Can Tarot really foretell the Future ?

Nikita_

How does it happen? His name is Jehovah and He has the last word. The mighty hand of God.! Amen!
Yes, the cards can give us a glimpse of the future. I don't always blame the reader when a prediction fails to manifest due to the reasons previously mentioned.

I don't blame the reader either....that's the whole point of this thread....

Debra

Yes, tarot can foretell the future.

If you think the future is an invariant result of the past, you might think we could (theoretically) predict it "perfectly," so if our predictions are not perfect, then our fortune-telling is at fault.

This is a mechanistic view of the universe. A --> B --> C.

But the universe is not mechanistic. Randomness and uncertainty are built in to the system. The future is not completely fixed by past events. It is probabilistic. The best we can do is to identify the trends.

Sayadina

Ok so this is my honest opinion here.
The answer that you are looking for is complicated.
I believe Tarot can predict the course of events that my querent is on now. Everyone has free will and I view the cards as an excellent warning system. I always council my querent that if they see something that they are concerned about then they need to make a change. Then we follow up with what they can potentially change.
I've seen it go both ways. A client makes changes and the forseen doesn't come to pass. But more often they make changes on the surface and the ln forget or ignore the warnings and everything comes to pass.

EyeAmEye

In short: YES.

Reader misinterpretation accounts for accuracy or inaccuracy. The cards tell the story, the reader has to understand it. Sometimes we do, sometimes we do not.

Nikita_

OK, I'll give you a comprehensive answer by telling you a very simple story. Some time ago, I did a reading on the usual kind of story for a very good friend of mine. It was the classic relationship reading, where the cards were really fantastic, as clear as daylight, not ambiguous in any way, and pointed to a happy ending fairy-tale style. Although I am not an optimist by nature-actually, quite the opposite, friends often tell me I should be more positive !- I felt that, with those cards, I could definitely tell her that this relationship would go ahead smoothly, and possibly end up in a stable partnership. As time went by, however, things got complicated for her-nothing tragic ; essentially, they were not moving forward-and as I continued to see all rosey cards for her, and a happy ending despite some obstacles, I encouraged her to go and see the other 2 readers I mentioned, who I believe are very good, and certainly not the kind of readers who tell fairy-tales to their clients, without telling them about my readings. They told her the same. Too bad, the relationship ended tragically shortly after....and it doesn't matter why that happened, the point is, did we-me and the other 2 Readers-have a mass hallucination, all of a sudden ? Did we all misread the cards, on that particular occasion ? Or is there something else we are all missing about how it works ??

tarotbear

Nikita_ - you have been very patient with some of the responses you have been getting with this thread.

My question (based off your post #35 ) is: Did they shuffle the cards - or did you? Sometimes - the Tarot tells us exactly what WE want to hear. If your friend was anxious or wary and was hoping that 'This is the best off all possible worlds therefore everything that happens is for the best' - then quite truthfully the Tarot picked up on this emotional energy and mindset and that is what the cards showed - perfect bliss - what they wanted to have happen.

This is part of the 'Human Aura' theory as to 'Why Does Tarot Work?'. No angels, devils, gods or goddesses making the cards come up - they are affected by the body's electromagnetic field and the traces it leaves on the cards. PM me if you want an explanation or clarification on this.

Just my two cents ...

EyeAmEye

OK, I'll give you a comprehensive answer by telling you a very simple story. Some time ago, I did a reading on the usual kind of story for a very good friend of mine. It was the classic relationship reading, where the cards were really fantastic, as clear as daylight, not ambiguous in any way, and pointed to a happy ending fairy-tale style. Although I am not an optimist by nature-actually, quite the opposite, friends often tell me I should be more positive !- I felt that, with those cards, I could definitely tell her that this relationship would go ahead smoothly, and possibly end up in a stable partnership. As time went by, however, things got complicated for her-nothing tragic ; essentially, they were not moving forward-and as I continued to see all rosey cards for her, and a happy ending despite some obstacles, I encouraged her to go and see the other 2 readers I mentioned, who I believe are very good, and certainly not the kind of readers who tell fairy-tales to their clients, without telling them about my readings. They told her the same. Too bad, the relationship ended tragically shortly after....and it doesn't matter why that happened, the point is, did we-me and the other 2 Readers-have a mass hallucination, all of a sudden ? Did we all misread the cards, on that particular occasion ? Or is there something else we are all missing about how it works ??

I can give you a counter story regarding a similar situation. Years ago when I first started reading, the cards told me all flowers and roses about a woman I was very interested in at the time. It never happened.

That said, the events predicted in the cards actually occurred in exactly the manner described with someone else entirely.

Reader interpretation, in this case myself, saw a situation in the cards I WANTED to see with that specific woman but was meant to describe someone else.

