View Single Post
Card Reader/Fortune Teller

Grizabella 

This is an interesting card for me. I think to myself that I'm secure in being a widow now and that I've accepted being alone. But then I read in the book: "Loneliness is the absence of the other. Aloneness is the presence of oneself." I appreciate that profound statement. In fact, I think I should make a little sign to sit on my desk that says this.

When I first saw this card, I thought the little old man was looking toward the light, not emanating the light as the artist says in the book that she intended him to be. I thought he was peering toward the light, knowing he was going to get there in awhile, and probably having wisdom we don't have about what it would be like to get there so that he's neither in a hurry nor afraid to get there. Looking with anticipation, but in no hurry. I saw Tammy Faye Baker on TV several months ago talking about her cancer and when Larry King asked her if she was afraid to die, she said "no, but I don't want to be on the next bus, either." This little old man wouldn't mind if the next bus was his----he's in the moment and at peace.

I find this an extremely peaceful card. Very still and very beautiful, like being poised on a densely foggy cliff as the sun just breaks the horizon.

I like it as well either way---whether he's looking toward the light or emanating the light himself. Or both.
Top   #5