Tyldwick - Five of Staves

BodhiSeed

In the "fives" of all the suits is the challenge of being human. In the Staves, it represents a clash of how to get things done. This image includes a shield and five javelins, which might seem dire until you notice the painting on the shield. It shows Greek wrestlers participating as athletes in the ancient Olympic games. Javelin throwing was also part of the games - whoever hurled it further (as long as it landed tip-first) was the winner. The object of these games was not to kill and destroy your opponent, but to best him athletically. In the same way, this card indicates we must prove ourselves by offering the best option or argument for getting something done. The Greek Olympians chose to wear no clothes as they competed; this facet suggests that we should not be motivated by a hidden agenda if we hope to succeed.
ETA: I forgot to mention the chair with its stack of books. It brings to mind the argument over knowledge vs. experience. Would you rather have a surgeon just out of med school who knows all the latest procedures but who's never done a surgery on his own, or an older doctor whose done thousands of surgeries but may not be up on all the latest techniques?

Attachments

• GreekWrestlers.jpg
    GreekWrestlers.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 728
  • JavelinThrower.jpg
    JavelinThrower.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 797

upawell

ETA: I forgot to mention the chair with its stack of books. It brings to mind the argument over knowledge vs. experience. Would you rather have a surgeon just out of med school who knows all the latest procedures but who's never done a surgery on his own, or an older doctor whose done thousands of surgeries but may not be up on all the latest techniques?

Can anything be made of the chair itself? It has no backing, so you see through it -- to the staves/javelins. I'm not familiar with furniture and antiques so I'm not sure if this is even unusual. But I would imagine it would be most uncomfortable to be seated in it (once the books have been removed).

BodhiSeed

Can anything be made of the chair itself? It has no backing, so you see through it -- to the staves/javelins. I'm not familiar with furniture and antiques so I'm not sure if this is even unusual. But I would imagine it would be most uncomfortable to be seated in it (once the books have been removed).

It does look unfinished, doesn't it? As if they were re-upholstering it and forgot to put the back on. Could be what they are arguing about. :D But it does remind me of meditating; teachers often suggest students sit (even in a chair) without the aid of a back rest. It is supposed to keep them more alert so they don't fall asleep. I can certainly see how being awake and alert would be useful here!

upawell

But it does remind me of meditating; teachers often suggest students sit (even in a chair) without the aid of a back rest. It is supposed to keep them more alert so they don't fall asleep. I can certainly see how being awake and alert would be useful here!

That is an excellent point! One must be awake to become aware of conflicts, and moreso if they hope to work through them.

Tyldwick

Outside the context of the deck I might assume this card belonged to the suit of swords! It's a good point that javelins can be used for athletic competition and not only gladiatorial combat (although any conflict may feel like life or death depending on the circumstances).

Within the deck the red on top brings the Hermit to mind. Red (fire) is sprinkled throughout the suit of staves but most strongly in this card with its solid band of color. Looking at them side-by-side reminds me of a quote from Seneca: "A sword by itself kills nobody, but it is a weapon in the killer's hands." Another reminder of the innocuous nature of the javelins as inanimate objects, and how tools have different uses depending on the intent of the bearer.

Ienne

Five of Staves

Oh, great point, Tyldwick. As I went shuffling for The Hermit, The Emperor popped up. I love that card because I am obsessive about how my own books are kept. :) All three cards have something bold, red and learned going on. (How can anyone not love this deck?)