Position of Man/Woman

Village Witch

Just this morning I laid an 8X4 GT for a friend. The MAN and WOMAN cards showed up in the last four positions, 34 & 36. Should I continue with the read or lay another spread?

My thoughts are to draw another spread, yet I am not so sure. I have not yet taken a further look at the spread. If I am going to lay another spread, I don't want to know what this spread says.

(I take pictures of my spreads and upload them to my computer for further reference. So I have not lost this spread.)

I read somewhere that if the MAN or WOMAN are in the last column of a spread to redraw the spread. I've never drawn a spread with the MAN/WOMAN in the the last four cards. Now that I think about it, I have had a few spreads with the MAN/WOMAN in the last row of a 4X9.

I just might go ahead and read this spread. Your thoughts?

Jen P

I personally go ahead and read it. It means there's a lot going on and the people don't feel in control of his/her/their situation. That's what I learned. You can always switch it to a 9x4 if you want.

***Also there are a few videos on Not Fortune's Fool 's youtube channel where she shows how to deal with this type of situation. I believe there are a few kipper videos that move cards around to sort of mirror cards on the edges of the spread, but one or more of them combines lenormand and kipper. She's a brilliant reader and the videos are well worth watching. For your purposes you'll want the ones with spreads in them

Ultimately you should go with your gut instinct. I feel if the cards came down that way, there's a message there.

Hope this helps.

Tag_jorrit

I'm with Jen P about reading what you lay. If you are committed to the cards, you must trust that the message they are imparting are contained in the spread in front of you -- at least that's the way I see it.

There are several ways to read a GT including method of distance, and permutations of past/ present & future so you have to decide before you lay the cards how you plan to read them. Location of the Signifier is important, obviously, but the meanings are somewhat affected based on the method you are using.

Teheuti

Just this morning I laid an 8X4 GT for a friend. The MAN and WOMAN cards showed up in the last four positions, 34 & 36. Should I continue with the read or lay another spread?
. . . .
I just might go ahead and read this spread. Your thoughts?
I tend to learn a lot by reading difficult spreads. In one of my first GTs for myself, my Significator was in the bottom row (position 35?). I had just started reading it when my ex called and spoke to me for about an hour about everything that was happening in his life, including stuff about our daughter who felt hurt by some things he said to her. There was really nothing I could do about his issues, so I just listened. When he hung up I looked at the spread and it was all there - everything he had talked about!

One tradition says that the cards above the significator are events happening to you. Things you can't do anything about. You have choices about and can influence more the cards that are beneath you. Well, that perfectly described the reading, as it was synchronous with my listening to him on the phone. I took solace in there not really being anything I could do about the state of my ex's life.

Does this make any sense in your situation? Do the cards relate more to world events, or to things outside the control of you and of your significant other?

Barleywine

Since I mainly use the "distance method" as described by Andy Boroveshengra and not the linear past/present/future approach, having the significator all the way to the right leaves nothing to "chew on" regarding what is most influential in the life of the person signified. Having it all the way to the bottom would be less unproductive since it could mean that the person is in control of nothing and is completely at the mercy of circumstances; that one I can read. In the first case, I tend to pick up the cards and lay a new spread (although I might follow Rana George's suggestion to take a "quick-and-dirty" look at what's there before doing so). I once had it happen twice at the same sitting, and I gave up the reading until another day.

Village Witch

I personally go ahead and read it. It means there's a lot going on and the people don't feel in control of his/her/their situation.

That makes sense. I gave a quick look to the spread and I see some concerns that I know to be true. I will definitely give the spread a further read.

***Also there are a few videos on Not Fortune's Fool 's youtube channel where she shows how to deal with this type of situation. I believe there are a few kipper videos that move cards around to sort of mirror cards on the edges of the spread, but one or more of them combines lenormand and kipper. She's a brilliant reader and the videos are well worth watching. For your purposes you'll want the ones with spreads in them

I will definitely check those videos out. Thank you!

Ultimately you should go with your gut instinct. I feel if the cards came down that way, there's a message there.

Hope this helps.

It helps a lot. :)

Village Witch

There are several ways to read a GT including method of distance, and permutations of past/ present & future so you have to decide before you lay the cards how you plan to read them. Location of the Signifier is important, obviously, but the meanings are somewhat affected based on the method you are using.

At the moment, I do not give a lot of attention to distance. P/P/F works best for me. I see P/P/F playing out in this spread, especially since I know a lot about the querent. I would rather read for a querent I know nothing about, although it gets exciting seeing what I know about a person play out in the cards.

Village Witch

I tend to learn a lot by reading difficult spreads. In one of my first GTs for myself, my Significator was in the bottom row (position 35?). I had just started reading it when my ex called and spoke to me for about an hour about everything that was happening in his life, including stuff about our daughter who felt hurt by some things he said to her. There was really nothing I could do about his issues, so I just listened. When he hung up I looked at the spread and it was all there - everything he had talked about!

One tradition says that the cards above the significator are events happening to you. Things you can't do anything about. You have choices about and can influence more the cards that are beneath you. Well, that perfectly described the reading, as it was synchronous with my listening to him on the phone. I took solace in there not really being anything I could do about the state of my ex's life.

Does this make any sense in your situation? Do the cards relate more to world events, or to things outside the control of you and of your significant other?

I see the MAN in the spread feeling out of control over spending cost for higher education. I haven't read much further in the spread so far.

You are right that this is a difficult spread for me... or was... till you all gave me good advice. Sometimes in life we do feel out of control or that our situation controls us. So I will continue with the read. Obviously this is not an in-person read. :-D

Village Witch

Since I mainly use the "distance method" as described by Andy Boroveshengra and not the linear past/present/future approach, having the significator all the way to the right leaves nothing to "chew on" regarding what is most influential in the life of the person signified. Having it all the way to the bottom would be less unproductive since it could mean that the person is in control of nothing and is completely at the mercy of circumstances; that one I can read. In the first case, I tend to pick up the cards and lay a new spread (although I might follow Rana George's suggestion to take a "quick-and-dirty" look at what's there before doing so). I once had it happen twice at the same sitting, and I gave up the reading until another day.

I'm currently reading Andy's book too. I am finding the distance method a hard road to go. P/P/F makes much more sense to me, but I am willing to learn Andy's method at least to see if it fits me or not. I read what is to the left of the querent as past, no matter what line the querent falls in. As my querent is the last card at the bottom of the fourth row in an 8x4x4, everything in rows 1-3 are behind her.

I find sometime that not being in control of circumstances can be a reality for some folks. Describes my current financial situation. *sigh*

Thanks to everyone for the replies! :)