ToP Kings - Need Some Observations

TheLovers2

baba-prague said:
I'm not sure that the King of Wands is exactly someone to trust. We saw him as someone who is definitely insistent on being centre of attention (and usually he effortlessly is so). He is fine when he is the one being admired and followed, but less predictable when expected to follow someone else (which basicallly he can't do). I think of him very much as a great "Lord" of the British theatre gracefully - grand, eccentric, amusing, interesting, but very much aware of his status. So - someone who you may love to meet, but may also be irritated by in some circumstances.

Still, I like him for the fact that his commander-in-chief wears a monkey on his helmet - I mean, you have to like that really!

Karen:

Soooo . . . what you're really saying is, "Don't fall in love with this guy."

It may very well be too late. (A little late night ruminating.) Hmmm. Well, I too, like that his commander-in-chief wears a monkey on his helmet, to me it means he really can't be too bad and if he enjoys a bit of eccentricity, then he'll certainly enjoy me. :D There's hope for him, yet. I choose to believe he is redeemable.

TL2

baba-prague

TheLovers2 said:
Karen:

Soooo . . . what you're really saying is, "Don't fall in love with this guy."

It may very well be too late. (A little late night ruminating.)

Well, it all depends...

I think of this card in some ways as the Laurence Olivier card.
http://www.laurenceolivier.com/
I mean, I bet he could be exasperating and needed to be the centre of attention - and usually way. But he was also attractive, got things done, achieved, and was probably a lot of fun to be with.

Doubt this King is the quietest and safest of choices - but we don't all want a safe life after all :)

lunakasha

I just started a new thread for the King of Pentacles for anyone who is interested:

King of Pentacles

I am just starting out with this deck, and I am really enjoying these cards...there is just so much to look at and write about, the detail is just incredible...and of course the book provides so much depth and understanding of the history of Prague and how these cards were created. (I am just starting to read the book btw)

My take on the King of Pentacles is that he is definitely not the "warm fuzzy" type of guy....he can be fairly stiff and rigid, stubborn at times...yet he is also practical and a good provider for his family...the steady, reliable type of man that makes sure the bills are paid on time but may not bring you flowers unless you drop a few hints....;)

:) Luna

annik

just put all the kings one beside the others. Looking at the differences and similitudes are quite enlighting.

But I see something specific to each one:

The king of wands is outside and gives me the impression to be in the heat of action.

The king of cups is on one bank of the river and the city is on another side. The waters between them makes me remember the sayings : a lot of water can pass under the bridge. It's means that emotion can flow and change over time.

The king of swords seems to be in a justice court. As if he was giving a judgement. It's not on the justice card. The justice card is well balanced. I see this king of swords as delivering a more human justice with the good and the bad. It's a justice that can be without full proof. And this king seems to be older than the rest of the cards. He seems also more experienced.

The king of pentacles seems to be more bussiness minded. He have a book. It could be a accounting book even we see a sun on the open page. He seems to have a lot of wealth. He look like a golden statue. Is he was under the golden touch?

lunakasha

This is a great idea, annik....:)

I am just starting to work with this deck, but I have tried this exercise with other decks (laying out the court cards and comparing them) and it really helps me connect more with their personalities.

I look forward to trying this with the Prague courts and will post here about the four Kings....

:) Luna

Alta

The King of Wands almosts dares you to not look at him! This is not a retiring wallflower king. The King of Swords looks absolutely sure of himself, the King of Pentacles looks certain of what he has and the King of cups looks abstracted... I do not think he worries about his audience!

baba-prague

Marion said:
and the King of cups looks abstracted... I do not think he worries about his audience!

Yes - absolutely. I always feel slightly sorry for the King of Cups - although I am sure he can be quite aggressive at times when the frustration of all the repression suddenly bursts out. But basically, he is a sensitive worrier who is trying to do the right thing. The artist who put away his brushes and took a solid 9-5 job. I'm not sure if he can even see the mermaid any more - after all, he is so stiff that it's hard to imagine him bending down to look. He is the only one dressed as a traditional playing card king - in some ways he's the only king of this deck who has forced himself into the conventional mode. It's ironic, as underneath all that, he's the most creative and emotionally intelligent of the four.

Bean Feasa

This is a really interesting thread! I tend towards having trouble with the courts. Thanks for the tip of looking at the four of them together, Annik, it does indeed point up the differences and sort of bring their characters out.
And baba, what you say about the King of Cups makes me feel so sorry for him. Maybe because I identify with him - I am that soldier, clinging to the 9 to 5 for the order and stability, when I long to get to write fulltime and earn my living that way. And the King of Wands - doesn't he just love himself! This thread is really making the kings come alive.