View Single Post
One of the original 100 members

tarotbear 

"Who or what is going to print your deck and what sizes are the cards they use and offer."

You haven't drawn a single line on paper or sketched on your digital drawing pad - why should you worry about this first?

Nothing will deter your good frame of mind or turn you off faster than having to re-size your artwork once you have spent hours working on it.

We toss around the 'size' terms 'tarot deck', 'poker deck', 'mini deck', - but what that means to one printing company is not necessarily what the next guy may use. Save yourself the time and tears and check out 2 or 3 different printing companies and see what their specifics for 'tarot-size' cards is. It is easier to start something correctly than alter it later. Hal ran into this with the Wickwillow Tarot and had to change borders to alter the images he already created to fit the 'poker-size' card template the company he chose to print it used.

Both Gamecrafter and Printer's Studio use the same size for their tarot cards: 900 x 1500 PIXELS for the stock (before trimming) with a 75 PIXEL inner border. This means that the outside edge of the image is 900 x 1500 pixels but the useable image is really 750 x 1350 pixels (with 75 pixels of white all around it). I made a blank template with a purple border 80 pixels all around for me; in that way I knew my image would be safe. Why Purple? If you are importing images it's a tad easier to see purple guidelines and you can always change the purple to black AFTER you make the changes you want. Since I was importing B/W images it made my job easier see the purple instead of black superimposed over B/W.

Don't waste your time having to alter the images you so carefully worked on; make them the right size to begin with. Choose your printing company first.
Top   #3