Margarete Petersen Study Group Proposal - with or without the deck!

Sulis

Just to let you guys know that I've added the words 'Margarete Petersen study' to the titles of all of the study threads.
Should make them easier to find.

Love

Sulis xx

contrascarpe

Nice to see new life on this study group. This is truly my favorite, and most intense, deck. The artwork on these cards goes right to my soul. I feel like I can do an effective reading for someone using just one card.

Dan

weaver

artist inquiry

Though I have posed this question elsewhere on the Forum, I thought this might be an appropriate place to inquire again. I think my study of this deck would be enhanced by knowing a little something about it's creator, Margarete Petersen. I find that I can better appreciate an artist's work when I know what might have inspired or otherwise influenced them.

As far as I can make out, if any such information exists on-line, it is only available in German, a language I do not speak. Does anyone here have any biographical information that might be illuminating with regard to understanding MP's Tarot artwork?

On another note, altogether, you all are zooming right along! I have some catching up to do!

weaver

firemaiden

weaver, give us a link - I'll see what I can translate. She does share something about her life in the introduction to the little companion book. You have the book in English, no?

weaver

Thank you Firemaiden!

I have both the German and English editions of the deck and so do have access to the information the LWB's provide. (I believe both LWB's provide the same information.) Indeed, I think it is the scant information provided in the LWB, coupled with the staggering artwork of the deck itself, that piqued my interest as to who Margarete Petersen is and what has been her path?!

Here we have an exceedingly insightful artist, poet and self professed "dreamer". The deck took her 22 years to create during which time Margarete's friend, Luisa Francia, refers to Margaret's "times of crisis" and that "for a while it looked as if Margarete would never finish her Tarot deck" in her Introduction to the LWB.

Margarete apparently had quite a few moves during that 22 year period and managed to raise a daughter, but writes "People often ask me, What else do you do aside from the Tarot cards? I always answer, Nothing". This answer is then amended to "In short, I have lived."

Still, what was happening during the gestation of these profound and insightful images? I view each of the cards in this deck to be like portals that have the ability to transport and touch upon one's innermost core. Did she publish artwork prior to the deck's creation? Is she creating artwork currently? If so, what is it like? Is she a popular, or obscure, German artist?

While I don't remember ever wondering about a Tarot deck creator before, I do always like to know as much as possible about the artists whose works I view when visiting museums. I guess it is a high complement that this deck has piqued my interest to want to understand it's creator, and thus her artwork, more.

Firemaiden, you ask me to provide a link. I am rather illiterate in terms of how the computer, or the AT Forum, operates. I am not exactly sure what a link is! Can you please instruct me further?

Many thanks,
weaver

firemaiden

Hi Weaver - To give me a link, you go to the web site in question, and then copy the address of that site from your address bar, and paste it into your post here, so I can click on it, and find the site you need translated.

Mimers

weaver said:
On another note, altogether, you all are zooming right along! I have some catching up to do!

weaver

Weaver, don't feel preassured! I was off Monday and speant a lot of time with the deck. I won't be moving that fast from here on in, so there is pleanty of time to catch up :)

Blessings,
Mimi

mgrace

Thanks for your work!

Dear Kind people, I wanted to thank you so much for your work on the Marg Petersen deck. Just bought it on the TG Reverse Auction. German version--wasn't sure about that! But see that you wonderful people have posted translations! And other goodies for me to read. Yea, AT! Thanks so much!