TotOP: XVII The Star

Moongold

TotOP XVII Star

The Star Goddess, a beautiful blonde woman, is pouring waters from two conch shells, one into the river, another on to the land. In the left forefront is a beautiful white iris, symbolizing cleansing and purification. In the right forefront is a sextant, held in a pair of hands perhaps symbolizing that we do have the means to find our way. And in the left distance is an observatory, an oddly modern structure, possibly indicating that we can obtain meaning from the heavens. In the deep blue sky in the background hover seven stars around a bigger star, representing the older known planets.

This is a fairly simply, relatively uncluttered card. After the devastation of the Tower, perhaps we have been reduced to simple, elemental things? The predominent colour is cool, clear but substantial blue and the image overall is one of hope and purification. Possibly this is one of the simpler Majors in Tarot of the Old Path to understand.

It is one of the feminine cards, clearly in image and association. If one looks at the number XVII, it reduces to VIII Strength, another feminine card. It is affirming for women to have these strong archetypes in the Tarot.

Star has traditionally been associated with Aquarius, the Water Bearer. Aquarius has Uranus (contemporary) and Saturn (traditional) as its Rulers. Aquarius can be seen as a sign of transformation. The soul has encountered the Devil and the then the Tower and emerges, transformed and focused towards its higher purpose. Star provides us with a glimpse of eternity, enough to focus our will and our strength for the odd passage through the light of the Moon.

Silverlotus

Astrological Influence - Aquarius
Element - Air
Month - January, February
Contributor - Janet and Stewart Farrar
Flowers - Iris - hope and power

This is such a lovely card, and I think Moongold has described it very well. I just wanted to add some of my own thoughts.

The Star is another one of those rare cards who's predominate colour does not match it's element. But I suppose this card would not have the same feeling if the water was yellow. I wonder why here shells are red. I think perhaps they could have been yellow to bring in the air element. But, looking at colour symbolism, the red shells could represent courage and passion, which I think is part of the meaning of this card.

I agree with Moongold's assertion that the observatory is strangely modern for this card. I'd almost want to say that for the sextant to. The general "timeless" culture shown in these cards doesn't seem to fix these items, but I guess if they have ships then they must have sextants. :) The book for this deck says these items represent conscious awareness (observatory) and the unconscious (the sextant). I'm not really sure where they get that from.

I also like the idea that here we see the lake that the river, which we have been following since the High Priestess, has turned into. Our unconscious has flowed far, and is not altered by this Star Goddess.

Silverlotus

The card meaning. Isn't this where I always run into trouble? Moongold, what are your ideas on the meaning?

I guess I'll post a couple of keywords that spring to mind for me. Hope, spiritual power, courage. A spiritual truth may be unveiled if you pay attention. Harmony.

Moongold

Hi Silverlotus,

Ah........the card meaning. All those things you said, and others depending on context.

I have seen Star refer to expectations that sound reasonable but which are *way out there* as well. :)

northsea

Silverlotus said:
I wonder why here shells are red. I think perhaps they could have been yellow to bring in the air element. But, looking at colour symbolism, the red shells could represent courage and passion, which I think is part of the meaning of this card.

I agree with Moongold's assertion that the observatory is strangely modern for this card. I'd almost want to say that for the sextant to. The general "timeless" culture shown in these cards doesn't seem to fix these items, but I guess if they have ships then they must have sextants. :) The book for this deck says these items represent conscious awareness (observatory) and the unconscious (the sextant). I'm not really sure where they get that from.

I, too, was wondering about the red shells. Thanks for the symbology of the observatory and sextant. I wouldn't have guessed it, not having the book myself.

huredriel

Moongold said:
If one looks at the number XVII, it reduces to VIII Strength, another feminine card. It is affirming for women to have these strong archetypes in the Tarot.
northsea said:
I, too, was wondering about the red shells.
Perhaps this is relating to the fire element of Strength, which is hidden with the Star.

northsea

Hey Huredriel, that makes perfect sense! Thank you. I associate the rune Kenaz, which has a similar meaning, with the Star.