Hanson Roberts-II High Priestess

Indigo Rose

She is a beautiful lady in this deck, yet appears locked into this space and not free at all; unlike the very FREE HP from the Robin Wood's Deck.It seems as if her eyes communicate that she holds deep and spiritual knowledge; and also carries deep hurts. I noted the word TARO on her scroll.

There are 3 open pomegranates on the cloth behind her, appearing above her head. The writings I found on pomegranates stated they symbolize receptivity, fertility, and passivity. Her hat appears almost like a pomegranate too. QUESTION: Why are there 3? Is that significant? Perhaps standing for a connection to the Trinity? Or a connection to the Empress? Also, is the fact that all three are open significant?

I see the cross on her chest. I also noted that her neck collar looks very stiff. On her right shoulder there is what looks like a gold ornament of a crescent moon; and below her left side there is a yellow crescent moon. Also, what is the symbol in the center of her hat? I know that is a common symbol with the full moon in the center and 2 crescent moons on each side; I just don't know what it means.

All in all I like her. Yet, I do feel she is more restricted than my favorite High Priestess(from the Robin Wood).

Centaur

Indigo Rose said:
I see the cross on her chest. I also noted that her neck collar looks very stiff. On her right shoulder there is what looks like a gold ornament of a crescent moon; and below her left side there is a yellow crescent moon. Also, what is the symbol in the center of her hat? I know that is a common symbol with the full moon in the center and 2 crescent moons on each side; I just don't know what it means.

I think that the symbol is that which represents the Goddess.

I agree that this particular High Priestess is very beautiful. There is something in her eyes. It is as though she is trying to communicate some body of knowledge via some form of thought-communication.

I agree that she does seem very rigid. Almost regal. She sits almost proudly.

I should add that there are moments when I feel that her eyes express a deep sadness. I don't know why I think this... it pops into my head every now and then.

I always thought that the 'pomegranate' like hat, you mention, was actually her hair. But on closer inspection, it does appear that it is a hat.

As the pomegranate is a symbol for receptivity, then perhaps the fact that her head is cradled between two pomegranates reprents the fact that she is very receptive... and receptive to the old of intuition, and psychic-ability, signified by the Goddess symbol which appears to be holding her pomegranate-like-hat closed.

Centaur

rachelcat

Hey, I Found Another One!

I found this old study group post. I'm not ready to add yet, but I'm putting this in the newer posts so everyone will see it. More on the High Priestess later!

Flavio

Centaur said:
I agree that this particular High Priestess is very beautiful. There is something in her eyes. It is as though she is trying to communicate some body of knowledge via some form of thought-communication.
Yes... her eyes seem almost hypnotic and her smile is very sutil (almost Monalisa-esque). All her rigidness make me feel cautious, she might be in a trance and I must be quite careful if I try to come close to her.

tarotlova

The head adornment of 2 cresent moons on either side of a full one is the symbol representing the triple Godess, and I feel that the pomegrantes also emphasize this, and being open to me means that we too should remain open or receptive to the divine and our intuition. I feel that she looks sad also, and I think that to become as knowledgable as the High Priestess, you have to have some sadness in your life, for aren't the hardest lessons you learn in life, also the one's you remember the most and learn from. Blessings

WhiteRaven

This card has to be my favorite of them all in this deck. Everytime she comes out in a spread for me I know that there is something that I need to look within myself for. She is a highly spiritual card for me...and I feel comfort as soon as I see her in a spread.

This card and the Page of Cups.....Page of cups because it reminds me of my youngest son.

Lurea

One thing I get personally from this High Priestess is self-reliance. I think she is the most independent female character in the whole deck. I don't think this would be a good card to get in a relationship question!

One thing I don't get: how is the High Priestess distinguished from the Hermit? Don't they both mean wisdom, esoteric knowledge?

Flavio

Lurea_aure said:
One thing I don't get: how is the High Priestess distinguished from the Hermit? Don't they both mean wisdom, esoteric knowledge?
You look for an answer here although that thread is about the RWS deck the answer will work for a clone like Hanson Roberts.

rachelcat

Hey, she's wearing your turban, Flavio!

On the front of her turban are the moon phases, and she has the moon at her feet, too. Isn't there something in the Bible (Revelations?) about the woman with the moon at her feet? My Bible knowledge is rusty these days! (On Alchemical Tarot, the moon is actually a boat on which the High Priestess stands.)

The black and white pillars are a symbol that reality, and the truth the HP can teach us about reality, contains light and dark, good and bad, and all opposites. We should be open to both sides.

Between the pillars are a veil. Some authors make a big deal about the HP being a virgin and so in contrast to the Empress as lover and mother. I always thought that was a little sexist, since it is defining the being/meaning of a woman (albeit a symbolic woman) solely in her relationship to men. But virginity can also meen independence (as someone mentioned), and the HP, as Holy Wisdom, raises her veil (reveals herself) only to those who are worthy.

The pomegranates are those of Persephone, who ate the pomegranate seeds and therefore was required to be queen of the underworld (and its secret knowledge).

Also, the veil in the temple in Jerusalem between the outer temple and holy of holies tore when Jesus died, symbolizing the fact that humans were no longer divided from God. As someone between us and the veil, the HP could be considered a similar mediator? She can teach us what we need to know about the sacred.

Finally, as someone else mentioned, she's not talking, but she is definitely trying to tell us something with her eyes!

I hope I don't offend anybody (Pagan or Christian) with the Christian stuff. We're just talking about symbols here, right?

Lurea

You're not offending me! It's all fascinating. :)

I've read that in ancient Greece and Rome, virginity meant "independent of a man". Therefore, the virgin goddesses like Artemis and Athena were not 'physical' virgins, they existed in their own right without being married to or otherwise dependent on a man.

Thanks for the thread link, Flavio, that helped a lot. :D