Legend: King of Shields: Uther

Lyones

Uther stands confidently looking at us with his head tilted slightly as if making an assessment. He looks almost cocky, assured of his position.

I'm not sure of what he's holding in his right hand, I thought it was a stick of some kind, but the end is kinked and looks like it could be a whip, which would make him a bit of a slave-driver in the business world.

He has a dog at his feet, which makes me think that he is loyal, but demands loyalty in return. It looks as if it has been well trained and sits obediently waiting for his command, and Uther would be used to being obeyed, having things done for him.

The bins of food for the animals behind him make me think of him not only as provider, but as making sure that his stock is kept healthy. The 3 wooden supports and beams, show stability, responsibility, strength, solidity and structure, providing protection for his assets.

WalesWoman

I think it is a bullwhip in Uther's hand, "cracking the whip" to be sure, so it could be, you've got to do, what you've got to do, in order to succeed or remain on top, to take care of business without slacking. I guess delegating tasks would apply for the dog, since he is trained to obey upon command.

I would imagine this is a shepard, a "cow" dog, a working dog...or working like a dog. He isn't just a pet, he has a job to do, herding the livestock and protecting it from predators, so he is well trained and disciplined, and very intelligent. He is aggressive and has a bite behind his warning bark if it goes unheeded. Dogs like these make the cattle or sheep feel secure and protected, but they also view him as the one with the authority to steer them in the right direction as well as round them up when they get lost or stray too far from the safety of the herd. These dogs are fearless and won't hesitate to warn of danger and defend the livestock from wolves and foxes and coyotes (altho' there are not coyotes in Arthurian England)...just makes me think of protection and defense from schysters, hucksters and other tricksters or "wolves in sheep's clothing." Anything that threatens your security...
I just had an image that this barn is much like a bank, a place where you store your capital and gains. No chickens or there could even be a "nest egg" deposited somewhere. LOL...sorry.

Sophie-David

The King of Shields card strongly parallels the Queen. While the Queen tends the treasures of the storeroom, the King checks the stables. Although royalty, both these characters are practical "earthy" people, connected to the land and to their assets. Uther, the King, certainly does convey a relaxed authority, and he is used to being obeyed - even the work dog has come to attention at his feet. He has a keen sense of business values, and he seems to be weighing the potential of his cattle in this scene.

Anna-Marie has again presented us with a beautiful interior. It may be Winter outside, but the long low rays of the sun come through an upper window into the stables, lining the symbolic three wooden pillars with gold. The King is similarily trimmed with gold, and he wears warm and practical clothing (at least three layers) with well kept working clothes under his regal cloak. I notice that his hair is carefully tied in place with a gold band. This man has organized everything for efficiency and practicality.

Uther Pendragon is pronounced "YOOH-thur pen-DRAG-un" or "OOH-thur pen-DRAG-un".

Lyones

There's a kind of metal thingie at the back of the stable, leaning against, or fixed to the pillar or wall - does anyone know what that is? I was wondering if it had any significance.

WalesWoman

Ok, ya made me look! I think they are the metal anchors for thatched roofs, one of those trivia things from watching TV. Never know when that sort of things will come in handy.

But hey, got to keep the roof secure and dry so you don't get your livestock sick or the hay molding from unwanted emotions seeping in through the cracks.

You know, I don't think he's holding a bullwhip after all, since he can lead that bull around by it's tender nose. It looks more like a metal implement...am trying to figure that one out still, but it almost has a spade like end with a curve. I don't think it would be much good for pitching hay, but it might have something to do with the thatches, to tuck them in and trim them? Now I've got to go in search of thatch roofing.

http://www.thatch.org/glossary.htm

Here are some glossary terms, but couldn't find a picture of what Uther is holding. I think the metal things in the back could be a "crook"/hook other wise known as a spike or thatching nail. There weren't any pictures for this tool, but it sort of sounds like what Uther may have in his hand, a twisle/wimble. LOL love the terminology
But I did add to my trivia knowledge and can tell my oldest what his last name means...a length of Hazel wood.

GloriJ

My eyes this time were focused on the bull, and I was thinking that perhaps this time Uther is about being in control of our wilder animalistic side.

crazy raven

My eyes this time were focused on the bull, and I was thinking that perhaps this time Uther is about being in control of our wilder animalistic side.

Although this is an old thread, I was recently gifted with this wonderful deck but alas not the book.

This was my card for the day, and my eyes totally focused on energy of the White Bull. These are my musings....

The bull has always been a symbol of wealth, authority, success and productiveness. A symbol of prosperity, it was apparently on early Celtic coins.

In this day and age the "Bull Market" refers to a quick rising stock market.

The knights of Camelot were considered brave and strong and needed to personify the strength and endurance of the Bull in competitions and during war.

The White bull which is the most sacred in many different myths was destined to be slaughtered to determine who would win the crown and when.

We know Uther Pendragon considered anything magic to be destroyed, especially the Druids whose High Priest performed sacred rituals around the White Bull, sacrificing it and eating its flesh and sleeping in its blood soaked hide. The future king was to appear in the Priest's dream and confirming who was to be crowned.

The White Bull represents the Sun and has been held sacred as a symbol of new life. The cow was said to embody the nurturing qualities of the Goddess and the Earth Mother herself.

Over the years, the Bull is still known as a powerful symbol of wealth and influence. It represents hard work, dedication and endurance, qualities that promise achievement, success and long fruitful life.

This may be a time in Uther Pendragon's life where he's not to rush at things or bustle through life, because without plans set in place the result could prove disastrous. Instead this is a time to take a quieter approach, 'one step at a time' to allow the slow materialization of one's goal. But the Bull is often seen as being stubborn and inflexible, so this Bull inspires us to live life to the fullest but warns against becoming self-destructive, self-indulgent or driven by desire and greed. Bull people have strong personalities but if nutured properly can grow to become mature, stable and inspiring leaders.

Uther almost seems to be meditating or contemplating the qualities of the bull. In astrology the bull is representative of Taurus and Taurus represents transition and evolution. This may be a transition in Uther's life, and his future as King. It's not a time to struggle against changes - it's a time of balance, tranquility and going within.

seedcake

We know Uther Pendragon considered anything magic to be destroyed, especially the Druids whose High Priest performed sacred rituals around the White Bull, sacrificing it and eating its flesh and sleeping in its blood soaked hide. The future king was to appear in the Priest's dream and confirming who was to be crowned.

Do you mean modern version from a TV show "Merlin" by BBC? Modern interpretation but I totally see why they've done it this way. BTW, I love the show :)

But taking bits from older material - Uther asked Merlin for help to be with Igraine. When I got the King of Shields I've seen him as a person who will use anything for personal gain - even magic with its own rules. Uther had no idea (or didn't want to understand), that his actions, very materialistic, will make Fate change. This card is grounded, a bit too much, especially when I think of one of the versions of the legend.