View Single Post
The Thirteenth Moon

Thirteen 
The Thirteenth Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimming in tarot
the archivist's white cotton gloves even protect from papercuts!
There is a "sleeping beauty" feel to her, as if she's being protected from cutting herself or shedding her own blood--and by doing so waking up, becoming a complete woman--or maybe not a woman at all. Maybe she's being kept protected for fear that she'll turn into something dangerous? I think of all those scary movies where if the innocent girl gets one taste of blood she turns into some fantastic monster.

In fact, given this deck, her layers of clothing might be protecting her from other things instead. Like the sun, for example. In older Vampire stories the vampires can go out during the day, but need to protect themselves from too much sunlight. Or maybe, like the Witch of the West, she doesn't want to get wet and melt

Likewise, she might well be saving herself from being contaminated for other reasons. Young women who were going to be sacrificed were often kept bundled up and pure. Likewise, a person may go through purity rites and wear special holy clothing as they're working their way on up to some powerful level of magic.

Quote:
I can't make much sense out of the figures on the blue robe, or relate any meaning to the teal headcloth or purple sleeves.
I think it might have to do with covering all the colors of magic and mystery and the moon. Those colors appear over and over again in this deck, especially in relationship to the Moon, water and blood, all inter-related. Teal is a mix of blue and green and so gives her some green. She essentially is wearing all the colors of magic.

I wonder what kind of leaves those are on her cloak. Anyone know?
Top   #6