Orphalese Tarot Software Version 10 about to be released

tarotlova

Hello tarotlova,

Of course there's a way. There's always a way....or two.....it's not programmed though and might take a couple of steps......just thinking through how it could work in my head (as I'm firing up my computer with the registered version so I can check if I loaded Titania's 36-card spread to the Spread Exchange (which I think I did)).

I assume you are talking about using the middle card in the 9 Card Reading to place in the middle of the 36-Card Reading? And you want the 36-Card Reading to be automated (launched from a saved Spread)?

You don't ask for much......haha.

Sure Am! :)

Let me start with Method 1 - using a manual 36 Card layout:
Deal your 9 Cards. Note the Centre Card. Click on the other 8 Cards to turn them over and drag them each back to the Deck. Dragging them over the Deck places them back into the Deck. Shuffle the Deck. Either use Free Selection Mode or Deck Pile and start laying out your Cards, manually into position. You have to do some drag and dropping.

Method 2 - automated 36 Card saved Spread.
Do your 9 Card Reading.
Create your middle Card as a Subset, calling it something you will remember like Titania Subset 1.
Create the rest of the Deck as a Titania Subset 2.
Create your 36 Card spread (using the two Subsets.....Card 1 will be from Titania Subset 1. The other 35 positions will be from Titania Subset 2.
When the spread is launched the middle Card will always be the one you saved in Subset 1 (as there is no other choice - there is only one Card).

BUT and it's a big but, it means that everytime you do a 9 Card Reading, you're going to have to edit the Subset to reselect and save the appropriate middle Card as Titania Subset 1 and reselect the rest as Titania Subset 2. (You can just override the existing Subset with the new Subset each time). There is a quick select option to select all Cards, then you can deselect the middle Card (which is possibly a quicker way than manually selecting the 35 remaining Cards).

but (and this one's a little but), you only have to create the 36 Card Spread ONCE (and yes, I thought that was worth putting in uppercase).

Both involve work of a different kind. So, have a play and see which one works best for you.

Hmm, I have outsmarted myself even with this workaround. I will add it to my list of tutorials to create as I think it is something that other people might want to do, even with a Tarot Deck if you want to expand on just one Card in the Reading (using the remainder of the Deck).

Meanwhile, I will also mention it to Richard. We already have a future version list ;) you know and he hasn't even launched 10 yet.

with love

Thanks for this I will have a play around today :) :love:

Barleywine

Hi Barleywine, you don't edit the Spread in Spread Management.

To edit a Spread in Beta 10:

1. Click on the grid to open the Menu.
2. Click My Spreads.
3. Click Edit Spreads. A list of Spreads is displayed.
4. Click on the Spread you wish to Edit and click OK. The Editor opens.
5. Click on the Card image (in right-hand pane) whose position notes you wish to change.
6. Click in the Position Notes on left-hand pane and change your description.
7. Click Save.
8. Click Close.

Steps 5 and 6 are where I'm having trouble. When the card images pop up in the right-hand pane, all of them have a different number in the upper left hand corner than they should have (for example Card 1 is now Card 10), although the titles themselves seem to be in the right locations. In the left-hand pane, the description I gave Card 1 originally is completely missing, and I would have to type it all over again. I could do that, but I'm afraid to save any changes because I'm concerned that everything will get scrambled with the altered numbering and I'll have to do the whole thing over again. If that happens, I won't be using this program. Reading the info page didn't help with this issue.

ETA: Never mind, I deleted the program, the spread editor was driving me crazy. I even uninstalled, re-downloaded and reinstalled everything after saving a copy of my .xml file, but if anything that made matters worse. Thanks for trying to help.

gregory

That's really sad. I am only on 9 and I have never visited an xml file in al the years I've been using it...

purple_scorp

Oh, Barleywine, don't give up (well not yet, anyway).

The program is installed in a separate folder to the data, so, uninstalling and reinstalling the software would not have impacted the .xml file.

I would like to work through the issue if I can. One to work out if it is a bug, and two to see if I can replicate your problem as I've not encountered that situation before.

Was it a standard celtic-cross spread you were creating? I'm going to go and create a tutorial right now on creating and editing a Spread.

