Which is the Thoth Tarot that people feel is spooky?

Emily

Another thing I like about the Thoth is the Knight/King aspect. It threw me when I first saw the deck, I thought all the Kings were missing, but when I counted the cards, they were all there. I knew nothing about the Thoth and had never seen any online images of it.

But saying that I did know of Aleister Crowley, just didn't know that he had designed a tarot deck. I like that he made a deck where the Queen is head of the Court cards and the Knight isn't a King but the Queen's consort.

Aeon418

I like that he made a deck where the Queen is head of the Court cards and the Knight isn't a King but the Queen's consort.

I am unaware of Crowley describing the court cards in this way. It certainly differs from his description in the Book of Thoth where he describes the use of the title of 'Knight' as an attempt at reconciling two different views of the court cards.

The first view is the Hebrew system which is based on IHVH. Father/King + Mother/Queen = Son/Prince & Daughter/Princess. But as Crowley points out, this scheme represents a causeless beginning and a sterile end.

To inject some life into this static formula Crowley names the initial masculine card the Knight. This renaming reflects a more circular, pagan system where the Knight is the 'virile wanderer' who wins the hand of the old King's daughter. He thereby makes her the new Queen and himself the new King.

Emily

To inject some life into this static formula Crowley names the initial masculine card the Knight. This renaming reflects a more circular, pagan system where the Knight is the 'virile wanderer' who wins the hand of the old King's daughter. He thereby makes her the new Queen and himself the new King.

In the Thoth, I've always seen the Queen as the head of the Courts, the Knight might take the hand of the old King's daughter but she would still be Queen with or without him, but he would never be King, always a Knight, always Queens consort.

But this is just my opinion and how I like to read the Thoth. :)

Aeon418

In the Thoth, I've always seen the Queen as the head of the Courts, the Knight might take the hand of the old King's daughter but she would still be Queen with or without him, but he would never be King, always a Knight, always Queens consort.

But this is just my opinion and how I like to read the Thoth. :)
You're free to project whatever meaning you want onto the cards.

Crowley intended the Knights to reflect the Rex Nemorensis. The Knight is the one who claims the throne by killing the old king, thereby injecting new 'fire' and vitality into the court card cycle. Of course he only holds the throne until a new stronger challenger comes along and defeats him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rex_Nemorensis

WhyWuh

I managed to hunt my one and only Thoth that I own and it's a greenie. Before I happened to stumble upon this thread I didn't even have a thought that green isn't common for this deck. When I googled it and saw white sides and vibrant colors I understood. But mine with not so vibrant colours feels so nice and cozy and comfy to hold. I love this deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emily

I managed to hunt my one and only Thoth that I own and it's a greenie. Before I happened to stumble upon this thread I didn't even have a thought that green isn't common for this deck. When I googled it and saw white sides and vibrant colors I understood. But mine with not so vibrant colours feels so nice and cozy and comfy to hold. I love this deck.

My first Thoth was a greenie too - I bought it from a second hand bookshop on a whim. I'd never looked at the deck online and when I went through the cards in the shop, first thing I noticed was no Kings then the colour - which was a pale green wash all over the cards.

Once home, I researched the Thoth online and the decks all looked very colourful, nothing like mine. I ended up ordering normal Thoth decks and it's only when you put them side by side with the greenies that you really see how green the cards are. :)

FLizarraga

No other versions do have the green cast, though a few showed up in the green boxed USG put out later - from the previous printing.

Is that how it happened to me? I have a greenie that came in the green box, and people would tell me that it didn't exist --while I was holding it right in my hands.

Of course you posted pics of a particular greenie you had, gregs (or I think it was you, anyway) and that one was REALLY greener than anything I have ever seen.

Astraea

Is that how it happened to me? I have a greenie that came in the green box, and people would tell me that it didn't exist --while I was holding it right in my hands.
I have one like that, too - greenie in a green box. Some of the older stock was just repackaged when the transfer occurred between Weiser and USGames.

Laura Borealis

I think that was the conventional wisdom, for a time? I know I read and believed it, back in the day. Then I was convinced otherwise. Probably by gregory.

gregory

It was the Holy Lillie who told me a few made it into green boxes...

You could ask Kaplan...