View Single Post
One of the original 100 members

tarotbear 

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthair View Post
Decks take a massive amount of time and effort to produce, yet are ridiculously cheap to buy, and still people will complain they're too expensive! We should value artists and writers more. If deck creators were paid at plumber's rates, decks would cost about 2000 each
As someone who sewed for a living - we know that Time Is Money - although something like a quilt can take untold hours and something like a shirt could take 4 or 5. This is what the buying public does not understand. When you go to Wal*Mart and buy a silk blouse for $20 you cannot expect the sewing professional to make one for you for $15. A custom-made, one-of-a-kind garment as opposed to a mass-produced sweatshop garment will cost you MORE - many buyers do not understand this.

It took me 30 days to draw out my original deck images ... but to colorize them would take me almost a complete year. Should my B/W deck sell for $25 and my colorized deck sell for $3,000? Yes - we should value artists and writers more - but paying someone $4,000 for a deck is a little absurd. There is a difference between 'value' and 'worth.' And unfortunately, artists and writers know that buyers that will shell out $4,000 for a deck do not exist ... it comes with the creative territory.
Top   #102