Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Keavy McGee

Hello, everyone!! Things are not going at all as I'd planned, but they are going well!! :) I've already given up the idea of setting up a blog; it was taking up learning time I needed to spend with my deck, so I'm back to a handwritten journal, which is wonderful!! So far, I'm still working with the first card I drew 3 days ago...wow!! There's so much here!! I'm so glad I decided to do this!!

Best Wishes to everyone on a new week starting tomorrow!!

XOX

Keavy:heart:

SolSionnach

BBC it is!

I did a 5-card spread with 6 different decks: ORWS, BBC, Maat, Vachetta, Haindl, Ukiyoe.

I was amazed at how easy it was to read with the BBC, but I was troubled by one card, the King of Swords in the position of "what will our relationship be like long-term?" http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/357/Bohemian_Cats#50
I certainly was taken aback by his marionette - and this after the ace/cups for "What will our relationship be like during the IDS?"

Hmmm...

so I drew a clarification card - the 8/Pents: http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/357/Bohemian_Cats# and suddenly it was completely clear! the King was telling me that things would be far from finished at the end of 3 months - I'd still be working hard with the cards.

So, we'll see how this works out. My IDS is with BBC, and the DA/PO. :)

I seriously considered the charming Ukiyoe (and I may well do an Umbrae-style breaking in on that deck during the IDS, so I can use it in September - it's so crispy that shuffling almost hurts!), but after drawing that 8/Pents, and seeing what a quick read the BBC is, I had to give it a go. :) :) :p

Promise

Keavy~

I'm so glad you're enjoying your IDS with the Vanessa! I use a wordpress blog for my tarot-related stuff, and I find that it works well for me and is quite simple, but to each his own; if a hand-written journal works best for you, then go for it!

sravana~

Hooray for kitties! I am already owned by a cat in the real world, and I'm afraid if I spent too much time with my BBC, dear Mr. Bojangles would get too jealous. I'm glad you seem to have such a connection with your chosen deck. Welcome aboard, welcome aboard!

I hope everyone has an amazing Monday and a blessed week!

Cat*

(List updated until here. Thanks for the PMs to make me aware of deck changes/choices.)

After a weekend dedicated to a spirituality workshop and very little tarot time (just one end of day 3-card reading), I'm back at it. More later. :)

Bloudwedd

thorhammer said:
Can you do both, Bloudwedd? Draw and blog about your daily card, and journal on the cards in order from Fool onwards? Personally, I'm not a fan of following a deck in order (too forced for me) but if that structure helps you, then there's no reason to eliminate it. Likewise, I agree that daily draws can help to add a more concrete meaning to the card, as well as help to understand daily events. I think the two practices would be very complementary.

\m/ Kat

Well I DID thought doing it in the "right" order would help me. But obviously not since I only got frustrated about it! Wo now I am back to my old Daily Draw situation! Weeee!!!! :-D

Faolainn Storm

Well, I saw something that made me laugh so much this morning I just had to share it.

I was going out to lunch with a friend for her birthday, and to get to where I was meeting her I had to catch a tram then a train. The tram is a route that I often use (I don't drive), but haven't travelled on in a few months. I was looking idlely out the window, watching the shops go past and then I saw it: a new shop, called - of all things - I.D.S.!! :D :D

I had only been thinking about the IDS a few hours earlier, and thinking about taking a day off. Well, what a sign - three foot high and illuminated! Can't ask for more!

FS

jema

did blog a bit about my midsummer card (in swedish over here http://pixelinatarot.wordpress.com) and have been looking through the deck a few times, seems like it is a week for 7:s
i don't really do daily draws or go in any kind of order - i rather just pick up whatever card i fancy that moment and all through the weekend i could not get past the 7:s so i definatly gotta blog about them - after i finish making dinner for my brother tongiht (french onionsoup with toast)

Keavy McGee

Promise said:
Keavy~

I'm so glad you're enjoying your IDS with the Vanessa! I use a wordpress blog for my tarot-related stuff, and I find that it works well for me and is quite simple, but to each his own; if a hand-written journal works best for you, then go for it!
Promise~ I did it!! I got a blog at wordpress, too :) Not too fancy but the only rabidly pink template they had!! The Vanessa just has to have party colours, donchaknow :laugh: Thanks!!

XOX

Keavy:heart:

SolSionnach

Promise said:
sravana~
Hooray for kitties! I am already owned by a cat in the real world, and I'm afraid if I spent too much time with my BBC, dear Mr. Bojangles would get too jealous. I'm glad you seem to have such a connection with your chosen deck. Welcome aboard, welcome aboard!
I hope everyone has an amazing Monday and a blessed week!
Thanks, Promise!
The odd thing about this is that I'm TOTALLY a dog person. I've never been owned by a cat, and generally aren't that interested in them as a species. That being said, I do love individual kitties who own my friends, and am very happy to have them in my life.

I tend to be attracted to 'spiritual' decks: Maat, Greenwood, Tarot of the Spirit, etc - but I find them v. difficult to read with... difficult to the point that I was thinking that I'd lost the ability to read at all! :bugeyed: So I was shocked when I pulled out the boho cats, and they were such an easy read. Thus - I'm using them for the duration.

My IDS pledge: between today (6/23) and 9/22/08

1) I will use my BBC and DA/PO decks every day, either studying the cards, or shuffle, shuffle, shuffling them, or meditating with them (or "Umbraeing" them, in the case of the DA/PO)

2) I will do a daily draw every day and post on the thread here, *unless* I'm visiting my tarot-phobic parents, in which case I'll take a break.

3) I will use the books that come with the deck, online druid resources, and 3 books: Mary Greer's Court Cards book, Joan Bunning's Learning the Tarot, and Lady Lorelei's Tarot Life Planner in my studies.

4) I will use the Umbrae Method (tm) on my DA/PO, so I don't kill myself shuffling them (hoping that they don't puff up to the point that I can't fit them into the special bag that I had Sulis make for them!).

5) I will support others in this process here, and will ask for help when I need it here, as well.

6) I will not read with any other deck during this time, however, I will not attempt to enforce a 'no looking' rule, or 'no buying' rule. That being said, I will not do deck comparisons as a part of my study (save pictures which may be in one of my study books).

7) I will journal when I feel like it, both in my computer and online, using my long-ignored esoteric blog. I will not make any pledges concerning establishing a page-a-day journal or some such, because I don't need that added stress (plus I'm studying Japanese).

I *may* do the Umbrae on my Ukiyoe during this time. I wish I had a title card to practice on with it since it's OOP...

More later. I'm off to shuffle shuffle shuffle.. :)

SolSionnach

Two suggestions:
1) can we put a link from the very first post to Cat*'s post that lists who's working with what deck?
2) One thing that folks did during the first IDS was to put a note in their signature line as to which deck they were using. That way it's easier to figure out what deck folks are referring to in their posts. You can edit your signature by going to the "User CP" link above, and looking for "edit signature"

HTH!

Sravana