My first holistic fair this Saturday!

Ruya

Hi everyone! First I'd like to say I don't post much because I'm just not on very often. Also I try to do searches to find answers instead of asking something that may have been asked 101 times already ;)

That being said, I'm happy to say I'm reading at my first holistic fair this Saturday. I've made a list but would appreciate any input and suggestions, if it sounds like I'm leaving anything out that I should take. It's a small one day event, 10a-5p. They provide a 6ft table, I provide everything else. I'll be indoors. Here's my list so far: 2 chairs, tablecloth, reading cloth, cards, crystals, a sign with rates, business cards, phone charger (and extension cord?), SquareUp card swipe thing, small bills for change, a gallon jug of water & a Nalgene to drink it from, sandwiches and small snacks (in a cooler), napkins, hand sanitizer, hand creme. Did I miss anything?

Also, those of you who do or have done fairs, do you charge less at the fairs or do readings by love offering (donation)? I've seen readers do it both ways here. I considered making two signs, one with regular rates for short readings, and one saying I'm working by love offering/donation "today only", then see what everyone else is doing at the fair (they all know each other, I'm new) & take a cue from them on what to put up. Thoughts?

celticnoodle

:thumbsup: CONGRATULATIONS!!!

That is way cool and I hope you enjoy it and have a great time. I have never worked at a fair, but I wouldn't do it for free/donation only. You're going to be there a long time and you should be payed for your efforts.

Generally, at fairs, there are so many people offering readings, that if it were me, I would lower my price slightly from what I normally charge one on one in my own home/their home for a reading. (or the same as what the other readers at the fair are also charging) You may also want to have some xeroxed papers with your information on it and perhaps with THAT offer 'home' parties and mention when you do a party (at a house or where have you), you offer a free reading to the hostess/host. That is always a hit.

When you give out your business cards to the customers--give them two. One to keep and one to pass along to a friend.

It does sound like you have covered everything, (at least from what I can tell), so just have fun and enjoy it!

Good Luck - and, let us know how it goes!

Disa

Congratulations! Maybe an hour glass to keep track of time? Some paper or pens for them to take notes? A sign in sheet or a pad for you to get their email addresses?

Good luck and have fun :)

Ruya

After I posted I remembered Kleenex, just in case for emotional readings. I do have some small notepads & pens to take - although I've yet to have anyone want to take notes or write things down. I've offered in the past and people look at me funny & just shake their head 'no'. A fair may be different though, people are coming specifically for things like this. I have had a few folks ask to record their reading w/the voice record feature on their phone, and I'm okay with that.

Good idea on reminding people the host/hostess gets a free reading. Eventually putting parties on my site (slowly building it) and need to add that, because I forget to say it. I think maybe I could make two signs (they'll be in frames) since I'll have a big table. One with special fair/show rates and the other saying I do parties, themed events, etc. and that the host/hostess gets a free reading. Thanks guys!

Grizabella

I've made more money sometimes on the love offering than with set rates.

I just wanted to tell you about the phone charger thing I have. I got it from Amazon for about $20 and it's a little gizmo you charge at home and then carry with you to give your phone a charge without the need for an outlet. Its the size of a small flashlight and comes with a variety of phone adapter things so it works with most phones. And when not in use it can be used as a flashlight. It's called Power/IDD so do a search for that on amazon. It's the niftiest little gadget ever!

celticnoodle

Congratulations! Maybe an hour glass to keep track of time? Some paper or pens for them to take notes? A sign in sheet or a pad for you to get their email addresses?

Good luck and have fun :)
oh yes! Great idea with both the hour glass and I also forgot notepad, clipboard (I always provid this with paper & pen) and pens. My customers are always grateful for this.

After I posted I remembered Kleenex, just in case for emotional readings. I do have some small notepads & pens to take - although I've yet to have anyone want to take notes or write things down. I've offered in the past and people look at me funny & just shake their head 'no'. A fair may be different though, people are coming specifically for things like this. I have had a few folks ask to record their reading w/the voice record feature on their phone, and I'm okay with that.

good idea too!

ravenest

I charged on what the person could afford ... one day I did a reading for single mum for $5 ... the next client was dripping with jewelry ... I asked her what she did for a job and she was a paralegal , so I quoted $60 (and told her I charged the last person, the single mum $5 ) .... she smiled and said "That's fine with me."

Ruya

Thanks everyone for the good ideas. I forgot my husband has one of those portable chargers, so I'll borrow it for the Fair & leave the extension cord at home. I do have a clipboard as well, and 3 sand timers (meant for tea but they'll word) & will take those as well. I saw admission to the Fair will be a love offering, so I feel that somewhat sets the tone for the Fair and will do readings by love offering, but will have a sign with rates with me - just in case I see others putting up signs for $ amounts & not for love offering ;) I hadn't planned to collect email addresses, I don't send out a newsletter or anything. Suppose I could collect them for a monthly email blast of where I'll be & reminder of website & services offered?

celticnoodle

When I read tarot in a store, I'd collect email addresses from people who wished to sign up for specials. Not a monthly newsletter per se. But every now and again, and especially before Christmas, (my slow period), I'd send out a discount offer to my past customers.

I also would give my best customers (those who came to me over and over again) a free birthday reading, (if I knew their birthday). It really did help me through both slow periods of not so many customers, (November to Feb/March) and kept my returning customers very happy with the arrangement. Just something for you to think about as far as collecting the email addresses.

Ruya

Well, I got preoccupied with a sick spouse and sick dog this afternoon and didn't get to the bank for some change. I won't have time in the morning before having to be there & set up, so looks like I'm reading by love offering. Any suggestions on sign wording? All I could come up with was "Today - Oracle Card, Angel Card, and Pendulum Readings are by Love Offering" Does that read/sound correct?