Géomancia - Le Tarot de la Terre by Chantal Mehiel

MareSaturni

Hi!

Well, i just found this deck and decided to bring it home because i'm a Geomancy lover and it's SO hard to find stuff about this here. The name is Géomancia - Le Tarot de la Terre by Chantal Mehiel. 'Geomancy - The Tarot of the Earth' in english, i guess.

Does anyone else know this deck? I suppose Canadian ATF members might know it, since it's a canadian deck, originally in French.

The cards are boring - a deck of 64 cards divided in two groups: one with one dot and the other with two dots. That's it. No scenes, no colors. That's because you read this oracle forming one (or more) of the 16 geomantic figures using of said cards. Each figure is formed by four cards.

Here you can read more about Western Geomancy & the Geomantic figures: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomancy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomantic_figures

Anyway, the book is by far the most interesting thing about the deck. It helps you to read the Geomantic figures in the most different kinds of questions.

This deck somewhat reminds me of Richard Seidman's 'The Oracle of Kabbalah' - cards of extreme simplicity, with a book that helps you to understand the great depth behind them. Truth be said, not very intuitive, until you get the hang of it.

The books offers you a short overview of each figure's meaning in the first part, then the rest of the book is dedicated to the way this figures interact in life's most different situations. It also shows different ways of laying the cards.

I haven't tried the cards yet, but i've been always attracted to Geomancy's simplicity, so i think i will enjoy it. The Geomancy is also used in Ana Cortez 'The Playing Card Oracles' method, so it can be used with playing cards too, because both PCs and Geomancy are binary 'methods' : odds/evens, red/black, one dot/two dots etc.

I'm posting this here because some people out there (who knows?) might be curious about Geomancy and this deck is very good for beginners too. Unfortunately, i think it's only available in French and in Portuguese right now :(

I'm also hoping i'll find other people interested in Geomancy to share, to learn and discuss this underrated but very old system of divinations.

Alta

An oracle that I use, Druid Sticks, is just another method to get the geomantic figures for divination. Like the I Ching, where a number of methods could be used to build the hexagrams, so with geomancy. I like the Druid sticks for their simplicity too.
They are four flat sided sticks. Each stick has one mark on one side and two marks on the other. When 'shuffled' and laid out they form one of the 16 geomantic figures. Works well. I got most of the info on the figures from the internet.

Alta

MareSaturni

Alta said:
An oracle that I use, Druid Sticks, is just another method to get the geomantic figures for divination. Like the I Ching, where a number of methods could be used to build the hexagrams, so with geomancy. I like the Druid sticks for their simplicity too.
They are four flat sided sticks. Each stick has one mark on one side and two marks on the other. When 'shuffled' and laid out they form one of the 16 geomantic figures. Works well. I got most of the info on the figures from the internet.

Alta

Yes, that's the idea :)
I know there is a kind of geomancy that's used with the Feng-Shui, but the kind that i study is the western one...i think it's to most common one two, with the well-known 16 geomantic figures and all. Learning to use them with playing cards really enhanced my readings!

Your oracle seems SO interesting, and simple. I really have been turning my attention to oracles & tarot decks that are more 'simple', without a gazillion of symbolos from every occult order or culture out there. Has been helping me to...keep my mind calmer.

It's great to see someone using geomancy too :)
I'm surprised that this divinatory art is so ancient and, yet, people rarely remember it!

Alta

I have done a number of readings here using them and generally they work extremely well.

Idly combing the internet after reading this thread, I discovered a group who does readings for business meetings and this is one of the services they offered.

Even a year ago when I got mine I only found one place online that mentioned them, and this year there are several pages of url's. Must be upcoming.

Another Aeclectic member has a set, as I just got them for her (hint, hint) :D

Bernice

Marina: ...to the way this figures interact in life's most different situations. It also shows different ways of laying the cards.
I am familiar with geomancy, but not seen it explained in a way to apply to many different situations. I also have the Playing Card Oracles (set), it's the geomancy that I like about it, not so much the cards.

Is the book in English?

Bee

MareSaturni

Bernice said:
I am familiar with geomancy, but not seen it explained in a way to apply to many different situations. I also have the Playing Card Oracles (set), it's the geomancy that I like about it, not so much the cards.

Is the book in English?

Bee

Unfortunately, i have not found in the web any site saying that the book exists in English. I have it in Portuguese, and i know it exists in French, it's original language.

My Géomancia set comes with the cards, the book and a LWB (yes, both), with the short version of what is in the book. I could attempt a translation of it, if anyone is interested :)

Marina