The Green Sheaf

roppo

another new finding, perhaps!

Oh, hello Vetch, I'm very glad you enjoyed the Green Sheaf images.

Today I received a rather dirty softback book titled "HENRY IRVING" written by Christopher St. John, publsihed by the Green Sheaf, London, 1905. Yes, it's one of rare titles from PCS's short lived publishing project.

I believe the front piece is the work of PCS, though we cannot recognize her usual PCS sigunature. I'd like to hear your views, friends.

http://grimoire.blog.ocn.ne.jp/doll/files/henryirving.jpg

and furthere images for references. The portrait of Irving is by Bastien Lepage.
http://grimoire.blog.ocn.ne.jp/doll/files/henryirving02.jpg

very small piece of paper attached on the endpaper.
http://grimoire.blog.ocn.ne.jp/doll/files/henryirving03.jpg

The book has a ex-libris saying "Eric Jones-Evans". Google work tells me he is a British playwright. Interesting.

Elnor

Roppo- thanks so much for taking the time to post these images...
One thing I thought was interesting was the last image in the Green Sheaf issue #11, ("A Lyke-Wake Dirge") immediately made me think of a painting by Edvard Munch. As it turns out, he painted "Death in a Sickroom", (which was about the death of his sister) in 1895- nine years before Pamela did this illustration.

I wonder if she ever saw Munch's work? The feeling is very similar, (although, I suppose death at home was quite an unfortunate but common occurrence back then. :( )

http://www.usc.edu/programs/cst/deadfiles/lacasis/ansc100/library/images/662bg.jpg

elnor

The crowned one

Wonderful, rare artwork!

Teheuti said:
Roppo: Thank you for posting these. You did a great job and a great service.

Did you notice that Horton's picture in GS#2 looks almost exactly like the Hanged Man's head? And the text you quoted from William Blake could be taken as a text on the Hanged Man.

Mary

Mary, that was my very first thought.

roppo

a new corner

I'm now constructing "The Occult Art Gallery" in my website and featuring PCS's works. Most of the PCS's Green Sheaf pictures are there.
Explanations are written in Japanese as usual (partly in English), but the pictures are universal (of course!) so anyone can enjoy them; just click the thumbnails.

http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~elfindog/ocartglry.htm

I'm fully aware that most of the PCS pictures are already seen at Holly Volly's excellent website. Well, hers are hers and mine are mine. Anyway I have to build up my own gallery for the Japanese readers. I'll add many more pictures soon, including supposedly an original self-portrait of PCS (watercolor!).

Presently an old tatterd little book tilted "Stories for Corinne" is the eye-catcher. The editor/author is Mrs Colman, the grandmother of PCS.

Friends, please enjoy.

Teheuti

I can hardly wait to see the rest of your pictures. Please let us know as soon as you have the portrait of Pixie up. I'm dying to see it.

Mary

Cerulean

Women of Stiglitz Circle 1/2 off at Amazon.com...

If you are strapped for cash, you can buy it for $17 at Amazon.com instead of $34 from the Georgia Museum...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...ld-keywords=Women+of+Stieglitz+Circle&x=0&y=0

It might be the next good book to curl up with next to my Frank Jensen book on PCS's tarot and Robert Place's Tarot Symbolism...I like seeing her place in art history appreciated even before the 'anniversary' of the 1909-1910 tarot images.

I look forward to this as a good 'art history read' as well as looking at Roppo's site...

Cerulean

Debra

Hm. Here's what the "inside flap" of the book says, according to Amazon.

I might save my money. :D It's that line about the "Freudian-inflected trope of the 'woman-child'" in regards to O'Keefe, on whom this book seems focused....

"Kathleen Pyne meticulously reconstructs the artistic lives of the important-but relatively overlooked-women artists of Alfred Stieglitz's circle. She demonstrates that Stieglitz's interactions with these artists shaped his subsequent promotion of Georgia O'Keeffe's artistic identity through the Freudian-inflected trope of the 'woman-child.' Thus, however well known O'Keeffe may be to contemporary audiences, Pyne's analysis effectively resituates her iconic presence within a broader, gendered field of American modernism."--Marcia Brennan, Associate Professor of Modern and Contemporary Art History, Rice University

"This book is a fascinating study of Stieglitz's 'prototypes' for Georgia O'Keeffe--the modern women artists he promoted and encouraged before he decided on O'Keeffe as the icon who surpassed them all. Modernism and the Feminine Voice will not only open up O'Keeffe studies but also reinvigorate interest in the more quixotic artists such as Anne Brigman left in O'Keeffe's wake."--Alexander Nemerov, Professor in the Department of the History of Art, Yale University

"Pyne widens the field of vision around the art of Georgia O'Keeffe in order to sharpen our focus on it. Our understanding of the sexual politics of modernism is deeply enriched and nuanced by this important book."--Michael Leja, Professor in the Department of History of Art, University of Pennsylvania

"This engaging and original study of American modernism finally places Georgia O'Keeffe in the context of her female peers. Pyne draws upon rich primary sources and lively contemporary influences that include Henri Bergson, Havelock Ellis, and Sigmund Freud. She makes explicit what Alfred Stieglitz meant by 'female creativity,' and how he went about finding it, giving due emphasis to the role played by sexuality in the emergence of the modernist female artist."--Gail Levin, author of Becoming Judy Chicago: A Biography of the Artist

re-pete-a

Roppo your a gem!!You have unwittingly answered a plagueing question."The Hills are alive" Notice the hills in the RWS,especially the lovers,plus, most of the houses or hamlets are on hills,castles etc...........by making public your joy you have expanded awareness,,,we now quote PCS(?)......'HILLS OF HEARTS DESIRE',,,,In the RWS, Purple for the lovers card,PURPLE usually represents Knowledge,we're rambling here.....Thanks HEAPS!!!
________
Alaska Dispensary