Robin Wood - The Devil - 15

spinningspider

After much meditating on "Temperance" yesterday, it's very clear to me that the "Devil" represents the exact opposite of Temperance (and happily that was what Robin said, as well, in her book!) If Temperance is all about balance, that balance is out-of-whack with the Devil. I'm reminded of a saying where even too much of something generally good for us can turn ugly when excess reigns or overindulgence rules. Case in point: I love a joyous birthday celebration, complete with buttercream frosted cake and icecream. As a kid, I once ate all the icing off the cake and knew what it meant by "too much!" I ended up being beyond sick. 'course, as one grows older, the balance that gets upset can cause problems of a much more serious sort than just a sore tummy.

I really, really like that Robin depicts this card with human images, rather than some evil, non-human, creature. Speaking for myself, I'm more than capable of tipping the balance...thank you very much! And, I appreciate Robin's description of the monkey trap, as pictured on the lid of the chest. I had never known how a real monkey trap works and it is the perfect analogy for what's going on with the people depicted on the card. It's obvious that if the couple weren't gluttonous, they both could walk away with some riches, since the lid is somewhat propped open. But no, they want it all. And even worse, they each want it solely for themselves...and thus will wear out in the effort of undermining each other.

When balance is off-kilter, it does seem as if one is existing in a dark tunnel.
Luckily, there's a light at the end of this tunnel, as shown in the card, and if we just stop and think clearly, we can find our way to it. After all, the figures are not that far from freedom, if they but choose it or get help to aid the journey towards it (ie. addiction, illness...)

Thus far, in my journey of studying and using various Tarot decks, I feel Robin's is the most understandable and useful rendering of the Devil card I had ever seen. I never have a problem seeing the warning issued, no matter
where it falls in a spread or what question is asked.

annik

This card is among the favorites I have in this deck! I think it is a way cool modern representation of the devil. We are in a society that is geared more toward the individual. When it is each for yourself, it can turn like the situation on the card. Each is pulling in one direction. By chance, the chest is strong. I think it would get worst if the chest is torn apart and that all the content is spilling on the floor!

Golden Moon

The Devil Card : The Robin Wood Tarot

I've been thinking of buying this tarot deck but one thing that gets to me is why isent the devil present in his card? Instead there are a man and woman chained to some treasure box trying to run away? Anyone care to explain?

Also, why is death in a red hood?

Many thanks:D

Jamie_1311

Golden Moon said:
I've been thinking of buying this tarot deck but one thing that gets to me is why isent the devil present in his card? Instead there are a man and woman chained to some treasure box trying to run away? Anyone care to explain?

Also, why is death in a red hood?

Many thanks:D

I think the message behind the Devil card is that we create our own hell in a sense. They are being controlled by there own material and physical desires that are causing them to not being able to escape because the treasure is so tempting it's taking over their will power. So in a sense the Devil is the temptation that can imprison you and hold you back by your own doings. I also think that since it is a Pagan deck that perhaps the Pagan belief don't believe in that deity but rather anything can take the shape of evil and great power.

Not sure what to say about Death at the momment.

rainkins

Jamie_1311 said:
I think the message behind the Devil card is that we create our own hell in a sense.
Seconded. This deck focuses on the "materialism" aspect of the Devil by showing how we can become dependent on material things to the point that they can control us. Unlike many religions, paganism does not teach that physical things are "bad" or "impure" in and of themselves, but rather that we should embrace and enjoy material experience for what it has to offer and teach us, as long as we remain in control and do not allow ourselves to become dependent on "stuff."

I think Death wears a hood because the face of Death is unknown to all but those who have experienced it firsthand. Why Death wears a red hood is a great question. Why would red -- the color of vitality, blood, and passion -- be worn by a figure we perceive to take all those things away? It's certainly worth pondering. I think, among other things, the red hood is hinting that we know a good deal less about Death than we think we do!

Jamie_1311

rainkins said:
Seconded. This deck focuses on the "materialism" aspect of the Devil by showing how we can become dependent on material things to the point that they can control us. Unlike many religions, paganism does not teach that physical things are "bad" or "impure" in and of themselves, but rather that we should embrace and enjoy material experience for what it has to offer and teach us, as long as we remain in control and do not allow ourselves to become dependent on "stuff."

I think Death wears a hood because the face of Death is unknown to all but those who have experienced it firsthand. Why Death wears a red hood is a great question. Why would red -- the color of vitality, blood, and passion -- be worn by a figure we perceive to take all those things away? It's certainly worth pondering. I think, among other things, the red hood is hinting that we know a good deal less about Death than we think we do!

Haha thats exactly what I was trying to spit out, nicely said.

Golden Moon

Thank you both. :D I'll get this deck as soon as I can.

shiresun

I have been including songs that I think work with each card as I meet it. This is the song I used for The Devil:

"Angel of darnkess is upon you
stuck a needle in your arm
so take another toke, have a blow for your nose
One more drink, fool, would drown you...

...Now they call you Prince charming,
Can't speak a word when you're full of ludes
Say you'll be alright come tomorrow
But tomorrow might not be here for you!

