Why do characters in the Marseilles deck have flabby bodies & bags under their eyes?

Aunty Anthea

It definitely depends on the deck. I have a cheap Conver deck where a few of the people on the cards look like they have black eyes.

Got to say, in that picture it looks as though the person is wearing glasses :bugeyed:

Emily

It definitely depends on the deck. I have a cheap Conver deck where a few of the people on the cards look like they have black eyes.

I think I have this one too - a cheap re-print but it put me off the artwork of the Conver for life.

3ill.yazi

I think I have this one too - a cheap re-print but it put me off the artwork of the Conver for life.

Oh, please give Conver a chance! That is a terrible example of the Conver, unusually bad printing.

That said, why the bags? Well, life in the 16th - 17th century was pretty rough. Lots of drinking and fighting, fighting and drinking. Throw in some wenching and a little plague, and you'd have baggy eyes, too.

Philippe

Justice has not always been one-eyed

Attachments

• ConvX3r.jpg
    ConvX3r.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 152

Yelell

Yeah, a cheap reprint. I do like it however, even though there are prettier ones available that are cleaned up a lot. The hermit and his head smudge are sad though.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 165

Philippe

Yeah, a cheap reprint. I do like it however, even though there are prettier ones available that are cleaned up a lot. The hermit and his head smudge are sad though.

They are not cleaned up a lot. They were made earlier as the woodblocks were less damaged.
Héron-BN circa 1805
LoS quadrichromy and later Camoin : end of the 19th century

Debra

I see that as hair on his forehead--like he's tonsured.