Tarot Deck Reviews on Youtube

daenys

re: owlmoon513

I like her, too, plus she seems really nice :)

She does. Her voice is so soothing too. What I don't like about her reviews is how uncritical they are. When she shows the camera cards from a deck, most of her commentary boils down to "I love this" or "This is beautiful". I watched her Top Ten Favorites video and apparently she reads solely on personal intuition... so, she can't tell you how well the cards align with, say, RWS symbolism. In that video she also mentions her first tarot deck was the Tarot of Vampyres... released in 2010. She might read professionally, it's true, but her experience with the tarot pales in comparison to many people on this forum.

Citrin

I recently found a new YouTuber I really like. :) His name is Patrik and you can search for "In The 78 Cards" to find his channel on YouTube. He has two great reviews up and I'm hoping for more, the rest of his videos are really nice also. I like his humble approach, he often mentions he is new to tarot and is trying out if things work for him or not etc :)

The Happy Squirrel

Thanks Citrin I just subscribed to his channel :)

The Happy Squirrel

re: owlmoon513

She does. Her voice is so soothing too. What I don't like about her reviews is how uncritical they are. When she shows the camera cards from a deck, most of her commentary boils down to "I love this" or "This is beautiful". I watched her Top Ten Favorites video and apparently she reads solely on personal intuition... so, she can't tell you how well the cards align with, say, RWS symbolism. In that video she also mentions her first tarot deck was the Tarot of Vampyres... released in 2010. She might read professionally, it's true, but her experience with the tarot pales in comparison to many people on this forum.

I mainly listen to her for her soothing voice :p

It is AMSR-like ha!

I found her self reflection about her past struggles and going through them and therefore her chats about personal growth to be very insightful. But I found her almost hatred for the Christian religion - based on her own experience growing up in what a lot would consider an organised cult - to be a bit uncomfortable to listen to. Tarot and the things surrounding it I found is so expansive and the energy should be freeing. Hatred and strong dislike I found to be constricting and to be a bit 'muddy' in terms of 'energy'. It often indicate to me that you haven't truly free yourself and therefore even if not part of a 'traditional' or 'dogmatic' 'organised religion' you are still as 'trapped' if that makes sense. Some decks that are good might get a bad review because they are too 'christian'. I understand that this view isn't unique. Still. She is my go to gal for soothing voice though :)

daenys

I mainly listen to her for her soothing voice [emoji14]

It is AMSR-like ha!

I found her self reflection about her past struggles and going through them and therefore her chats about personal growth to be very insightful. But I found her almost hatred for the Christian religion - based on her own experience growing up in what a lot would consider an organised cult - to be a bit uncomfortable to listen to. Tarot and the things surrounding it I found is so expansive and the energy should be freeing. Hatred and strong dislike I found to be constricting and to be a bit 'muddy' in terms of 'energy'. It often indicate to me that you haven't truly free yourself and therefore even if not part of a 'traditional' or 'dogmatic' 'organised religion' you are still as 'trapped' if that makes sense. Some decks that are good might get a bad review because they are too 'christian'. I understand that this view isn't unique. Still. She is my go to gal for soothing voice though :)

I know, isn't her voice amazing! :)

Hatred or strong dislike aren't at all necessary to criticise something. It's perfectly possible. I did it in my earlier post about owlmoon513 herself. (Overall I do like her.) I idealise balanced judgments not extreme judgments. It's why I like the suit of Swords so much -- the Queen and King seem to epitomise this ideal. Passion has its place but as you say when negative it can be 'muddy'. But the Swords at their best, like Air, are clear of anything distorting the truth.

That clarity I find to be another kind of liberation.

On another note, I found a YouTuber whose reviews I like very much -- the Truth in Story. Her videos (eg for the Fountain tarot) are long but any section I watched I found well worth listening to. Her mini analyses of each card are quite interesting and she has such enthusiasm -- again positive biased, but she goes deeper into the 'why' of it in a way that I don't mind at all.

There's also an excellent review of the Golden Botticelli I watched last week. I forgot the user's name but it's quite easy to find. He talks engagingly about the myths behind the artwork -- of which he names! It's an art lesson more than anything else.

The Happy Squirrel

On another note, I found a YouTuber whose reviews I like very much -- the Truth in Story. Her videos (eg for the Fountain tarot) are long but any section I watched I found well worth listening to. Her mini analyses of each card are quite interesting and she has such enthusiasm -- again positive biased, but she goes deeper into the 'why' of it in a way that I don't mind at all.

There's also an excellent review of the Golden Botticelli I watched last week. I forgot the user's name but it's quite easy to find. He talks engagingly about the myths behind the artwork -- of which he names! It's an art lesson more than anything else.

Ooooh I should look for them! I would love to listen to the Golden Botticelli talk although I personally do not like original pre-existing historical art squeezed into the tarot format.

Thanks for the references!

daenys

Haha, you're welcome. :)

Owl Song

I mainly listen to her for her soothing voice :p

It is AMSR-like ha!

I've been following owlmoon513's videos for a couple of years now and I just don't see this at all. I see a woman who has come into her own spiritually in a beautiful and inspiring way. I've never heard disparaging comments from her about Christianity or those who follow the Christian path. No, it's not her path and her experiences did not sound positive but I have always found her open minded and self-aware. I think she realizes there are healthy expressions of Christianity. (Of course, I do not wish to speak for her.) But I have never gotten vibes from her that even come near the term "hatred." She encourages balance, healing, and spiritual health in an inclusive and open way.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, Happy Squirrel. I read your comments though and I had to express my very different viewpoint.

Blessings.