Mythic Tarot

theredfox

Hmm OK.
Well, I guess I was making an assumption there, that everyone would use their knowledge of or interest in Greek myth as the starting point. Not necessarily true.

I've got a sketchy knowledge of the stories - I'm no expert, but would quite like to improve on that.

Grigori

I was a long time lover of greek mythology (almost went to uni to study ancient history in fact). The Mythic Deck was the first deck I was able to get up and reading with. Since then it's become a bit neglected as I started to feel limited by the stories and moved on to other decks, but now I'm hoping a fresh look will be a good thing. :)

theredfox

Yes I can understand that, feeling 'limited.' I dont foresee that this pack could become a tool I'd use over a period of years, for example, for that very reason (and its a criticism/reservation I have about many modern packs). But its certainly interesting and worthwhile to study it a little, to discover what value it does have.

Flicking through randomly, some of the images evoke my memory of the myths, and I find that interesting and enjoyable because in one simple image you see all the complex associations of the story, with the idea that its also a psychological situation that may sometimes correspond to your own life. So its a little snapshot, like a still from a movie almost, for you to explore. "Hey there's Hercules wrestling the lion!" - etc etc (Strength) - so there's a sense of 'recognition' which is both fun and psychologically interesting.

Felt interested in The Moon this morning, I think for a few reasons. First, I felt recently that an astrological study of the progressed moon is probably very useful and I've never done it (progression basically = the way it moves through your chart over the years). And secondly, I find the image conveys the sense of can't-be-touched depths that control you, not the other way round, quite well. Its the unconscious, the dream-world, the hidden part of you where there's no light so you can't see your way around.

Apart from that, I also read the Mythic book and what it says about moon goddess, Hecate, which is interesting.

katie_here

The Mythic Tarot

I got my deck last summer. I'd only been studying Tarot for about a year, but was having trouble.

I went to this shop in the town centre, that sells tarot, candles, witchy things and stones.

I was talking to the proprieter and saying I wanted a deck that would be easy to understand with pictures I could memorize. He offered me this one because, he said, it was what he learnt tarot with, and thought it very useful. He also had the accompanying book (second hand) but he'd sell it to me cheap.

So I bought the deck and I've never looked back since. I don't think I've used my other deck much since and haven't really bothered to buy another tarot deck (I've been getting Oracle decks instead).

Once I read the story, look for pointers in the appropriate card, I can usually relate the story to an aspect in a person life or their personality or the way they relate to other people. I find it easier to interpret in my own words than I can from other decks and other explanations.

I also love Greek Mythology and know most of the stories.

Moonbow

theredfox said:
And maybe a mod will come by and tell me what happens next! - does the study just carry on in this same thread?

Hi theredfox

Have a look at the guidelines for starting a Study Group here:

Thinking of Starting a Study Group?

It seems that you are already part way down this list.

The next stage is for whoever (you?) is going to take control of the Index of cards to start a thread called something like 'Mythic Tarot Study Group - Index of Cards'. Then each time someone (it doesn't have to be you) starts a new thread, you link the new thread into the Index. A new thread should be started for each card.

Myself or Sulis will then post a link of your Index into the main Study Groups Index.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask Sulis and/or myself.

Moonbow*

Lula Jing

Oh! Please may I join in! :D

My attraction to the deck...

As a 5 or 6 year old, I watched Jason and the Argonauts and to this day it's my top film of all time. I will never forget Talos, the protector of the treasure. I had a sudden impulse to jump up on to my dad's knee when Talos turned his head and came to life! (I had a similar issue with the Daleks in Dr Who).

Age 7 I went to Crete and was spell bound. Have returned to Greece on many holidays since.

I have been studying Tarot for about a year, but I have held an interest for around 20 years.

A friend recently encouraged me into my favourite "mumbo jumbo" shop (an affectionate term I use for my new interest!) where I found myself drawn to The Empress on the face of the deck.

I have since bought a deck, book and silk cloth set, so I now have a deck to study and a deck to work with.

I will be more than happy to join in here! I don't have a good knowledge of the myths yet but I would love to learn more. Can anyone recommend any good books? Maybe a good illustrated one?

BTW - nice to meet you all!

SP :)

theredfox

Jason? Yay! Still fun to watch, after all this time.
Crete? Yay again - been there about 7 times, working my way along the south coast: Paleochora, Sougia, Lendas, Loutro, Mirtos, Plakias, Ierapetra...Although it was more for sun, beaches and mountains than a chance at spotting Odysseus or Zeus.

Moon: I dont understand this. Does it mean that you have threads scattered all over the place, accept that you cant really prevent it, but compile the Index thread to refer to them all?

Addendum: so how do you track who's posting what, and where it is, so you can do that?

Moonbow

Hi theredfox,

Something like that yes.

If a thread doesn't get posted to regularly it will gradually drop down the forum - possibly out of sight.

In order for people to find the relevant threads, we set up an Index linking all of them. Have a look at one of the others, for example the Legends (as I know you have been interested in that group). In the Study Groups Index you will see a link to Legends. Within that link you will see that David has linked all of the cards so that they can be pulled up by anyone at anytime, despite the fact that they may be very old and out of sight.

Does this make sense? Sulis and I can do the Index for you if you like, but then you will need to PM us each time a new thread (and therefore new card) is started.

PM me if you need help.

Free Flight

hello May I please join too :)

I love my mythic deck and would love to look deeper into its symbiology

Sophie

The Mythic was my main reading deck for years, though for study I used the RWS.

It has languished for the past year or so, but this thread has brought it out of its bag. I tried its wings again on a Conspiracy Theory reading I did - posted in the Your Readings section if anyone is interested - at http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=41664

I never "studied" it - I just loved myths, and tarot, and packed it with me when I left for Rwanda, along with the RWS and one other. It became a true companion.

So maybe it is time for me to study it now? I think I'll drop in from time to time, to learn some more.