The Alice Tarot

Nina*

I really look forward to this deck, Karen. I love all your and Alex's work and am sure this will be fabulous too.
Actually it already made me get the Alice books (which I must admit I've never read).

Best of luck with the process!

FaireMaiden

Thank you so much for posting these pics, Karen! Ahhh... another Baba adventure... feels like we're all going thru that looking glass, with your sharing, once again, *vvvbs*

I notice in The Lovers card that the Carpenter's cane may actually be a Dowsing Rod? That's what it looks like to me. And I love the Lamp on top of the Standing Stone... so appropos, *lol*. Save for Luna, and the Sea, (the requisite balance), this card is so in-your-face phallic... a perfect rendering!

baba-prague

FaireMaiden said:
Thank you so much for posting these pics, Karen! Ahhh... another Baba adventure... feels like we're all going thru that looking glass, with your sharing, once again, *vvvbs*

I notice in The Lovers card that the Carpenter's cane may actually be a Dowsing Rod?

Ah no, unfortunately on the website it's a very small version of the card (we just don't want anyone downloading higher res) and I did think it wouldn't be clear. It's actually an old measuring rule - one of the wooden hinged ones that people used to use. Here is a close-up. I rather like your idea of it being a dowsing rod though.

This card IS rather phallic, that's true. Actually, we had a bit of a laugh about that while we were doing the cards as some of the groynes we were thinking of using were just TOO obvious.

Attachments

• Alice_Lovers_measure_closeu.jpg
    Alice_Lovers_measure_closeu.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 327

baba-prague

By the way, before someone asks, the Walrus is holding a baguette. I think the Carpenter has the butter in his pocket. Poor oysters!

Alta

I did not know that! Goodness, how very Victorian. :)

OctoberGwen

baba-prague said:
Maybe especially because we've worked such a lot with the Tenniel and Rackham illustrations and had come to know what we would do differently. Not better of course, but simply more in our own way.
Oh, I would have been bitterly disappointed if it WASN'T distinctly yours. I love your decks because they are immediately recognizable as "baba" decks.

I really, really love the three cards you've shown so far. Our little glimpse of Alice is so tantalizing, and she looks lovely and mischievious and clever. Yes, I got all that from the top third of her face! ;)

cardlady22

I may have found a version of Alice that I can connect with. I signed up for the newsletter.

yirabeth

That rabbit is dead creepy...I kept wanting to holler at Alice, No, don't go in there! Ugggh...I need my old Alice back...hehe

~Yira

FaireMaiden

baba-prague said:
Ah no, unfortunately on the website it's a very small version of the card (we just don't want anyone downloading higher res) and I did think it wouldn't be clear. It's actually an old measuring rule - one of the wooden hinged ones that people used to use. Here is a close-up. I rather like your idea of it being a dowsing rod though.

http://www.tarotforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=40639
Oh, aye... I see it now... a Measuring Rule! Thanks for clearing that up by posting a more magnified pic of it... I appreciate it everso, *vbs*

baba-prague said:
This card IS rather phallic, that's true. Actually, we had a bit of a laugh about that while we were doing the cards as some of the groynes we were thinking of using were just TOO obvious.
*lol* I can just imagine! *lol*