Oooo oooo that smell, can't you smell that smell?"*​

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Heading toward the mountains, I wandered off the trail onto the grass; soft, cool, sweet smelling. I heard myself sigh. I knew somewhere back in the dawn of my life, before my current circumstances, I had felt a bliss similar to this, though I could not recall, now, from what source it had come. I was content, satisfied. I wasn't yearning any longer. That was different. A memory floated by in a bubble. It was another time, another place, when and where I'd dwelt in this feeling. I felt oddly light, and ran across the carpet of the plush lawn. In fact, I danced, pulling my flute out and playing a happy tune. Finally, I dropped to the soft green sod, resting there, just reveling in this wonderful freedom. I might have felt... yes, definitely felt invincible. Had I passed all of the tests? Would I rest forever in this paradise?

Rolling over on my side, I saw I was near the first outcropping of rocks which led up to the mountains. Sitting up, I saw what looked oddly like steps, leading down into a ... gully? Rising, I walked to where the steps began and was astonished to see they ended at a doorway. Glittering in the grass just by the staircase, I saw a crystal. I picked it up, and saw another, upon the first step, and then a third crystal and a fourth, as I descended to the entryway. By the time I reached the opening, I had collected a handful of beautiful stones! I saw one more actually, stuck in the doorjamb, keeping the entryway from being completely closed, and possibly sealed. What treasure must be inside, I wondered, and pushed against the barrier. It moved easily, and I stepped inside. Darkness descended. I stood still, letting my eyes adjust. I could make out that I was in a long, narrow corridor. It reminded me of a vision I'd once had, where skeletons hung on either side of the hall, all victims of their own avarice.

Somewhere ahead, I heard whispers and saw a faint glitter reflecting off the light coming in from the door behind me. I walked forward, toward the voices. As I crept closer, I could hear the voice more clearly. There were two voices, though they did not seem to be speaking with each other. It was more like each was muttering, sometimes groaning, and other times whimpering.

What on earth? I thought. I held up a small lantern which I pulled from my pack. What I saw was certainly odd, to say the least. A man and woman, both unclad, neither noticing the other, but both grappling with a treasure chest, overflowing with all manner of jewels and riches. The two were clawing at bits and pieces of the treasure. From where I stood, I could see that the chest was chained to the wall, though the two people were not. But for all intents and purposes they acted as if they were.

I saw a terribly familiar desperation in their eyes; the wanting and needing of the enslaved, held captive by their own greed. The young man stopped momentarily, staring down at the open door, reaching out toward it, his expression showing a forgotten moment from another time. The moment, however, passed too quickly and he was back caressing the jewels, and at times the chain, both with the same passion, as if he could no longer tell the difference between the two.

A chill passed through the tunnel of this underground tomb. I threw the crystals down, scattering them among a collection of the bounty from the chest, and turned and ran back to the door, up the stairs, and fell down to the ground, shivering still.

The contrast between the sense of freedom out here, and the utter bondage inside left me shaking. It had been a close call. I wasn't as far removed from my old ways, wants, and subjugation as I'd foolishly thought. And I realized that all of my old tapes were not only just under the surface, but readily available to play me, much the same way the snake charmer plays the snake.

*Song for the devil: That Smell by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Moonson

"neither noticing the other", blinded by their greed. If they weren't so blind, they could work together and get the tresure out.
"I saw a terribly familiar desperation in their eyes; the wanting and needing of the enslaved, held captive by their own greed" - i also like this sentence, it really gives a clear description of the feeling of the caracters in the card.
And... learned a new word: "whimpering"!! :) never seen this word before. I looked it up and it means to complain, to whine...as i was reading the post, had a vivid picture of some movie where Brad Pitt and Bruce Willis are in a mental hospital, and the patients were fighting and screaming for no reason. In the card there is a reason!! But, that reason made them crazy, like the patients in the movie.

I don't usually think about music when i read about tarot, but as i was reading your post i remembered the chorus from one music: "i want it all" from Queen.
Can't remember the whole lirics, but i think the title suits the card! :)

Ravenne

I never really understood the bit Spinning Spider posted about the monkey trap, till I read the full story in RW book.
I also find this card much easier to read than for instance the Raider Waite one.
I like the bit in the book were Robin Wood says that they aren't balancing their emotions (what they want) with their intellect ( what they know is good for them) and so they cannot see clearly. Thinking with only one is like closing one eye: you lose your depth perception and perspective.
When I was 20, I've walked around for months with just one contact lens. At first this was very annoying but the brain adepts and I started to rely on the one properly seeing eye more and more. After a while I didn't even notice that I was missing out on something anymore. Until I got new contact lenses for both eyes ... Wow, what a revelation.
Maybe it's important to consider that a situation like the Devil might have gradually developed, so the querent isn't even really aware of the fact that he/she got his/herself stuck. Meaning they might not be able to recognize the situation straight away, possibly even deny it being true. Apart from that, most ppl don't want to be confronted with their own "addictive" behaviour. I've had this card come up a number of times in a reading for myself and usually my first reaction is denial. It's not true!!!
Robin says they stand in a long, dark tunnel to show the narrowness of their outlook, while they can easily walk out into the open space and freedom beyong. Which narrows it down to why someone might latch on to something/someone: fear. Freedom (letting go) can be quite scary!
In this sense, I feel the keyword used in the book is quite appropriate: greed. To my mind, fear (of letting go) is a better one. The result of this might be greed, but isn't fear (of being alone, of not having enough and so on) the core?

Ravenne