666. Crowley is God!

Grigori

Rosanne said:
Australians tease us Kiwis for our accent we say 'Fish' as 'Fush' and 'Milk' as 'Mulk' and 'Six' as 'sux' so.....
the Beast is SUX SUX SUX or SUX one SUX- and when we think someone really strange we say "Kwawaddle oodle ardle Doodle- the Magpie said" (its from a Poem)
Congrats on your number of Posts- I've had a laugh ~Rosanne

Actually we tease you far saying 'six' as 'sex', so in fact the Beast is about 'sex, sex, sex' which is entirely appropriate really :D

We also tease you about the way you play football..... })

Ross G Caldwell

similia said:
Actually we tease you far saying 'six' as 'sex', so in fact the Beast is about 'sex, sex, sex' which is entirely appropriate really :D

Equally appropriate for To Mega Therion would be "hex, hex, hex" in the Greek, and "sex, sex, sex" in the Latin (although they would have read the number "six hundred and sixty six", not named the numerals individually like we Anglophones tend to do).

Perhaps the Kiwis (and the Scots who pronounce it the same way) say it closer to Latin then...

We also tease you about the way you play football..... })

But surely not rugby... ;-)

Grigori

Ross G Caldwell said:
But surely not rugby... ;-)

My apologies, I forget this is an internation forum...

Actually in Australia and New Zealand football means rugby and what you know as football, we call soccer.

Discussing Australian Rules Football (or its synonyms) will only confuse the issue further of course, and AT's anti-flaming rules forbid me to say what our opinion of American football is (but really, why do you need so much padding? My grandmother is tougher than those guys :rolleyes: )

Now back to the topic before this thread is moved to chat..... :D

If we accept the number 616, as the number for the beast, in what way would this affect Crowley's writings? (more so than the obvious need to correct the number of new typos found }) ) Would it have more dire effects than merely illustrating how late Lillie was creating this thread (50 post to late in fact).

Ross G Caldwell

similia said:
If we accept the number 616, as the number for the beast, in what way would this affect Crowley's writings? (more so than the obvious need to correct the number of new typos found }) ) Would it have more dire effects than merely illustrating how late Lillie was creating this thread (50 post to late in fact).

I'm not sure it would make any difference to Crowley's writings, since he took the number to be 666, and as far as I know didn't have anything to say about the variant 616.

The overwhelming consensus of the manuscript witnesses for the Apocalypse give it as "six hundred and sixty six"; very few witnesses say "six hundred and sixteen". This may or may not be significant, since a paucity of witnesses is not in itself a guarantee of a copyist's mistake. But I think the author of the Apocalypse was thinking in terms of Hebrew letters, and it would be more natural in Hebrew to have the Nun-final form of Nero's name; therefore, I think that 666 is the original reading.

Personally, I don't think Biblical criticism should play a role in understanding Thelema; all Thelemites need to think about is how Crowley (or Aiwass) understood and used the Bible. If the question is "What did the author of the Apocalypse give as the original "number of a man" in Apocalypse 13:18?", then one has stepped outside of the scriptural basis for Thelema, and into a different field altogether.

Ross G Caldwell

Here's the best discussion of this (non-) issue that I have found during a brief Google search -
http://www.catholicintl.com/noncatholicissues/666.htm

The author provides some good information on the papyrus fragment that started it all - Oxyrhychus 115 - and points out that in this text, according to a description of it by David Parker of the University of Birmingham, the number is written out Chi-Iota-Sigma. This is unique among the manuscript witnesses, and if true would result in the number being 810! There are other confusing things about the fragment too. Also, it is not the oldest witness.
Plenty of good information in that article. I hope to find an image of the Ox. 115 fragment to judge for myself.

Naturally, the author agrees on the whole with me ;-) (just trying to inject some humour back into the discussion!)

Lillie

Maybe we could combine all the different pronunciations into

Six sux sex.

Then we could market it as an adult film and all make a fortune.

And football is rubbish. Whatever you all it. :D

rainwolf

Remaniox said:
not to rain on your parade but recently there has been a discovery that the number of the beast is 616.
That was mentioned in post....2 or 3 i think. Sorry, but i got to the cheese first :D

Rosanne

The Lema is a very curious Cat
In 666 we have 'A Man'
A Dam has put paid to that!!
Painting as only a Woman can :D

Now Lillie thinks he is a God
And Astrid thinks he's worth a look
I think he only created Fog
Rising like the Beastie Captain Hook

Similia thinks he is Sex Sex Sex
Ross thinks he is Hex Hex Hex
I think he Sux Sux Sux
(big Time)

A Crowley Look alike in an Aussie Rugby team might add some Magic- but I doubt it.... Australia Suxty Sux- New Zealand Seventy Seven- always ~Rosanne

kwaw

Ross G Caldwell said:
I believe that even some Church Fathers we aware of the two traditions - 666 and 616.

Ireaneus mentions the variant 616 in Against Heresies (V;30) and considers it an error.

Kwaw

smokey

Hey Lillie!
Sorry I'm So late, luv!
(well better late than never!) Just wanted to say
CONGRATS!!!
on your 666 posts!
(oops!) it's over that now! well, you get the message! LOL