OSHO Zen Tarot Study Group:IX Aloneness

Indigo Rose

"The humble figure in this card glows with a light that emanates from within. One of Gautum Buddha's most significant contributions to the spiritual life of humankind was to insist to his disciples, 'Be a light unto yourself.'Ultimately, each of us must develop within ourselves the capacity to make our way through the darkness without any companions, maps, or guide."Osho Zen Tarot by Osho

Interesting thoughts here....I agree that each person must CHOOSE to be in the light, and thus be the light in the world. IMHO the ability of Self to navigate the darkness through Wisdom is something that takes discipline and surrender to achieve. In this way, we must be willing to spend necessary time alone searching the deeper meaning of life...the Spiritual realm...if we are to reach the true Light.

:heart:

squeakmo9

I think it is a lonely path that this figure is entering into. A path he has been relegated to and now finds comfort in. Much like card XV-Conditioning, we start out being one of the herd but with maturity realize that it is better to find and express our true essence to the world.

Judith D

He is a tiny old figure alone in a vast space, but takes his own light with him. He must still have plenty of inner energy though, as his inner light shines incredibly strong, and his staff is sprouting! He looks as if he could be approaching the edge of the cliff that the fool is stepping from.
The Hermit in the RWS is very similar, but has to carry a light rather than be that light. I rather like the difference - feels like a step further along the spiritual road. I find the thought of being alone but using our own inner light (strength) to show us the way ahead very appealing.

Grizabella

This is an interesting card for me. I think to myself that I'm secure in being a widow now and that I've accepted being alone. But then I read in the book: "Loneliness is the absence of the other. Aloneness is the presence of oneself." I appreciate that profound statement. In fact, I think I should make a little sign to sit on my desk that says this.

When I first saw this card, I thought the little old man was looking toward the light, not emanating the light as the artist says in the book that she intended him to be. I thought he was peering toward the light, knowing he was going to get there in awhile, and probably having wisdom we don't have about what it would be like to get there so that he's neither in a hurry nor afraid to get there. Looking with anticipation, but in no hurry. I saw Tammy Faye Baker on TV several months ago talking about her cancer and when Larry King asked her if she was afraid to die, she said "no, but I don't want to be on the next bus, either." :D This little old man wouldn't mind if the next bus was his----he's in the moment and at peace.

I find this an extremely peaceful card. Very still and very beautiful, like being poised on a densely foggy cliff as the sun just breaks the horizon.

I like it as well either way---whether he's looking toward the light or emanating the light himself.

Grizabella

This is an interesting card for me. I think to myself that I'm secure in being a widow now and that I've accepted being alone. But then I read in the book: "Loneliness is the absence of the other. Aloneness is the presence of oneself." I appreciate that profound statement. In fact, I think I should make a little sign to sit on my desk that says this.

When I first saw this card, I thought the little old man was looking toward the light, not emanating the light as the artist says in the book that she intended him to be. I thought he was peering toward the light, knowing he was going to get there in awhile, and probably having wisdom we don't have about what it would be like to get there so that he's neither in a hurry nor afraid to get there. Looking with anticipation, but in no hurry. I saw Tammy Faye Baker on TV several months ago talking about her cancer and when Larry King asked her if she was afraid to die, she said "no, but I don't want to be on the next bus, either." :D This little old man wouldn't mind if the next bus was his----he's in the moment and at peace.

I find this an extremely peaceful card. Very still and very beautiful, like being poised on a densely foggy cliff as the sun just breaks the horizon.

I like it as well either way---whether he's looking toward the light or emanating the light himself. Or both. :)

Master_Margarita

I like to pair this card with Adventure (the Page of Rainbows) because I see these images as speaking to one another.

Perhaps this hermit is the small child all grown up. True, there is no rainbow of colors on the Aloneness card, but there is a pure white light. The child goes to the light; the adult is the light. And the child enters the forest, but the adult carries a staff that has sprouted leaves (like Tannhauser, though I don't think I want to follow that particular analogy down the garden path this morning).

Rev_Vesta

Aloneness IX

For me this card represents the need to not feel alone but to enjoy the aloneness being alone can bring.......
being alone can assist you greatly on your journey........
can give you time to study...
can give you time to get those things done that you need to do...

can also allow you time to heal within......

This card reflects on you.......on what you need to grow and devlop within yourself..........Enjoy Being in the Now.... You do not need to rush ahead... do not hurry but take your time....... slolwly does it.......

Blessed Be!

Vesta

kayless

Aloneness isn't loneliness.
Aloneness is independence and self-sufficiency.

Thats exactly what this card means for me.

Sanctum_Priest

I've never agreed with the John Donne notion that no man is an island. "Ultimately, each of us must develop within ourselves the capacity to make our way through the darkness without any companions, maps or guide."