Can the Tower be positive on the spot? (or always afterwards)

tarot_quest

Hi guys!

After someone told me on the exchange forum the Tower can mean a ''breakthrough'' or ''sudden communication'', we both agreed that a Tower event is nearly always negative when it happens.

I read past replies on AT saying that a Tower moment is often positive in retrospect. For example, when I did not get a job that I wanted, I realized that it was for my best interest since I would probably not have been happy in this field.

So my question is, can the Tower be felt as positive when a ''tower event'' happens, or is it always an unpleasant experience, on the spot?

Thanks for sharing your experience :)

headincloud

IMHO the tower can be very positive, for example signalling your dream job on the scene after being in a rut for a year, or winning the lottery would be a tower moment or a wished for lover on the scene unexpectedly during deep loneliness or a marriage proposal etc.

It all depends on what the tower relates to. I see it as primarily a disruptive card, we can be in a good or bad situation when we receive it but it doesn't define good or bad occurrences in it's own right.

rwcarter

So my question is, can the Tower be felt as positive when a ''tower event'' happens, or is it always an unpleasant experience, on the spot?
Of course it can be positive in the moment. Every scientist who makes a groundbreaking discovery or proves a theory is having a Tower event in the moment.

Rodney

SunChariot

Hi guys!

After someone told me on the exchange forum the Tower can mean a ''breakthrough'' or ''sudden communication'', we both agreed that a Tower event is nearly always negative when it happens.

I read past replies on AT saying that a Tower moment is often positive in retrospect. For example, when I did not get a job that I wanted, I realized that it was for my best interest since I would probably not have been happy in this field.

Thanks for sharing your experience :)

That depends on your meaning for the card. Different readings have/use different meanings. Although I would never ever say that a card could not mean anything in Tarot, as intuition figures in too and that can take us almost anywhere.

That said, my meaning for The Tower is not negative in any way. I have no negativity to it, at least not in essence. There is not feeling to it, it just is.

The Tower for me = sudden change that happens in the blink of an eye and changes thing permanently. There is no negative or positive sense to it. It is simply that. The change can be anything at all. It could be the birth of child. the moment 2 people are pronounced married. It both cases things change permanently as a result. It can also often represent a graduation for me. At that moment that they graduate, they are no longer a student and there has been permanent change in that sense.

The Tower is often about the act of falling in love for me. The moment in time when you realize for the first time that you are in love. That instant when the realization hits. And nothing between you is the same again. And also because the image usually literally shows 2 people FALLING.

It can of course represent any change that is sudden and permanent. And of course there are some changes we welcome more than others. But there is nothing inherently negative in the card meaning to me.

Actually there are no negative card meanings to me. And it does tend to me part of my life-view that nothing negative can happen to us in life unless it is there to create something positive for us in the long run. The next thing if it comes up to show unwanted change is to help the querent see some good in it and how to deal with it in the best ways. That tends to show up in the card too, I find.

BTW, since my meaning differs from yours, not getting a job and finding out later that it was better you had not gotten it is pretty much in line with my meaning for the Wheel of Fortune card (for me, unexpected change that closes down a path you were hoping to take and forces you to change plans/paths. But that is also part of the meaning for me that it happened because that path would not really have been good for you or made you happy).

But that's normal, we all read differently. :grin:

Babs

SunChariot

Of course it can be positive in the moment. Every scientist who makes a groundbreaking discovery or proves a theory is having a Tower event in the moment.

Rodney

Yep, I can see that too. Both of those fit in with my meaning for the card.Very exciting stuff. :grin:

Babs

tarot_quest

IMHO the tower can be very positive, for example signalling your dream job on the scene after being in a rut for a year, or winning the lottery would be a tower moment or a wished for lover on the scene unexpectedly during deep loneliness or a marriage proposal etc.

It all depends on what the tower relates to. I see it as primarily a disruptive card, we can be in a good or bad situation when we receive it but it doesn't define good or bad occurrences in it's own right.

Thank you for this input! Thus far, I had something negative happening when pulling this card. Your examples illustrate positives outcomes with this card. I feel that a Tower moment happens when the status quo is calm and stable, hence the disruptive effect of the Tower.

Rodney

Thanks for this example Rodney! I was in science (doing research), so your example makes a lot of sens to me. Again, the Tower shakes up the status quo as well in this situation, by changing pre existing theories and adding new ways of thinking (and it's all positive :)).

tarot_quest

The change can be anything at all. It could be the birth of child...
It can of course represent any change that is sudden and permanent. And of course there are some changes we welcome more than others. But there is nothing inherently negative in the card meaning to me.

Babs

Yes! My best friend had a baby recently and I asked the cards an advice/what will happen and got the Tower... It is true that things did change drastically. She talks a lot about her baby and the baby is a permanent physical presence when I am with her. It is fun in many ways, but sometimes a little annoying (she can't drive, so she is always at home and I have to visit her).

Thanks for your other examples and your views on this card. I also understand what you meant with the Wheel. Maybe I will eventually get an obvious positive outcome, on the spot, with the Tower some days?

Grizabella

I agree that the Tower incidents in my own life have had positive attributes but often in retrospect. At the time they were quite upsetting, but in looking back, good things did come of the circumstances that happened that were so unpleasant at the time.

tarot_quest

I agree that the Tower incidents in my own life have had positive attributes but often in retrospect. At the time they were quite upsetting, but in looking back, good things did come of the circumstances that happened that were so unpleasant at the time.

That has EXACTLY been my experience with this card so far. That is why I was curious to ask if this card could ever be positive WHILE the event was happening. I know that each card can be interpreted differently by every tarot reader, but I am pleasantly surprised to hear that some ATers had positive experiences, during a ''Tower moment''.

Xepia

Tower as outcome in positive reading.

This reminds me of a recent reading I was uncertain on the particulars... not too long ago I did readings on each individual creative and/or business venture I'm currently pursuing. I should note that I've been struggling for 15 years to find stability in a decent profession which I enjoy in spite of excelling in studies and various skills. Certain ventures were very clear that they wouldn't be going anywhere at this time, with minor arcana cards, others were more ambiguous, but the one venture I'm spending the most time in and am having the most positive response had all great cards in the reading - success, financial reward, people finally recognizing your efforts; it was all: YES YES YES!! And then as the outcome I received the Tower upright. I was very confused to see this as an outcome for such a positive reading. So much so that I wondered if it could just mean major change without the negative aspects associated with the Tower. Your suggestion that a dream comes true after a rut was more of a hope I had than a concrete thought...after all after living impoverished for so long having a middle class income would come with the challenges associated with middle class life, many things would be a struggle to learn how to do and it would be a type of upheaval, so it seemed on track. I also considered other positive major change such a marriage or success in another field... but I couldn't shake the despair that even my positive reading ended in Tower..., like "oh no! Why can't I catch a break?" Finally something good might happen but it won't and it's going to end in a sudden upheaval?

The only update I have is that the tower has, a few months later, moved into the present future position while the rest of the cards continue to read positively ....

Ithought I'd share this here because it's applicable - but I am a little lost at a solid interpretation and would be interested in hearing others' thoughts on Tower as outcome in an otherwise positive reading.