How did that happen? The Queen of Wands card used to come up every time I tried reading. Since I wanted that to represent the woman I was originally interested in, I interpreted that card as her each time. Since I kept drawing that card with regularity, I thought it was telling me about her. It wasn't. I only thought it did. Misinterpretation.

The cards can't jump out at you and tell you stuff directly. You have to be able to glean their meaning. It's not an easy thing to do. There is a myriad of ways to misread.

Nikita_

Nikita_ - you have been very patient with some of the responses you have been getting with this thread.

My question (based off your post #35 ) is: Did they shuffle the cards - or did you? Sometimes - the Tarot tells us exactly what WE want to hear. If your friend was anxious or wary and was hoping that 'This is the best off all possible worlds therefore everything that happens is for the best' - then quite truthfully the Tarot picked up on this emotional energy and mindset and that is what the cards showed - perfect bliss - what they wanted to have happen.

This is part of the 'Human Aura' theory as to 'Why Does Tarot Work?'. No angels, devils, gods or goddesses making the cards come up - they are affected by the body's electromagnetic field and the traces it leaves on the cards. PM me if you want an explanation or clarification on this.

Just my two cents ...

Very interesting, tarot bear...yes, patience is definitely one major karmic lesson I'm here to learn, in this life...and believe me, I'm Learning it the hard way...to answer your question : Personally, I get the sitter to shuffle her/his own cards, but the other 2 readers I mentioned do not even let the client touch the cards...so, I dont't know...I think I know the theory you are referring to, but I'll definitely get back to you on that one....thanks...

Nikita_

I can give you a counter story regarding a similar situation. Years ago when I first started reading, the cards told me all flowers and roses about a woman I was very interested in at the time. It never happened.

That said, the events predicted in the cards actually occurred in exactly the manner described with someone else entirely.

Reader interpretation, in this case myself, saw a situation in the cards I WANTED to see with that specific woman but was meant to describe someone else.

How did that happen? The Queen of Wands card used to come up every time I tried reading. Since I wanted that to represent the woman I was originally interested in, I interpreted that card as her each time. Since I kept drawing that card with regularity, I thought it was telling me about her. It wasn't. I only thought it did. Misinterpretation.

The cards can't jump out at you and tell you stuff directly. You have to be able to glean their meaning. It's not an easy thing to do. There is a myriad of ways to misread.
I know exactly what you're talking about, and I can tell you that, in the past, the very same thing happened to me...but that's an entirely different story. I know that can happen, mistaking one person for another; this reader I know in a nearby town, where I also sent my friend, made the same mistake with me years ago, talking with plenty of details-which all turned out to be amazingly correct-about a guy who, unfortunately, was not the one I was asking about, but someone I met shortly after....but this time, I don't think this is what happened here. There were too many details that matched, the background to the story, everything...and this is not the first time it's happened, not the only similar story I've heard...I don't know, sometimes I wonder if tarot, when we really get to trust it, starts playing tricks on us...some catholics I know say that that's the proof that the Devil is behind it, making us think it works, only to make fun of us....I don't believe that, of course, but hey, I'm prepared to listen to all theories by now....

Owl Tarot

I used to think that seeing the future was mainly what the cards were used for; but over the years, and after a series of negative experiences, both as a client and reading-esp for myself-, I've come to the conclusion that tarot is very good at mirroring the current situation and the actual trends, but often not to be trusted when it comes to predicting the future. I know that there are readers who don't even try to read the future, they simply refuse, and although I strongly disagreed with them in the past, I am beginning to see their point...
What is your experience with predicting the future through the cards ? I would be tempted to ask you, on a percentage, what is your degree of success in that, but I don't know if that makes sense....

For me personally, the correct term which should be used is "possible future". Why? Because if you want to make the Tarot look like a "fool" you can simply do the opposite of what the reader seems to "predict", which is a simple way to reveal future is formed by many many paragons. So, I believe the Tarot can show a possible future which you can make real if you want to and try for it or try to avoid it if you don't like it. The perspective it can offer on any given situation is a real wonder for me, because it can lead you to good moves now, in the present, to lead yourself to a future.

I am not taking into consideration the subject of the "accuracy" of the reading because that's an entirely different subject. I have seen though "inaccurate" readings (inaccurate according to books but accurate from an intuitive perspective, which is always flowing) work out pretty good, so many people need to refine the term "good reading" I believe. I only do readings only when the people I work with realize their life is their own, and their future is their own. The Tarot is a wise advisor and a form of divination allowing for wonderful insights into a matter, can show futures worth chasing or letting go, but not the final decision maker. Weak people like to throw their responsibilities of life to anything, but if you go with that in mind the reading will be poor I believe, because you won't be able to appreciate it properly.

Just my opinion and what feels correct and true for me on the matter.