GENTLE vs KICK IN THE PANTS Oracles?

greatdane

For those who use oracles much, which, through artwork or message, do you put in the category of gentle vs a kick in the pants to what you need to see whether or not you wish to?

Are there some you turn to when you need comfort and support and some you use when you feel a stronger, more in your face message?

Belinda2

Graven images Oracle tells it like it is no matter the subject matter. More positive affirming decks are too many to mention.

greatdane

Oh thanks, Belinda2! for that reminder

Yes, I remember a few years back, I got a free reading online by the Graven Images deck. I thought it was an interesting reading and I like the look of the deck.

While some of the images seem especially serene, I do believe it told it like it is!

Penthasilia

There are so few "kick in the pants" oracles that I tend to avoid oracle decks as they seem so samey when it comes to meanings.

Yes, indeed, I made up a word.

But I am sure you get what I mean. ;)

For that reason alone- I caved and ordered the Cosmos tarot and oracle set- which really is like one big oracle as it doesn't follow traditional tarot at all. If you look at some of the YouTube vids- the messages and keywords on those do not play- so I am looking forward to seeing it and working with something that has some meat to it. Plus- with the amount of cards- I can see it being one that can be used often, versus others with less cards that tend to give the same messages over, and over, and over.... regardless of comfy vs in your face.

MoonGypsy

For that reason alone- I caved and ordered the Cosmos tarot and oracle set- which really is like one big oracle as it doesn't follow traditional tarot at all. If you look at some of the YouTube vids- the messages and keywords on those do not play- so I am looking forward to seeing it and working with something that has some meat to it. Plus- with the amount of cards- I can see it being one that can be used often, versus others with less cards that tend to give the same messages over, and over, and over.... regardless of comfy vs in your face.

Oooh, i wasn't aware of this deck! i went to the website and i really like the look of it...

Onion Budgie

Insectorum Divinorum is my go-to pants-kicker oracle. "Watch out behiiiiind you, you big jerkfaaaaaace," it screeches at you, in euphemisms.

For a gentler deck, I suppose Messages From Your Angels is the most affirmationally fluffy one that I have.

barefootlife

Agreeing that the Cosmos tarot and oracle is actually just a big oracle deck, and it's pretty no-nonsense. A Curious Oracle is almost unknown as far as I can tell (you can find it on Etsy), but it has some pretty tough-love cards, as well as a fairly unique system to help understand the cards. Earthbound Oracle is another one, at least for me. I find it very blunt, like the wood it was originally made from.

Gentle oracle wise, SoulCards can go either way. There are good mix of uplifting cards and profoundly sad and difficult ones. Animal Spirit, by the maker of the Wild Unknown, definitely mixes positive and negative, but I personally don't find those cards lend themselves toward multiple-card readings, more as an addition to a tarot reading. Truly fuffy decks don't really have a place in my collection, because I find an overabundance of sunshine and rainbows offputting.

Emily

I also use the Soul Cards, especially Pack 1. It does have a mix of cards that I like and cards that I don't. There are no rules with them, no pre-set meanings and because of that you would think they would be easy to use.

But it is quite hard-hitting, you see what you want to see in the images but because there are no meanings, the next time you get that card, the image will bring up different feelings. I also mix these cards by swirling them so they get turned upside down, so cards can look so different reversed.

I've been buying a few different oracles these last few weeks/months and am slowly working my way through them all but I still pull the Soul cards out regularly, if only to do a dailies with them.

theFeeLion

There are so few "kick in the pants" oracles that I tend to avoid oracle decks as they seem so samey when it comes to meanings.

I agree with you here. I'm not yet ready to delve into tarot but most oracle decks just leave me wanting. Too much light and not enough shadow to balance out the deck.

I love the look of this deck(s)! It's so beautiful! :D I've been on the fence for a while about whether or not to get this but I think that now knowing it's more like one big oracle, I might just have to cave as well!

Insectorum Divinorum is my go-to pants-kicker oracle. "Watch out behiiiiind you, you big jerkfaaaaaace," it screeches at you, in euphemisms.

Lol I had to laugh when I read this! That sounds like a fun deck!

I only have three decks as it's taken me a while to find artwork and philosophy that appeals to me, plus I like decks that have a decent amount of cards to them and most oracle decks are too small for my liking.

I've found The Messenger Oracle is more on the fluffy side than I wanted. I love the artwork too much though so I might have to see what shadows I can tease out of this deck.

Russian Gypsy cards seem to be pretty straight talking and no nonsense. I haven't had these long (got them at the same time as the Messenger cards a couple of weeks ago), so I still have to get used to them properly, but they seem to go over well with other people too. Although sometimes I feel like their blows need to be softened slightly. They can be a bit piano-through-the-window!

My hands-down favourite for both sweet messages and kick-in-the-pants-ing would have to be Froud's Faeries Oracle. I've found with these guys they seem to know just which type of message you need and give it to you with appropriate force. It's a nicely balanced deck with plenty of cards (66) so you don't feel like you are getting the same cards over and over again. The other thing I like is that you really get double the cards because reversals are used which adds a whole new layer of meaning.

Fee :love:

AnemoneRosie

You could look in to the Arthur Rackham oracle, perhaps. I also find the Earthbound to be quite blunt and no-nonsense. You can search for sample readings of mine in both instances.