Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Lounge ~ Part IV

thorhammer

Reading with William :D has been a rough ride. There are days when it's gentle, beautiful, downright bloody bucolic (makes me want to step out of frame suspiciously :D) . . . then there are days like today when I'm all confronted with the end of the ruddy world and stuff. Temperamental quack.

The deck, that is. Not me.

\m/ Kat

Wendywu

I enjoy the discipline of the 78 week, but I like the exclusivity of the IDS. A 78 week you can do with your chosen study deck but it's not intended as an exclusive study.

However, I like the 78 week and IDS as a joint effort because I don't see me leaving Ironwing in the next few months - 18 months seems like a good length of time as a starting point.

(aside for Zan: I couldn't call the deck Lorena - Ironwing herself is the Shaman of Bells. I quite honestly feel I'd be being terribly disrespectful to Ironwing if I called her deck by any other name)

zan_chan

Wendywu said:
(aside for Zan: I couldn't call the deck Lorena - Ironwing herself is the Shaman of Bells. I quite honestly feel I'd be being terribly disrespectful to Ironwing if I called her deck by any other name)

That makes sense. "Hermann" is a name I give only to my working copy of the Haindl. I have four copies of the Haindl now-- two Italian printings, one Belgian, and one large German-- and my first one, an Italian, got the trim, and is the one that comes with me everywhere. Only that one is Hermann.

Funny how attached you get to things, isn't it? I can't imagine there's anything out there I'd trade for my Hermann, and that's a really good feeling. :^)

BelovedK

OK, I've decided, I'll use the Bohemian Gothic deck for my IDS. I'll start on the 22nd and do one card a week until the 20th of June (wow, that's a long time)

The only question I have is about doing readings, I am quite comfortable doing readings with the Golden, and if I do readings with BG, I sometimes have to look in the book if my intuition is not kicking strong. I love the BG, it helps out with my imagination in writing.

OR, should I choose the Golden?

OK, final decision, you can add me with the BG, and I assume that all of my readings will be done with that deck, right?

New to this.

thorhammer

While there are no hard and fast rules about reading vs. study decks, most of us commit to using just one deck. Immersion is the best way to learn! I don't speak for anyone else, but I believe that it's best to concentrate on one deck only for this, in order to maximise your brain power that's dedicated to the deck you're IDSing with!

I'll add you to the list now, with the BG, but you can confirm when you know for sure which way you're going :)

\m/ Kat

zan_chan

Hi BelovedK,

I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like of the two, the BG is the right choice. If , with the Golden, you can already do readings that you're happy and comfortable with, there seems to be no need for an intensive study. In here, its a good thing that you're going to your book. The whole idea is studying, in whatever way suits you best, as much as you can. (And yeah, if you're serious, all of your readings should be with the deck you pick)

Also, over in the study groups sub-forum, we're working through the 78 week study, which sounds like what you're planning with your BG. If you'd like some company on your journey, feel free to come join us with that, too. Tomorrow starts week three, the Empress, so you can always go back to the first two at the end.

Hope this helps a bit
<zan>

EDT: never mind, thorhammer beat me to it! :)

BelovedK

Thank you <3 Off to find the book :)

emmsma

Thought I'd chime in to counter Zan's view on the 78 week study for those on the fence. I like the structure of it - I need it. I have a real tendency to say, "ah, I'll get to it later."

Well, later often never comes, so for me the 78 week study is a commitment - on top of the IDS which is where I chose the deck I'm studying - to really work with a certain card every week. Its only been two weeks, but I can tell you for certain that I see the High Priestess much more clearly now, thanks to the study.

The 2 weeks I spent in this IDS before committing to the 78 week study, all I really did was commit to not using non-TdM decks. I didn't really read more with the cards, didn't really study the individual cards.

For me combining the two studies was the only way to go.

KafkasGhost

thorhammer said:
While there are no hard and fast rules about reading vs. study decks, most of us commit to using just one deck. Immersion is the best way to learn! I don't speak for anyone else, but I believe that it's best to concentrate on one deck only for this, in order to maximise your brain power that's dedicated to the deck you're IDSing with!

\m/ Kat

Hmm, like learning a foreign language. I recently completed a 3-month intensive language program. While I am by no means "fluent" I do feel more comfortable with its components and know where my weaknesses and strengths are and, most importantly, I can communicate.

I've been following a simple online course for IDSg my chosen deck. It is geared towards those who have never picked up a deck before, however.

I'm considering doing the 78-week study. All the information is a muddle at the moment (no coffee in the system yet), but there is a book on this, no? Or if no, is it concentrating on 1 card per week, simply? (Well, not "simply" but essentially...) :0)

KG

Wendywu

Yep - one card a week. How you study it, what references you use etc. are all up to you. We change cards on Mondays. This Monday we change to the Empress but whether you study the same card as us is up to you; some are sticking to their own schedule entirely and that's fine too.

It is true an IDS works best if you go the exclusive use route. Definite immersion technique. You don't have to choose the 78 week option - that's an added extra, so to speak :D