Was it the Beta version 10?

Thanks
purple_scorp

Steps 5 and 6 are where I'm having trouble. When the card images pop up in the right-hand pane, all of them have a different number in the upper left hand corner than they should have (for example Card 1 is now Card 10), although the titles themselves seem to be in the right locations. In the left-hand pane, the description I gave Card 1 originally is completely missing, and I would have to type it all over again. I could do that, but I'm afraid to save any changes because I'm concerned that everything will get scrambled with the altered numbering and I'll have to do the whole thing over again. If that happens, I won't be using this program. Reading the info page didn't help with this issue.

ETA: Never mind, I deleted the program, the spread editor was driving me crazy. I even uninstalled, re-downloaded and reinstalled everything after saving a copy of my .xml file, but if anything that made matters worse. Thanks for trying to help.

Barleywine

Oh, Barleywine, don't give up (well not yet, anyway).

The program is installed in a separate folder to the data, so, uninstalling and reinstalling the software would not have impacted the .xml file.

I would like to work through the issue if I can. One to work out if it is a bug, and two to see if I can replicate your problem as I've not encountered that situation before.

Was it a standard celtic-cross spread you were creating? I'm going to go and create a tutorial right now on creating and editing a Spread.

Was it the Beta version 10?

Thanks
purple_scorp

Yes, it was a 10-card CC created in Beta version 10. I created it card-by-card and moved the cards into the spread positions where I wanted them, using "snap to grid" for alignment and entering the notes for each new card as I went. When I decided to reinstall everything and start over after struggling with the editor, I found where the .xml files are stored (unless there is a hidden folder somewhere that I don't know about) and I deleted the spread from there as well as deleting and reinstalling the program. I saved a backup .xml file and copied it back into the spreads folder after reinstalling.

The funny thing is, when I first created it, the spread worked fine with the card-drawing program, everything seemed to be in order, but when I opened it in the editor to revise the notes, the program seemed to lose its way with the number sequencing I gave it, and misplaced some of the original text I had entered. So I re-entered the notes for card 1 (that was inexplicably renumbered as card 10), but when I went to do a new reading with it in Free Selection, the template brought that card up in position 8 as the first card to pull, instead of where it should have been. At that point, I deleted everything.

As a test, in the spread editor I opened the Celtic Cross spread that came with the program. It, too, has the numbering of the cards all out-of-order, and the editor won't show the notes for card 10. I see from your forum that many people create spreads in another program and import them. If I could figure out how to do that, it might save me some grief.

Barleywine

In the "walk before you run" department, I decided to reinstall the current "live" version (avoiding the beta for now) and recreate my CC spread. The edit function in the spread creation wizard worked flawlessly; none of the card numbering was scrambled after going in and out of the editor a couple of times and all of the originally entered text was present and accounted for. Looks like the beta spread editor may be buggy.

purple_scorp

Hi Barleywine,

Thanks for the awesome information/explanation in your post. I'll have a go now following the steps you've listed.

I've also sent this post link to Richard (programmer) so he can have a look too.

Stay tuned.

purple_scorp

In the "walk before you run" department, I decided to rerinstall the current "live" version (avoiding the beta for now) and recreate my CC spread. The edit function in the spread creation wizard worked flawlessly; none of the card numbering was scrambled after going in and out of the editor a couple of times and all of the originally entered text was present and accounted for. Looks like the beta spread editor may be buggy.

Perfect....thanks for the update. At least Richard will know that this is looking like a bug.

I'm wondering if the problem is because there are more than 9 cards (am thinking it might not handle double digits).

Do you still have Beta 10 installed too? I would love for you to test it with a Spread with say, 7-8 cards.

Thanks for following this through.

purple_scorp

Hi Barleywine,

I've tested creating and editing new Spreads in Beta 10 with different numbers of Cards and I see that each time, the Cards have renumbered themselves. Good catch, I'm pretty sure you found a bug. Thanks for persisting. I've let Richard know. (and that's why we have Beta versions, right gregory?)

gregory

Way to go Barley !

I daren't try a beta... :D

But the software support on the forums works really well - the forums are easy to find on the Orphalese site. (I am still locked out, but that was down to my changing my email... :D)