Modern Marseilles

Le Fanu

I held my tongue and didn't mention the ISIS as it didn't seem to be quite what the OP was asking about - but it really is stunning and readable and it feels like a brand new deck but with echoes of something older. It stands the test of time for me. I have loved and used it since it was released in 2010.

There's also the Le Grand Tarot Universel Bruno de Nys Marseilles which I come back to occasionally. The link shows only the Majors (scroll down) but it's a 78 card deck.

velvetina

Would you count Royo's Labyrinth Tarot?

I would, but I'm not a purist.

(the Madonni? maybe?)

Le Fanu

I think there's a difference between Marseilles decks, with a hint of the traditional images or maybe something more explicit and a modern deck with non-scenic and unillustrated pips.

For me the Royo and Maddonni aren't Marseilles decks. My criteria is just that the Majors should look like they are based on the old woodcut images, not completely reimagined. The Bruno de Nys is a classic example, as is the one by Chris Butler, the Millenaire Marseilles (?)

Penthasilia

I think there's a difference between Marseilles decks, with a hint of the traditional images or maybe something more explicit and a modern deck with non-scenic and unillustrated pips.

For me the Royo and Maddonni aren't Marseilles decks. My criteria is just that the Majors should look like they are based on the old woodcut images, not completely reimagined. The Bruno de Nys is a classic example, as is the one by Chris Butler, the Millenaire Marseilles (?)

Yes. Agreed. And I had the ISIS and just couldn't gel with it but do love the Mon Tarot de Marseille and the de Nys looks amazing as well.

Really wish the Le Tarot Noir was smaller.

And I am much looking forward to the one from Baba Studio.

Richard

There is nothing wrong with preferring decks which are more modern than the old woodblock TdMs. However, perhaps there should be a point at which the style of a deck deviates so much from the historical decks that it cannot honestly be called a "Marseille." Otherwise, the designation could gradually become so vague as to be meaningless.

I know this is a semantic distinction, but without semantics, communication becomes very problematic.

devilkitty

I recall a brief mention, with some illustrations, in the Lo Scarabeo 20th Anniversary book of a TdM rendered by Andrea Serio.

It was rather stunning to my eye, but evidently never progressed beyond studies for a handful of cards.

Penthasilia

Baba Studios is making a Marseille deck??!
I think I missed something.. More info please?

Really? Do tell.

Called the Mythical Creatures Tarot- they sent out an email asking for interested people to sign up.

http://baba-store.us1.list-manage2.com/subscribe?u=6c702abf1992402f857283f1c&id=bbcc89e781

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=6c702abf1992402f857283f1c&id=ab0ad82230&e=[UNIQID]

They also have a bit of info on Facebook as well

:)

felicityk

If this isn't the appropriate area on the forum- please feel free to move. I just figured there might be more luck here.

Other than Le Tarot Noir, Mon Tarot de Marseille from the now defunct Tarotland site, or the unavailable De La Rea, are there any other modern interpretations/decks?

I had never seen Mon Tarot de Marseille before, and now I want it! I found tarotland.com accessible, and the deck is there for purchase, but the site is only in French and I don't see an option to ship to the US. Does anyone have suggestions?