First Thoth book for Unitarian Christian (gift)?

Lokismile

I am giving the Thoth to a relative soon as a gift, as she's been wanting it for some time. She currently has a different deck, and after reading for her with the Thoth twice she is eager for her promised birthday gift.

She is a extremely progressive, light working Unitarian Christian.

I'm torn on a text for her first experience. Do you all recommend Banzhaf, Ziegler or something else as her first book?

I will introduce her to Duquette's book later. that along with Crowley's work is my touchstone, but I desire the right fit for her that still holds true.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. she currently uses a copy of the Classic Tarot, but has moved past it.

Zephyros

Both Banzhaf and Ziegler give something like their own spin to the deck, so I actually wouldn't really recommend them for anyone. Having different viewpoints is great, but only after you've covered the basics. So, yeah, I would say DuQuette. Any special reason you prefer not to give her that book?

Carla

Both Banzhaf and Ziegler give something like their own spin to the deck, so I actually wouldn't really recommend them for anyone. Having different viewpoints is great, but only after you've covered the basics. So, yeah, I would say DuQuette.

Seconded.

Lokismile

Two factors for both of you, and I'd love to hear what you think.

the first is the complexity and her personality. While she is fully capable of exploring the info, I fear she will be overwhelmed by the first 2/3 of the book. With a tendency to get focused on tackling too much at once, this could be a risk.

Secondly, I worry some of the content may be a bit intense for her. I would have to encourage her to focus with working on the deck, I think, and not attempt to navigate chapters about Sex Magick, etc.

Then again, nothing is probably more frustrating than the loss of the original creator's intent. This is a serious factor to consider, as I wasted over 5 years of my life with Arrien before buying the Book of Thoth.

Nemia

So why even consider Ziegler whose book is just a watered-down version of Arrien's? It's as shallow as a puddle in the summer.

Both DuQuette and Snuffin are good choices. Banzhaf is better than Ziegler and explains nicely, but I'd prefer DuQuette. IMO it's the best if you really want to start getting to know the Thoth, not only use it for readings and somehow make sense of it with the crutches of somebody else's simplified explanations.

Zephyros

Two factors for both of you, and I'd love to hear what you think.

the first is the complexity and her personality. While she is fully capable of exploring the info, I fear she will be overwhelmed by the first 2/3 of the book. With a tendency to get focused on tackling too much at once, this could be a risk.

Secondly, I worry some of the content may be a bit intense for her. I would have to encourage her to focus with working on the deck, I think, and not attempt to navigate chapters about Sex Magick, etc.

Then again, nothing is probably more frustrating than the loss of the original creator's intent. This is a serious factor to consider, as I wasted over 5 years of my life with Arrien before buying the Book of Thoth.

DuQuette does a lot to dispel many of common misconceptions about Crowley and his deck, including all the Sex Magick stuff. If your friend comes from a Christian background it's best to get these out of the way first, before hearing second-hand rumours about how wicked Crowley was, how perverse, etc.

gregory

If the magick is what worries you - I would run with Snuffin, then. Banzhaf is good too, but I just prefer Snuffin.

I wouldn't give Ziegler to ANYONE. EVER.

Well, maybe as a gag gift as long as they could see why it was a gag. })

Lokismile

Thank you for the feedback everyone.

I picked her up Duquette and am going to mail soon with the current printing of the standard size deck.

It is the vision of the Thoth and the Aeon that she admires, and I do believe dispelling rumors is best right up front. I think she'll be fine, and enjoy it.

Thanks for letting me bounce this around with all of you. Cheers.