Legend: Eight of Shields, Wayland

Sophie-David

In A Keeper of Words, Anna-Marie tells us that Wayland is deep within the earth as he practices his craft. I can't help but feel sorry for him as he works on the shield out of the light of day. This deprivation of natural lighting and fresh air is common to so many modern workers in factories and maintenance shops, underground malls and office towers. Space seems to be at such a premium, or security so tight, that we can't afford windows any more. Although he wears a protective leather apron, Wayland has no shirt because of the heat. Whether or not he enjoys his work, this can't be good for him, no sunlight or good air, the heat of the stifling furnace, and the fumes given off in the shaping and annealing process.

This is an Eight of Shields (Pentacles) that really gives one pause to consider the modern nature of work. Anna-Marie tells us that "Wayland was the master craftsman to the gods, whose weapons were so fine that they sang in the air". But no matter how good the product produced, working hours seem to be going up again, conditions in many places are deteriorating, and spending power is decreasing. Wayland is an admirable worker, but his wild grey hair and the poor conditions make this rather a sad Eight.

WalesWoman

David,
Are you feeling down too? Seems the cards this week are depressing ones or reminding me of depressing situations, is that just me?

As I was reading your take on this card and working conditions it made me think of Dire Straits...Industrial Disease. Did you know Parkinson's for sure is an Industrial disease and did not exist until the Industrial Age...I don't think there were any reported cases of this until the mid to late 1800's. And now Alzchiemer's is one of the most widely one we hear of it seems, heavy metals in the brain...and how did they get there but from the water we drink, the air we breath and food we consume? Oh hurray for western civilization and modern man, selling us death in a can or disposable container.

Are we working our life away, separating ourselves from the light of day, now that electricity means we can work all 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year and still can't afford a holiday? What will we have when we can finally say we are done? From the sounds of things here in the states, we look forward to working through our retirements as well, there won't be one. So funny, a few years back they were urging workers to retire early and now I just heard we are now advised not to, to work past our retirement age or we won't have the funds we will need to live on. God Bless America, because our politicians sure aren't doing it.

Darn it...I liked this card much better when I looked at it and saw myself sitting at the computer, and printing out bunches of cards and prints and getting them all nicely stacked and ready to market. It made me feel all industrious with visions of $ signs dancing in my head. Tonight I look at it and see my white haired, long haired, bearded freind...an old Viking biker out in his shop working on chrome spoked wheels for his Harley...and wonder about the chemical toxins in the air he breathed and thrived spiritually in, but ...

Lyones

Wayland does look rather lonely and sad, doesn't he? ... but perhaps he is just concentrating hard on his design. He looks as if he's been through a hard time ... he really needs to do something with his hair!

The Celtics believed that the earth was the Goddess' womb from which new life began, and in a way he is also a creator - at least he has the satisfaction of knowing that his craft is good and useful.

Although he doesn't look like much, I like the fact that the work of blacksmiths and magic were related, and I think that it also has a lot to do with the attitude we carry in to our work day - being determined to make the best of what we put our hands to, even if it is tedious ... it's what puts the bread on the table :)

For someone doing such a strong, masculine type of work, he does such delicate artwork, he must still have steady hands and good eyesight and be in touch with his creative side.

Sophie-David

WalesWoman said:
David,
Are you feeling down too? Seems the cards this week are depressing ones or reminding me of depressing situations, is that just me?
Thank you for asking WalesWoman. I wasn't intending to tackle this card as a depressing one, I just thought, "Well I'm almost finished my guided dreaming, the remaining upper Shields are done at the Study Group (its Queen tonight and King tomorrow and that's it!) so I'll just go back and fill in the Eight". But when I read Anna-Marie's "Deep within the earth, Wayland practices his craft", it reminded me of my recent experience of Toronto.

Toronto has an excellant subway system which forms a U-shape around the downtown core. Over the years underground malls have connected together between the subway stations, so it has become an advertised underground walkway system call PATH. I have the guide and map in front of me: this system connects 50 office towers, 6 hotels, 1100 shops and restaurants, 8 theatres and concert halls, the CN Tower, the SkyDome, the City Hall and so on. PATH uses 9 km of walkway - not including overlapping multi-levels.

I was staying at the Royal York Hotel at the southern end of PATH and wanted to visit "The World's Biggest Bookstore" just beyond the northern end. By using the PATH map I stayed in the comfort and safety of inside space and just had to dart across the street to the bookstore at the very end of the trip. It was wonderful not to have to go outside in the biting Toronto winter! But then I thought of the literally thousands of people who are deprived of daylight and/or fresh air on a daily basis - 120,000 workers in the office towers alone - and I wondered at what kind of world we are creating.

