Death as Someone's feelings

balena

I've read several threads on Death as someone's feelings for another on this forum. Death can be seen as the ending of a relationship or the end of a certain stage and the moving on to a deeper stage (dating to marriage etc). What I feel is that Death as Feelings for another is: Inevitability. Death is inevitable - perhaps this person sees you as an inevitable relationship, something outside of their control? Maybe they know you will drive a change in their lives (for good or ill) but they feel powerless to stop it. Anyone have any thoughts?

Laurelle

That's an interesting way to think about Death and I have never thought of it as inevitable. If this is the way someone feels about a relationship, it isn't too romantic.

As a feeling, it can also indicate sexual kundalini feelings....but for the most part, I believe that Death means that they feel is over, done, dead. Of course, this can change as feelings can be momentary, changeable and are prone to fluxuation.

rwcarter

For me, inevitable is along the same lines as fate and when I think of fate, I think of the Wheel of Fortune.

Death I see as something that ends so that something else may begin. So as feelings, the feelings are in the process of transforming. But Death by itself doesn't say if it's a positive or negative transformation. That would need to be gleaned from other cards in the reading.

QueenOfTemperance

That's a really interesting take on it. Unless in a future position, I see the card as showing that the change has already occurred though. I see the Death card as change that you can't come back from. Once it happens, you cannot return to the place you were before. Perhaps the person feels that the other completely changed the way he or she views relationships/friendships/something and now he/she cannot go back to the way things were before this person - there's a sort of ultimatum associated with this card for me. Either keep doing things as they are and be miserable or embrace change. Likely there is very intense emotion about that - whether that's positive or negative would be shown by other cards in the spread.

Perhaps there is some kind of inevitability associated with that, especially since the Death card is about moving to the next level, so to speak.

balena

Interesting response RWcarter. I see the wheel of fortune as something completely outside of itself, governed by something we cannot comprehend - even perhaps outside karma itself. Wheel of Fortune, to me, seems karmic, but something so profound as to skate the outskirts of inevitability. Inevitability, by its very nature, is something you can foresee, whereas the Wheel has its own outcome and we can rarely see or comprehend the outcome. We aren't meant to.

prudence

Death is a card I'd rather not see in answer to someone's feelings for me, especially in a romantic relationship question. I would likely struggle to spin it into something positive, as this answer looks to my eyes like any feelings that may have been present are now dead.

balena

The idea that the feelings are 'dead' when the Death card appears (in response to feelings for another), in a reading is too flat. To 'so-so', and for a card that represents 'to the death' Scorpio I find it ill-fitting. The Death card is an extremely active card. You only need to look at the figure in the picture to see the skeleton riding rough-shod over the corpses - it's on a mission (and grinning while it does it). No, this card is WAY active and is wanting and insisting on change, transformation and action. Death as feelings is the inevitable, you long for and dread.

yannie

Death as someone's feelings for another has always been very straightforward to me: end of, move on.

To try and put a positive spin on it - like that person the querant is asking about sees the querant as an inevitable relationship - is akin to denial, which is a common reaction to Death.

Sometimes the Death card means don't even ask, you know the answer, enough.

Padma

Prudence said:
Death is a card I'd rather not see in answer to someone's feelings for me, especially in a romantic relationship question. I would likely struggle to spin it into something positive, as this answer looks to my eyes like any feelings that may have been present are now dead.

Death as someone's feelings for another has always been very straightforward to me: end of, move on.

To try and put a positive spin on it - like that person the querant is asking about sees the querant as an inevitable relationship - is akin to denial, which is a common reaction to Death.

Sometimes the Death card means don't even ask, you know the answer, enough.

I agree with both Prudence and Yannie. And I do think that people try to deny this card so much, and find every positive spin they can, when in fact to me the only positive spin is you *finally* get the message that it is over, so you can grieve, and move on. That part is positive. :)

ETA I do find the "inevitable" angle very interesting - however, the "inevitable" thing about death is that it totally ends the physical aspect of life. And you cannot escape it. No denying that.

prudence

Death as feelings is the inevitable, you long for and dread.
I would definitely need to struggle quite a bit to get to this conclusion and I'm pretty sure I'd be on the wrong side of Occam's Razor. ;) Death as represented in the tarot card is certainly active, actively ending something (the lives of those pictured in the card) or actively harvesting that which is already dead. I can think of many other cards that would show a person feeling a deep longing for someone else, with a lot less struggle to recognize the answer in the card.