View Single Post
Resident

JOdel 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarotbear View Post
BTW - What does CMYK stand for, and what does it mean as far as color reproduction, exactly?

This is what The Game Crafter says about 'Color Profiles' : (hope this opens for you)

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/help/color-profiles
Annabel398 pretty much sorted this one out. RGB is the definitive "additive" color system. The more of anything you add the lighter the result gets. CMYK is the printing industry's "subtractive" system where the more of any pigment you add the darker the result.

One of the most memorable failures to communicate of my childhood was in 1955 when someone came across a brand new educational film on comparisons of color theory which used, among other things color television broadcasting (which was in development, although i don't think it was on the market yet) showing the red+green=yellow, and red+green+blue=white as well as the CMYK system for printing.

Only... we were 9 years old, in 4th grade, and we were not mixing colors with inks, we were mixing them with pigments. Little pans of watercolor cakes of pigment to be exact. And while I could *about* get a red from yellow and magenta, cyan and Magenta did NOT produce blue, and red and green produced only a muddy brown. Artists are not printers, and *their* primaries are red, yellow, and blue. (Printers have a fifth primary, which is the color of the paper, and is mixed with *all* of the inks to produce the final result.)

I suspect that TGC's discovered from experience that they get more consistent results from RGB files. Their suggestion to build the file in CMYK and to convert it before submitting it is to get around the problem mentioned in my earlier post of producing colors that simply cannot be printed, regardless. CMYK is far less likely to do that. And you won't see much of a difference going from RGB to CMYK. Moving in the other direction can be a nasty surprise.

And I second the recommendation to download Photoshop CS2 or GIMP. Yes, there is a learning curve. But the access to *necessary* tools is more than worth the agro.
Top   #79