This is all part of the "Wasteland Experience" I am going through at the moment, which also relates to the expansion of Eirian Consciousness that I mentioned in the Legend: The Universe: The Giants' Dance thread. This is at heart a very good thing, a Hanged One/Death sequence, but its not always very comfortable!

WalesWoman said:
Darn it...I liked this card much better when I looked at it and saw myself sitting at the computer, and printing out bunches of cards and prints and getting them all nicely stacked and ready to market. It made me feel all industrious with visions of $ signs dancing in my head. Tonight I look at it and see my white haired, long haired, bearded freind...an old Viking biker out in his shop working on chrome spoked wheels for his Harley...and wonder about the chemical toxins in the air he breathed and thrived spiritually in, but ...
Well I hope I didn't ruin it for you! Each card has its positives and negatives I guess. I must say I hadn't thought of the Eight of Shields negatives before. I do hope for the best for your Viking friend...

Blessings
David

Sophie-David

Lyones said:
The Celtics believed that the earth was the Goddess' womb from which new life began, and in a way he is also a creator - at least he has the satisfaction of knowing that his craft is good and useful.
Yes, when I first saw him I thought of Tolkien's noble dwarves and their unsurpassed artistry in the weapons of war. But I think that perhaps even Tolkien was making a comment on industrialization, its plusses and minuses, and its uses in mass violence. I think I'd rather be an elf any day!

Lyones said:
For someone doing such a strong, masculine type of work, he does such delicate artwork, he must still have steady hands and good eyesight and be in touch with his creative side.
I think that his work is his life. That's why he doesn't care about his hair or his working conditions. Like so many artists, others tend to exploit the burning desire to create that possesses those who are the children of the muses, and Anna-Marie refers to this in her text. But it doesn't make the results of the artist's dedication, mastery, and intuitive integration any less breathtakingly beautiful and spiritually nurturing.

crazy raven

I think that his work is his life. That's why he doesn't care about his hair or his working conditions. Like so many artists, others tend to exploit the burning desire to create that possesses those who are the children of the muses, and Anna-Marie refers to this in her text. But it doesn't make the results of the artist's dedication, mastery, and intuitive integration any less breathtakingly beautiful and spiritually nurturing.

I think so too.

Astrologically, Eight of Shields is known as the Sun in Virgo. The color of this Virgoan energy is gray.

Gray = maturity, dignity, modesty, conservative, practical, secure and reliable.

Color gray = churning thoughts and honest deliberation of wisdom depth and experience. We often associate old age and gray hair with the state of being wsie. Wisdom resides in the right hemisphere of the brain which is responsible for creativity, music and spirituality.

Gray lacks warmth, giving it a very solemn and gloomy look, but it's actually a very neutral color It has often been called the color of the Sage a person who is a mentor in spiritual topics and is characterized by profound wisdom.

White = confidence and knowledge, a sense of purpose

Wayland's work is consciousness emerging from confusion.

If you want a job done well call on someone you know that's like Wayland. They are the perfectionists of the world. People like Wayland have a consuming desire for perfection, especially with regard to their work. Attention to minute details can degenerate into hairsplitting and .. wanting everything in its proper place, easily fray Wayland's nerves. He is prone to hypochondria but generally lives a long and healthy life because he pampers himself. He regards his body as an instrument to be maintained in the best possible condition, and he expects it to give him faithful service in return.So, we can tell by looking at his meticulously clean working space, he can be easily and frequently frustrated in tidying up his small corner of the universe. Yet he toils until gradually, the results of his labors become evident. He does such beautiful work!

People like Wayland inspire us, we're amazed at their patience, their strength and will as well as their determination and their ability to work something to its perfect end. Wayland reminds us to strive being the best we can be and know that somewhere there's a dimension far greater and more beautiful than we've ever seen.

Reversed

The downside of the color gray would be along the lines of: indecision, confusion, feeling lost, uncertain, exhausted, lonely, empty.... this is because his standards are too high and life never seems to please him ... even the people he loves. Instead of loving of what he has, Wayland has a hard time enjoying life as-it-is now .. because he's always striving to perfect everything.

Virgo rules both work and health and both of these are intimately connected to their physical and mental well being. That's why it's important for people like Wayland to find their niche in life. If his job isn't something he enjoys, he will be at odds with himself and will suffer in body and mind. He needs a job where his critical attention to detail can be put to practical use and his reliability appreciated. Then watch him smile!