View Single Post
Citizen

Chiriku 

aduki,

Your response was very welcome. Thank you for taking a crack at my question. You have answered it beyond my expectations.

I know the book you are talking about and yes, I deduced that it contained more or less the same information in the two previously published full-sized companion books (both of which I have), so I chose not to buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aduki View Post

So I don’t think it was the intention of the Matthewses to relate each card to a particular story or a particular character, but to an archetype, that is expressed differently in the different stories.

For example: about the Spear King is stated: “He is that part of you that is deeply committed to healing that which has been wounded” (p 188). Then book goes on giving EXAMPLES of this archetype in the Arthurian stories, like Bran the Blessed. Then the book goes on: “But perhaps the most famous exemplar of this role is King Pelles …”
You explained and provided support for this theory very well--I thank you.

I believe where I went astray is that I was thinking of the Court cards in particular from the perspective of the majority of the other "narrative" tarot decks out there (the Mythic, the fairy tale decks, Robert Place's Vampire deck which is based on the life story and works of Bram Stoker, etc). In most such narrative decks, the Courts are firmly assigned to one story, character or personage whom we are meant to conjure up (and relate to that character's traits and life events) when the card comes up in a reading.

And indeed, in most tarot decks--not just narrative ones--none of the Minors including the Courts are really 'archetypal,' not the way the Majors are. The Courts usually represent personality types, but they are still limited to individual people--hence, my instinctive assumption that the Courts in this deck must correlate to specific people.

But as you have shown here, it seems the Matthewses had a different vision for their deck, one where Courts as well as Majors are archetypal.

This is the key to my understanding and being able to let go of the previous "mental dissonance" I experienced when comparing the descriptions within the various companion texts to this deck.

Quote:

Btw: The Wounded King in my book is referred to as: “This card indicates an aspect of Arthur himself as the wounded Grail king, unable to move about his land, dependent on the wise actions of independent questing knights who work without any seeming coordination.”
Wonderful quote. This adds to my understanding of this crucially important (in my life) archetype.

Quote:
PS And for those who are wondering, I'm still working on this course, but at my own pace, which is very very slow. Actually, at the moment, I’m celebrating my two year anniversary by rereading everything I wrote this far.
Good on you. As of now, I don't plan on following the seasonal course in a strict sense, and I imagine I too will take a few years to get to everything before all is said and done.
Top   #87