Mystic Glyphs

hunter

Can anyone tell me about this deck? Please, please tell me I'm going to like it better than the I Ching (with Bible verse) cards.

No Bible verses on the cards, right?

pippi

Nope, no bible verses on these cards. They are square cards with a simple Native American petroglyph on each, and the name of the symbol. The book explains the meaning of each card depending on what direction it is facing (since they are square, there are four possible meanings for most cards.)

I had to take my corner rounder to them because I couldn't deal with the sharp points. It's a neat little deck. I've only used it a few times, but they were very accurate for me. I think it's time to take them back out and give them a whirl.. thanks for the reminder! :)

hunter

link didn't work :-(

I like square cards. I have a corner trimmer.

I love simple glyphs and symbols. After learning them I can incorporate them into my doodles.

lightbug

That link didn't work for me either. :(

Another square "deck" (more like tiles) with glyphs you might like, Hunter, is Mary McNaughton's "Synchrosigns" - it's not tribal but this is one of my faves!
I couldn't find good pictures - but click here for a blog review. *Note these are pretty sturdy dispite what the reviewer says. I have had these for about 6-7 years (no glue) with only a little bit of the corners showing wear. I love them.

BodhiSeed

Here's a small picture of a few of the Mystic Glyphs cards on the back of the box:
https://faroutthings.com/xcart/product.php?productid=436&cat=267&page=1&js=n
I love mine, but used the corner rounder on them too.:D
I also like the Sychro-Signs (but find they give readings that are quite blunt and without mercy!).
Dang Lark, I wish you wouldn't have told us about the Ancestor's Path set!}):D

Mi-Shell

I was quite disappointed with this deck.
I have quite a reservoir of knowledge about Native American culture (teach it in schools and otherways...) and as well about petroglyphs and pictographs and other entoptic imagery worldwide......
I have to say that none of the "meanings" given to the cards are in unison with traditional teachings of any First Nations or any other indigenous People - or - for that matter - with anthropological knowledge.
Most of the glyphs are the drawings of the Author, Barb Rogers.
I find many of these meanings = the way they are presented, regardless of the previously mentioned things, rather patronizing.
That however may just be my personal taste.....

hunter

Mi-shell thanks for the review. I'll be interested to see if I too find them patronizing. As for the anthropological accuracy, I wouldn't know the difference and appreciate the heads up. Hopefully I'll at least be inspired by the doodle factor :)

Bodhran, thanks for the link. I like the look of the cards. I hope I like how they feel. Feel is VERY important to me.

Lark and lightbug thanks for the info on similar sets.

Pippi what are your current thoughts on the deck?

Mi-Shell

To me they "feel" hard and sharp edged...
I also think the backround color of the cards is too dark. It is a brownish grey, supposedly like sand or Earth but I feel it could have been lighter and mottled....
And I wonder, what strange colors the artist selected for the card backs??? To me they do not have a First Nations feel at all.....