"If I Had Only Known When I Started This Deck That ......"

ramanda429

Digital software

I have never made a deck, but I plan to one day. I think I'll get better with the cards (understanding without still needing the book and online sources, I guess I'm considered a newbe).I am actaully in the planning stages for what I want. Im taking my time, because I may only ever make 1 deck. I suppose we will see. For art of any kind I use Sketchbook pro, then use photoshop to clean up for digital work. I love sketchbook pro there are a ton of options and I have a wacom tablet. If someone has mentioned this software, I haven't gotten through all the discussions yet :)

tarotbear

I bought a Wacom tablet after Thanksgiving 2013 - and still haven't touched it yet!

Kees

I read this thread front to back while planning for my deck and boy was it insightful. I'm grateful for everyone who posted their thoughts here to help offer some guidance to new deck makers.

earthair

Decks take a massive amount of time and effort to produce, yet are ridiculously cheap to buy, and still people will complain they're too expensive! We should value artists and writers more. If deck creators were paid at plumber's rates, decks would cost about £2000 each :surprise:

truelighth

Thank you, Tarotbear for this thread. I have been working on a majors only deck myself for the past months (no, not drawn by hand, I use photographs).

I was just looking at what I need to know about having them printed. So far, I had thought of just going the TCG route. That way, if people want it, they can get it and otherwise.. well.. I guess not. Also ok, since I am mainly doing this for myself and my love for the tarot anyway. I enjoy the process.

But it is really useful to read the many tips and things to think about. Especially now that I am at the phase that I need to determine the size and crop the cards etc etc and think about titles. Although I still need to do at least 5 cards, but they are delayed until I get the material to make the photographs. Thanks! :thumbsup:

hrtanuki

Some great info in this thread. I really need to stop dreaming about each card and actually get to the doing part. Time to knuckle down.

tarotbear

Line from 'Sunday in the Park With George': "A vision's just a vision if it's only in your head."

Thinking about something without doing something about it will not make it a reality. Once you put it down on paper you can manipulate or change it to make it better.

Good Luck!

tarotbear

Copyrights, Permissions, and Royalties

I thought it was time to give this thread an update since a deck creation question concerning use of ownership, photographs, and copyrights has come up in this thread: click here .

I also ask that you check out posts # 6 and #10 - which sum it up very well. If you use objects (dolls, in this case) that you own, dress them up, and take your own pictures of them to make a Tarot deck your printing company may refuse the images without proof that you have permission to sell photographs of a copyrighted (or trademarked) object.

Something to think about ...

tarotbear

New Box Sizing at TGC!

Oh~!

I thought I should add that at The Game Crafter they now have added a 40-card Poker Tuck Box and also a 40-card Tarot Tuck Box, so if you want to use either of those sizes for your Tarot or Oracle deck but didn't want your 36-card Tarot banging around in the standard 90-card Tarot Tuck Box - there is now an alternative or two for you.

Also~!

Comparing a few box prices - in Poker size TGC has a clear plastic 40-box (cost $1.01), a plain white 40-box (cost $2.49), and the standard 'you design what you want 40-box'(cost $2.79). However, choosing the non-plastic boxes DO NOT add much to the price point (I was surprised!) so if you can design you own box it only adds about a dollar more than going for the clear plastic box ... options to think about!

frejasphere

Decks take a massive amount of time and effort to produce, yet are ridiculously cheap to buy, and still people will complain they're too expensive! We should value artists and writers more. If deck creators were paid at plumber's rates, decks would cost about £2000 each :surprise:

Thank you - this one made me laugh :) It's true though, a lot of time goes into making a deck... It is a labour of love, but I agree that at times we get lost in the commercial world where the expectancy is that 78 cards should only cost xyz, forgetting the hours and hours of work behind each individual artwork in the deck.... and the time leading up to making a deck (inspiration, learning artistic skills, research) :)

Even though I only ever use my own drawings and paintings, I agree with tarotbear that copyright and/or ownership issues (if they are likely to impact on a deck you are making) should absolutely be at the very top of your list (and perhaps sticky on the forum as well) ... Better to be informed and make changes and/or seek approval early, than get to the end of a long journey and face disappointment over not being able to print or publish your project ... (or worse still, face legal issues over having published a deck without the necessary permissions :eek: )