study group application - Scorpio in your life

Minderwiz

I tend to use Placidus Houses unless there is a good reason why not to (such as a birth in or near the Artic Circle) in which case I will use equal Houses.

The Cusps occur in an anti-clockwise direction - from the Ascendant. Thus, using equal houses, if the Ascendant is 10 degrees Scorpio, the second House cusp wil be 10 degrees Sagittarius and so on.

I don't think its a good idea to all use the same system particularly - astrologers tend to fall into using a system because it works for them - its like saying that we should all use the same order of layout and interpretations for a Celtic Cross. Whilst it has an appeal, if you have two teachers trying to use systems they don't use themselves they tend to foul up - Try using someone elses' Tarot layout instead of your own and you'll see that it take a lot of time to get used to - the instinct doesn't run properly.

I think it is best though to say which House system we are using so that others can make any adjustment that they want to make.

isthmus nekoi

oh that's a good point. I wouldn't want to force anyone into using a house system they're not going to be comfortable working w/.

zorya

minderwiz,
after reading your last post for me, my jaw hit the floor.

wow!

if i had an ounce of doubt, about the authenticity or accuracy of astrology. i don't any longer.

i have one question...i am a little confused. my mercury is 4 degrees away from neptune and is conjunct, but my venus is only 5 degrees from mercury and you've said it is just out of orb. i thought more degrees were allowed? not that this doesn't fit me better....

i had attributed my self worth issues as stemming from emotionally distant parents who abused me as a child. this brings up a great many questions... i think i'm going to go have an existential crisis now.....

zorya

well, several hours later and i'm back from my existential crisis (at least for now)

isthmus nekoi,
you mean people really do think i'm flakey and out there? i always suspected they did, but hoped they just thought i was just eccentric, lol . i guess i'm hanging out in the right place then...

yes, yes, unusual, imaginative, dreamy. and unfortunately out of touch, could all be used to descibe me.

no pisces anywhere in my chart.

when discussing the mars conj. the moon et al (oppositions included).... yeah, you are right on.... aw shucks, this stuff is to close to the truth... back to my crisis.....

Minderwiz

Zorya,

Mercury is conjunct Neptune and Venus is conjunct Mercury, but the distance from Venus to Neptune is over nine degrees and I usually take eight as the orb for a conjunction. Now there is a strong argument for saying that Mercury unifies the trio and thus extends the conjunction with Neptune to Venus. I might well have made use of that if I felt the need and as a fine detail factor but for the time being I wanted to concentrate on the stronger features - Its easier to handle a two planet conjunction than a three planet one (especially if they are technically out of orb).

I actually understated the Moon/Saturn opposition - because of the dignities I thought the chances were very strong that there were problems relating to love as a child - my own opposition is Leo-Aquarius and does reflect the business comes first issue - they needed to put the food on the table but were definitely loving. Your info confirmed my interpretation but you have my genuine sympathy.

Incidentally the dreaminess, otherworldliness is not Pisces its Neptune, which is also conjunct your Ascendant as well as having the conjunction with Mercury (and by extension) Venus. It certainly affects the way that you project yourself into the world - at base though you are strongly 'Cancer' half your planets are in Cardinal signs and also half are in Water signs. The Cardinal Water sign is Cancer and this is your underlying influence, despite the Libra Sun.

isthmus nekoi

zorya> as for the orbs, I generally allow 5 unless I think that the aspect has influenced me as I'm not sure how accurate my birthtime is. The astro.com natal charts allow for really wide orbs; you can reduce this by clicking on the extra chart link (can't remember the exact name of link). I reduce it to 75%.

w/Scorpio rising, I don't think you'd come off as flakey. Quite the opposite in fact! If you came off like you were in lalaland all the time, I'd expect a talkative sign like Gemini, or one of the flighty air signs. Again, Scorpio lends an element of the hidden to your ASC persona. A privateness, a secrecy.
Also, eccentrism is more of an Aquarius/Uranus thing. Neptune is more spiritually based, but yes, can sometimes be perceived as not-grounded, impractical etc.

Minderwiz

Whilst there's no hard and fast rule for orbs - I tend to use 8 degrees for Conjunctions and oppositions, six degrees for squares, trines and sextiles, and 4 degrees for inconjuncts (150 degree angles) other minor aspects about 2 degrees, if I want to use them. some Astrologers will allow wider orbs for Sun and Moon compared to the rest.

I would also use much smaller orbs for Transits and Progressions - given the rate of travel of Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto an eight degree orb could have you tied up for some years, especially if they go retrograde during the orb!

Treat aspects in wide orb as less powerful than narrow or partile and treat applying aspects as more powerful than separating aspects as a general rule, though you may encounter situations where you feel that the rules need to be bent.

isthmus nekoi

yes, w/orbs do what works for you. Generally, the closer the orb, the greater its influence.

truthsayer

i'm pretty curious about how scorpio works in my chart. my birthdate is 2/26/1962 at 9:36 am. if you need more, pm me. i have scorpio at my seventh house with moon and neptue in scorpio. i've generally interpreted this to mean that i am an intense and emotional in my relationships. with neptune there, i tend delude myself about some aspects of people in my personal relationships.

isthmus nekoi

truthsayer> you'll also need to provide your city of birth if you want ppl to look at your natal chart.

Moon in scorpio would be yes, very intense and secretive... perhaps even the ability to see deeply into others, although Neptune there might makes things a little murky. Also, Moon is opposite the sign it's exalted in (Taurus) so moon in Scorpio can be brooding and moody if it's poorly aspected. In 7th, this will relate to your dealings w/others on a one to one level, not necessarily personal relationships, but business ones as well.

Unless Neptune in Scorp has some serious aspect action, I wouldn't put too much weight on this placement unless you feel it's very applicable. Everyone born from about 1955/57-70 will have the same placement. I've read this as Neptune (drugs) and Scorpio (sex) which goes w/the whole hippy environment at the time... Again, the house where this takes place might put a more personal spin on things.