Tarot and alcoholism

WonderGuy

Are they any tarot books or workbooks to help someone with an addiction? Not to take the place of actual professional help, but maybe card meditations etc?
Thanks

ThunderWolf

Are they any tarot books or workbooks to help someone with an addiction? Not to take the place of actual professional help, but maybe card meditations etc?
Thanks

The introspection that can come from the readings themselves can be a good adjunct to the process of working a 12-step program. Aside from that I don't have anything to offer though.

BodhiSeed

I think I've seen a book on Ebay that looked at tarot from a 12 Step perspective; the only other thing I can think of is the set of CDs Dan from Tarot Garden did (called "The Process") - he alluded to the steps in a portion of it.

I think doing it on your own might be more of a help than using someones interpretation of them. I made my own oracle deck (for my own personal use) based on concepts in the 12 Steps:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=118280&highlight=steps+serenity

Glass Owl

Here is a thread where I heavily modified a three card spread that I found on the net (sadly, the site no longer exists) that is based on the 12 Steps of AA.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=74776

The thread also includes various versions of the steps so one can modify it further to suit their own personal needs and beliefs.

One could also take one of those daily affirmation-type books such as Step By Step: Daily Meditations For Living The Twelve Steps by Muriel Zink http://www.amazon.com/Step-By-Step-Daily-Meditations-Living-Twelve/dp/0345367596

and use Tarot along with it by reading a passage and then pulling a card (or choosing one) to accompany it.

jema

Tarot Shadow Work; Using the dark symbols to heal - Christine Jette
It is not specifically about addictions but can work for that area too.

Glass Owl

The book, Tarot Spell by Janina Renee, also has a spread/visualization/affirmation for overcoming an addiction or bad habit. It involves using the cards The World, Strength, Judgment, and Temperance. For it, the author recommends incorporating white flowers, crystals, candles, etc because they represent purity and purification or using the color green which is symbolic of healing.

Winterchild

Just words...

I think the Tarot, like anything that leads us inwards and to examine the shadows and our darker aspects, is of enormous help. Then more we light a candle in a dark corner to discover hidden things, the better we are able to embrace those things and learn to love them for the wonderful aspects of our *self* that they are. Seek them out, and welcome them rather than try to run from them and destroy them. By the dark aspects I dont mean the addictions themselves, I mean the cause of them.

A beautiful deck that attracts you... an atmosphere of peace and whatever you need to feel comfortable.... Music helps too... and listening to podcasts etc....

The initial thing for me (I have never done any 12 step stuff....), is distraction.... and ultimately to enjoy something else more than crave the addiction.

I rarely drink these days, but I tend to honour my tarot work as I try to my body.... and respect it..... and that for me means I don't drink with my cards.

Once you have another means of comfort, you become stronger, and you have to because drugs and alcohol only serve to take away your ability to do these new things.

Sorry to go on.... its something close to me....... hope my words help some.

Padma

Then more we light a candle in a dark corner to discover hidden things, the better we are able to embrace those things and learn to love them for the wonderful aspects of our *self* that they are. Seek them out, and welcome them rather than try to run from them and destroy them. By the dark aspects I dont mean the addictions themselves, I mean the cause of them.

That was wonderfully put, and is excellent insight and advice, Winterchild. Especially that last paragraph/line. It moved me so, that I had to quote and comment...trying to destroy the dark side of ourselves ultimately cripples us...but understanding and accepting it brings us to wholeness. Thank you so much for saying what you did. :) you just reminded me of something I really needed to remember...

swedishfish612

Tarot Shadow Work; Using the dark symbols to heal - Christine Jette
It is not specifically about addictions but can work for that area too.

I was going to suggest this book as well. I haven't started working with it yet, but I have flipped through it and it looks like it might work for what you're looking for!

bogiesan

Thanks

My alcoholic would not have appreciated nor been able to use any such tools early in her recovery. Once she passed through her pink cloud stage she understood what was needed at that time and tarot was definitely not it. She needed her sponsor and her higher power and the fellowship of her group to keep her sober one day at a time.

That was more than thirty years ago.

My own recovery took a different path but I would not have appreciated such interference from anyone, not even my best and most well-meaning friends.

If you have not been through this, or watched as a loved one worked through this, you may tend to think of 12 step work as just another thing, a passing phase like a diet or getting braces or taking up skydiving. Maybe you understand it's an important thing at the moment, but, heck, what's the big deal?

It's deadly serious. Lives and sanity are at stake.

If you are close to this person, try attending open or speaker's AA meetings with him or her. Try going to open Al-Anon meetings for a few weeks. Talk to some of the old timers. Then objectively reevaluate your need to get involved and compare it against your friend's needs. Whose needs are you trying to satisfy, yours or hers? For many of us, our need to get involved in our alcoholic's recovery IS our addiction.