon Dawn Tarot, and the card I chose is the Five of Wands. I'm open to PMs also.

pandap

I just got a very strange deck that I'm falling in love with, so I've decided to go through this book, starting with one card for the apprentice stuff, and then later another card for the adept level. To be honest though, I would love some company. My deck is the Silicon Dawn Tarot, and the card I chose is the Five of Wands. I'm open to PMs also.

Hi Acidrica,

Can I join you on this one?

acidrica

Hi Acidrica,

Can I join you on this one?

Hey! Just wanted to say I'm sorry for getting behind, I had a sort of crisis come up. I'm caught up now though!