The blossoming of the Tarot of Innocence

shadowdancer

One more card from scratch, and one to re-do.

Then a print ordered.

I have just re-visited the Empress. She was one of my very early attempts and I was never happy with it.

This shows progression. First, the original sketch I had to work from. (It was a rough draft and did cause me to scratch my head a little trying to figure out how to approach it).

My first attempt.

And the finished version.

Attachments

• sketched empress.jpg
    sketched empress.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 144
  • empress2.jpg
    empress2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 137
  • empress3.jpg
    empress3.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 140

rwcarter

DAVINA!!!!!

I hope you are PROUD of yourself at how far you've come with a process that you were totally clueless about when you started! Can you SEE the night and day difference between those two versions of the Empress?

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: (ad infinitum)

Rodney

shadowdancer

Thanks for that Rodney :) This is still the card that is not on a par with others, but at least it doesn't stand out now as out and out bad (If that makes sense)

I am actually proud. The journals arrived and was my first chance to see how they will possibly look as cards.

The colours absolutely jumped out and zinged ya! I have adjusted skin tones on a few cards because the colours were more vibrant than I anticipated - which was a good thing. I just can't wait to get going with the coloured version. I have a messenger bag arriving soon which will house the two deck versions, spread cloth, printed book and journals.

I never thought I would achieve this. So yes - I am proud. Hubby will be pleased when it is finished. Not least it means he can get access to the PC again....lol.

Davina

Oh - photo of rear covers of journal attached. Believe it or not, the colours are better in real life. The flash of the camera has washed them out a little. I also had to scale them a lot to upload, so lost some detail. But trust me - they rock.

Attachments

• journals.jpg
    journals.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 134

reall

WoW! must say I admire book you made here! congrats on all progress here! great job!:))

shadowdancer

Okay final post until they are printed :)

Final few cards (one to be done later today to finish it up)

Row 1: 9 chalice, Moon, Devil, 5 swords.

Row 2: Wheel, Magician, Empress, Fool.

The fool was the first card I did. It was awful...lol. So you can compare and contrast those two cards. The first attempt and finished final.

Note the hole in the cloud. May explain why the dragon is taking on the role of the dog from the RWS decks, and is trying to warn or stop our Fool.

Oh - and don't worry about the blue edge on strength. That disappears when the card is uploaded, and acts as a buffer type of border. The dude on the see-saw looks more realistic when viewed card sized.

Attachments

• section 7.jpg
    section 7.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 133
  • fool first attempt.jpg
    fool first attempt.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 131
  • fool3.jpg
    fool3.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 136

shadowdancer

okay nearly final post :D

here is the original sketch of the Fool.

Attachments

• fool.jpg
    fool.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 136

rwcarter

Note the hole in the cloud. May explain why the dragon is taking on the role of the dog from the RWS decks, and is trying to warn or stop our Fool.
Heart-shaped hole at that! ;)

Rodney

shadowdancer

Yeah you gotta love the dude. I took most of the characters back to the years of childhood. The fool I took from childhood to being a guy going through mid~life crisis. :) The one who does crazy stuff, sometimes dangerous, but he didn't care. He is having fun. He is basically reliving his youth and why not eh. Who set a rule saying the Fool has to be young to have this outlook...lol.

shadowdancer

Okay I am female... I changed my mind about a final post :D

I wanted to show the more serious side to my brain and what I came up with when creating this deck and why.

First off, I had heavy influence from the Mythic as well as the RWS. It was my first deck back in 1996 and is the basis of why I am where I am now as a reader.

The 7 of wands in the Mythic shows the fight/melee. RWS I know portrays more of the way forward blocked / taking defensive stance.

I combined both on my 7 of wands, so you get more bang for your buck in one card.

Also, I wanted there to be more angles. Steve who drew the deck, really did a good job in understanding the angles I wanted and nailed it with how he drew the wolves. Climbing into the brain of a female and making sense of her ramblings is no easy task for a male - he did well :D

So, you can get various takes depending on which character or animal you feel you want to focus on.

The dude? Yep, way forward blocked, be ready to defend.

The rabbit? Heck keep well out of it - too vulnerable.

The two grey wolves on the right? Infighting. They should be on the same side for heck's sake.

The two facing off? More traditional way of seeing a scrap. Two differing forces, opinions etc.

The wolf jumping in? Getting involved in something that does not involve them and making it worse. Believing he is sticking up for his buddy. (I see this at rugby games should a scuffle break out between two players. Others are there in a milisecond)

The mustard coloured wolf? Knows he is different and could be a target, and is just trying to be unobstrusive.

I have tried this with most cards in the deck. I wanted the images to be fairly straight forward and uncluttered, but wanted there to be many angles to come in from. It really would be possible to get the basics from it, to give it to children who would enjoy it, and for me to really dive in and get shedloads of info if the desire is there. At the time of creating it on paper, I did not have any thought as to which age group or demographic it would appeal to. Hopefully it is broad reaching. I want to use this in readings for anyone for any scenario.

There ya go folks.

Next posting will hopefully be away from the creations from and on the tarot decks forum itself.

Davina

Coloured final and original sketch attached of 7 of wands. Again, ignore any white bits on edges. They are not part of the card image when uploaded to the print site.

Attachments

• wands 7 coloured.jpg
    wands 7 coloured.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 139
  • wands 7.jpg
    wands 7.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 128

shadowdancer

This deck is now in my wee paws, and therefore is no longer in creation

YAY!

So will no longer be posting anything here but will switch over to the tarot decks section.

Thanks to everyone who helped get me through the haze. Exciting times ahead.

Davina