Crystal trade

Little Hare

Hello One and all :D

I've done a search but couldn't really find anything, I was just wondering has anyone ever done a crystal trade here on AT? i'm interested in expanding my collection and am curious because i've heard a few members here say they go to local mines or find there own stones.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated

sharpchick

I've not seen a crystal trade, but that might be a fun thing to do.

I'd certainly be interested. I have local access to an abundant source of clear and milky quartz where I live and have picked up some lovely (although not "perfect") clear quartz points.

Briar Rose

I've traded crystals before. I made jewelry and got some tumbled crystals for the trade, here on AT. Trades are the best!!!!

Quarries have piles of Crystals. Sometimes you can go in and ask if you can look through the scrap pile(s).

An egg farm (in the village where I live) sells Crystals by the little bag full. I asked if I could look through the refill box next order. I got a couple dozen Blue Lace Agate, Amethyst, and clear Quartz Crystals for $10.00.

I found a Moonstone the size of a half dollar in the dirt on the side of some country road here.

There's a lake in upstate CT. that has Garnets. Little ones, pebbles. I filled a tiny jar one afternoon.

Perhaps you can look up what Crystals grow in your area and then you'll know what to keep your eyes open for.

Little Hare

A crystal trade would be a fun thing to do :D the only problem is as crystals can weigh quiet alot, postage may have to be restricted to people in the same country, i don't know about you guys postal system, but Australia's is expensive and at times is a pain in the bum

Mi-Shell

I would join in on a crystal trade, since I also make crystal jewellery and have several large crystal enchrusted rocks (boulders)on my property.

Little Hare

i didn't think about crystal jewellery mi-shell, that's a good one! I recently made a russian Amazonite and moss agate choker :)

Kahlie

I'd love to trade, but Holland doesn't have any Crystal Mines... :)

I really like the idea though, because Crystals here are very expensive and so very hard to come by.

Kahlie

memries

I would like to join in but not sure what we have around here so will check it out ! I know we pay a fortune for crystals !

sharpchick

I don't know if it would be of interest or value to people in the US, but my local source also has stones from many other locales. I imagine shipping would be a consideration for those overseas.

I can get a very small bag (2 in by 3 in) of tumbles for $2 US, as long as the drawstring on the bag is able close. Some of the stones I've gotten this way (about 1/2 to 1 in stones) are:

Agates of all varieties (I tend not to buy the dyed ones, but some folks like them)
Amethyst
Bloodstone (infrequently)
Citrine
Clear quartz
Hematite
Jaspers - red, yellow, brown
Lepidolite
Malachite (not very often in the mixed barrel)
Moonstone
Rose quartz
Smoky quartz (fairly infrequent)
Snowflake obsidian
Tiger eye - gold, blue, red
Tiger iron

There are also many other polished stones of about 1 to 1.5 in ranging from $1 to $4 US. The last time I was there, I bought a perfectly triangle shaped piece of polished malachite that shows incredible layers of the stone. It is 1.5 inches in length and 1 inch across at the base of the triangle. I got the stone for $3. (If you love malachite like I do, you know that it can be quite expensive.)

Alta

I discussed this with Solandia and she is okay with it.

Trading guidelines will be almost the same as those in the Trading Forum:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=22477

No commercial stuff, if you want to sell your wares you have to use the Advertisements Forum (and be a subscriber).

Happy trading,
Marion
Moderator, C&H