Dark Carnival Deck

Sar

I just ordered it. Hope she ships it out fast to me.

Tarot Orat

thanks, Orat (which I just realized is "taro" backwards...how cool!)

most if not all cussin actually comes from rap lyrics from the different "dark carnival" artists that inspire the deck....not that there's TOO much of that. i tried to keep it tasteful and within reason, as this is a serious deck for serious collectors. (serious clown business, i suppose)

the passage you give in particular comes from a song called "crystal ball"....one of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkvMI-ywR1Y

Enjoy!

There's a famous not-quite-palindromic phrase, "ROTA TARO ORAT TORA ATOR" - "the wheel of Tarot speaks the law of Ator" (an ancient deity) - and I borrowed my handle from it. I like wordplay and the actual meaning, "Tarot Speaks," is really what it's all about to me!

I didn't know how much of the book was drawn from the lyrics - I'll have to give a listen to some of their music! It'll help me with connecting deeper to the cards, too, since you give a lyric for each card in the deck, and I'm only VERY vaguely familiar w/ any of their songs. On the one hand, it's totally not the style of music I usually listen to; on the other hand, I've done deep research into Renaissance history and Native American spiritualism and the Hebrew alphabet in the course of my Tarot journey, is researching a modern music really so different? Just because it isn't ancient doesn't mean it can't be deep, and just because they're rappers and I'm an opera lover doesn't mean they can't speak to me!

rachelpaul

That's really wonderful, Orat. It's true that you can find inspiration in many places if you look closely enough.

In terms of this deck, I think that "wisdom never looked so strange." :)

dreamingwitch

As time goes on, I connect with these cards more and more. The art is just incredible. This is one of my top decks of 2012. Truly a gem!

Tarot Orat

After a week and a half using other decks for my Deck of the Week daily draws, I still find myself picking up the Dark Carnival for in-depth readings! I think I may need to make another commitment to it soon...maybe my PDR or even ISG deck. And I totally need to get some of the albums to listen to! It's not my "type" but how often have I said that and discovered that something really did work for me? (Um, often.)

Tarot Orat

I started an Individual Deck Study interest-gauging thread here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=185476. (That's what I meant by ISG, I got my acronyms confused. Individual Deck Study is IDS.)

Anyone interested in joining me for an in-depth study, please comment on the linked thread! That ISN'T an actual IDS thread though, just checking if there are people who'd like to do it. If I get 3-5 positive responses, I'll ask the forum moderator if we can start a new IDS.

Sar

Came today, I love it!

rachelpaul

Came today, I love it!

Glad to hear it, Sar! I was thrilled to send it your way. It is very good to have friends in distant lands :)

flying black kat

I Love This Deck

I just got my deck yesterday. I love this deck. I am delighted with book, the cards, and the whole premiss. I got 1 for my son who introduced me to ICP years ago. This is one of the decks that beside the Greenwood and the CBC Tarot de Marseille that will be used and studied for me.

Be at Peace and Walk in Beauty

Kathy

dreamingwitch

Oddly enough, I can't stand ICP. I never liked them. I'm more of a Fleetwood Mac fan, if you can imagine. And, of course, as a Jersey girl, there's Bon Jovi...

In any case, ICP is far from what I'd call "music." I don't like it one bit.

But I do still love this deck SO much. It transcends and is truly original and wonderful. So much talent. And that's no clowning around