A look into the future

cirom

Lillie said:
The magician has far too many fingers.

Whats with that then?

He has more fingers, not too many, there's a difference.:)

Lillie

Ok.

Fair enough.
I can see there is a difference.

More fingers though.......
Wouldn't it be weird.

Does he also have more toes?

cirom

I guess so, but then so are hobbits with hairy feet, white horses with a horn on their heads, crew members with pointed ears. Mermaids, faeries, etc.

Additional or insufficient fingers for that matter are probably more common than one would imagine (I'm guessing here, but is'nt that one of the first things they check on a new born baby)

Anyway in this case the magician find the extra dexterity helpfull, not sure about the toes though.... I'll ask and let you know.

frelkins

what amazes me ciro is that almost no one mentions how difficult some of the digital techniques you use really are. i suppose it's because you put them together with such grace that they seem natural and easy in context.

but the books! the silver and gold detailing on the bindings -- how you got that detailing to wrap around so perfectly in scale and perspective. just little things like that.

i like all your ideas so far for the deck -- and i'd love big, borderless extra-large cards on acid-free stock!

Papageno

frelkins said:
i like all your ideas so far for the deck -- and i'd love big, borderless extra-large cards on acid-free stock!

ditto :thumbsup:

blue_fusion

cirom said:
Very often the body positions I sketch out first as it would be difficult to find the poses I have in my minds eye(attached fool sketch). But for the nuances of facial expression I look through magazines untill I find what fits the mood I'm looking for. This may not necessarily be the overal face, in fact I avoid a true likeness for legal and other reasons, instead its the subtlety that may come from say just the eyes, or lips etc. I personally would find that beyond me to create, but when I see it I know it and feel it would work for a given card's character, and then try to capture it. Or as in the case of the Queen of Wands posted earlier in this thread, I saw this magic expression in the eyes of a real person (a dancer at a Wiccan festival) and asked her to pose. (see attached photo) and used that as my reference point and developed it further, inventing costume hair style etc.

wow you really are a great artist. i see the resemblance with the picture but she became even more magical in your work. :) nice to see your sketches too, gives us an insight with how you actually start working on cards. :) and wow, the details you put on the face of that magician, even the veins show! *hands-down gesture*

Disa

Just another person to say how lovely your work is, Ciro.

I do like this magician in this newest deck, however, I must say the magician in the Gilded is my all time fave magician in any deck anywhere.

GeorgiePorgie

cirom said:
Oh dear !!! Well at least you haven't found them all then...
Is THIS post the big clue/giveaway? Edited to add, not that I can make out anything, I don't have the eagle eyes that some of these members have. ;)

whipsilk

If it weren't for The Fool (who might, of course, be just the "template" on which all the rest are written), I might be thinking you were preparing a tarot deck in which faces and their expressions completely portray the essence, the meaning you intend, for each particular card. That's certainly what I see in The Magician, and in the Queen as well. I don't think I've ever seen a Magician that so clearly conveys the magic and the mystery, the pain and the power, and the knowledge, both melancholic and opportunistic, that he will be seen as a "mere" entertainer. I look forward to more cards -- how in the world have I missed this thread until now?

You made a foray into a similar attempt with your erstwhile "famous faces" deck, in which the associations in the well-known faces would help define the meaning of the card.

cirom

whipsilk said:
I might be thinking you were preparing a tarot deck in which faces and their expressions completely portray the essence, the meaning you intend, for each particular card.
Yes I do consider the expression of a face, the postion of the hands etc can lend a lot to the meaning and mood of a particular card. But this deck won't be a selection of portraits by any means and even the close ups when used, won't be main theme throughout, as the attached example demonstrates. In this case the Tower is quite a tradition depiction of this card, but the architectural style is important as its a key element that will make more sense within the context of the companion book story I'm writing.

whipsilk said:
You made a foray into a similar attempt with your erstwhile "famous faces" deck, in which the associations in the well-known faces would help define the meaning of the card.

You're referring to My Keith Richard portrait :) I must say the response to that proposal was interesting, but in conclusion I don't think it would work, too many opinions and preconceptions.

Attachments

• T3-TOWER.jpg
    T3-TOWER.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 410