Intensive Deck Study Support Thread ~ Part 2

Keavy McGee

sravana said:
Two suggestions:
1) can we put a link from the very first post to Cat*'s post that lists who's working with what deck?
Sravana
Hi Sravana!! There is one!! It's the last line :)

XOX

Keavy:heart:

SolSionnach

Keavy McGee said:
Hi Sravana!! There is one!! It's the last line :)

XOX

Keavy:heart:

Oh sheesh. lol

Thanks, Keavy

I'm Umbraeing my DAO - thus far it's looking good! :)
That being said, I'm glad that I don't need to do this to the BBC... too terrifying!

Eugenia Madora

It was a busy weekend so I was only able to shuffle and look through the cards.

I confess to being on Trade Train #11, aka the Dungeons and Dragons Solstice Local.
I did choose a deck and if the trades hold up I will have a second Druidcraft to trim.

I think I will follow the order in the book except I will save the Court Cards for last. Once I start working with the cards that may all change!

It's a little cooler here today so I may even go outside with the cards and do a new deck interview.

Summer has arrived!

thorhammer

Bloudwedd said:
Well I DID thought doing it in the "right" order would help me. But obviously not since I only got frustrated about it! Wo now I am back to my old Daily Draw situation! Weeee!!!! :-D
I started out on my IDS doing this, and I'd spend a few days contemplating and kind of *living with* the card that seemed to mean something to me at that point.

What I found happening was that I'd become curious about the links to other cards that I could see in that particular one - like if I got the 8 of Swords, then I'd be curious about the 7 and 9 of Swords, and all the other 8's. It helps to work outwards from them, I find. See what other cards your Daily Card points to, and journal about the links that you see, and what that helps you to understand.

Just some ideas for you!

@ sravana - I'm inclined to agree about the signature :) it helps to not have to constantly go searching for what deck someone's using, when there are so many people participating!

\m/ Kat

mosaica

I'm not doing a formal IDS, but I've been working pretty much exclusively with Marseille decks (mostly the Noblet) for eight weeks, which is longer than my original IDS lasted!

Go for it, Promise! And everyone else have fun. :)

quiet0ne

I'm in!

after much contemplation i've decided to take a whirl on the IDS wheel! i've been too shy/lazy/intimidated to join before. however, no more holding back!

i'll primarily use my Victorian Romantic, because i LOVE this deck but have found very few opportunities tow work with it until now. it'll be supplemented by my Osho Zen.

my pledges:
-single card morning daily draw with my VR
-single card evening draw a couple times a week using my Osho Zen with the question of, "what will I dream about tonight?"
-weekly three card draw
-keep track of all daily draws on my ipod calendar journal
-4 major arcana cards per week (roughly every other day) to study intensively (google, wiki, symbolism, history, how its drawn in other decks)
-support fellow IDSers
-have fun!

time frame:
almost 2 months, or until I run out of major arcana :)

Promise

Welcome to those still jumping in and joining us!

Instead of being a "normal" person and starting with the Majors, I've decided to begin with a suit study on the Coins. It's definitely going to take me longer than I expected it would, but I'm really having fun with it! Yes, I said it. FUN! I'm learning a lot about the deck, but I'm also really nailing down what my personal reading style is, and what each card and suit really means to me. I love it.

In trying to put into words what the suit represents to me, I was struck by the fact that there are flowers or vines on every single Coin card in this deck. For some reason, that was an "Aha!" moment for me. The suit of Coins isn't just money and physical health and jobs and careers and hobbies and crafts; it's that which we are responsible for nourishing and nurturing, just like a living plant. That's probably an old concept to everyone else, but for some reason, it kinda hit me like a fully loaded truck.

Most of the other pip cards in the Jean Noblet feature the same kinds of vines and floral patterns, but the Coins are the only suit in this deck in which every single pip card features them. Maybe it's just a personal thing, but I find that very significant, and I thought I'd share with you guys.

Emily

I think I too need some kind of laid out study path. The Liber T is doing its usual thing of giving me the same card over again, I don't seem to be getting any new cards LOL.

So I think I may start with the Swords Ace through to 10 - and see how I go from there. :) Because at the moment I seem to be spending more time shuffling this deck than reading it.

thorhammer

Promise said:
Instead of being a "normal" person and starting with the Majors, I've decided to begin with a suit study on the Coins.
LOL I know what you mean - I'm being almost entirely unstructured! But it seems to be working for me - I've done the Fives, Sixes, Sevens, Nines, Tens, and the Courts for Disks, Wands and Cups, as well as some of the Tarot Tree! This is the most disciplined I've ever been with any deck study, and i'm so pleased with my progress. Trying to force yourself into a mould that just doens't suit you won't ever work. You've got to go with what you feel is *the flow*.
Promise said:
In trying to put into words what the suit represents to me, I was struck by the fact that there are flowers or vines on every single Coin card in this deck. For some reason, that was an "Aha!" moment for me. The suit of Coins isn't just money and physical health and jobs and careers and hobbies and crafts; it's that which we are responsible for nourishing and nurturing, just like a living plant. That's probably an old concept to everyone else, but for some reason, it kinda hit me like a fully loaded truck.
This is not an old concept for me at all! Thankyou for sharing with us, it's brilliant, and to hear your story of how you came to it is wonderful. Sweet!

\m/ Kat

Disa

thorhammer said:
I started out on my IDS doing this, and I'd spend a few days contemplating and kind of *living with* the card that seemed to mean something to me at that point.

What I found happening was that I'd become curious about the links to other cards that I could see in that particular one - like if I got the 8 of Swords, then I'd be curious about the 7 and 9 of Swords, and all the other 8's. It helps to work outwards from them, I find. See what other cards your Daily Card points to, and journal about the links that you see, and what that helps you to understand.

Just some ideas for you!

\m/ Kat

This is a GREAT idea, kat. I still have trouble making connections. I've realized with this IDS that I haven't lost all the meanings I knew before working with the Tarot of the Crone, but I still don't see how cards in a spread connect to each other very well. Hopefully, by reading more for others I will start to see the connections, but so far, it just hasn't been clicking.

Welcome, quiet one.

Glad to hear how well everyone is progressing so far. It's so true that we have to find what works for us and keeps us going, Anything else seems structured and forced, then it becomes not so much fun. So let it grow and evolve, give yourselves some space. Have FUN!