Discussion Thread for: The Making of a New AT Collab Deck

Gulliver

Do you all agree with the deadline, the end of March 2015?

Gulliver

So I'm off now. Tomorrow evening I'll be back.

gregory

Do you all agree with the deadline, the end of March 2015?
Sure. But don't assume we will all still agree when it gets to January :D

Been there, fought that...

reall

Just to catch up here
@wooden-eye I would like to know more about img size you were using for card design? And templates?:))) an evrithing else reagarding creation proces!^^ ;)))

@Flames I give up on majors and signed up queen of cups!^^ ;)))
And my vote goes for
A)
Borderless
Traditional Names
Titles added by artist

@tarotbear tnx for templates!^^ and great design examples!^^:)))

@ annabel398 im interested in all possible templates and resources!^^ ;)))
I would like template for borderles version!^^

Imo it would be good idea to have card image on one layer and card name/number/borders etc on other?:)))

I suggest GIMP http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Among all programs i try that one is most simple free and easy to run on old comp?:)))
As for img format imo while working on design is best to save it as bmp or Gimp/xcf!^^
And ONLY WHEN YOU DECIDE ITS FINISHED DESIGN SAVE AS jpeg or png!
because it lose quality every time you edit it and save again!!!

So remember to SAVE YOUR ORIGINAL/WORKING DESIGN IN BMP OR xcf/other editable/high quality format!

as for others
Size/ tarot
Printed deck/ Yes.
Majors; Borderless, Numbered/even if uniformed borders would contribute to uniform design!^^ and it will be good idea to have different colors for majors and suits!^^ ;0)))

Creator to add title themselves yes if wish so! but on different layer!
uniform suits names

im ok with march but think it would be great to finish it before ny!^^ ;)))
if needed ill sign up for 1of6 just tell me what would i need to do?:)))
(i was forum moderator before and have experience in art img paint programs!^^ ;))))))

annabel398

Oh but [border color] does matter. If the cards were to have - say - a purple tartan border (yes I am being silly to make a point !) that would dramatically affect what I put together to fit in there :D

To clarify: Color matters... But it's not necessary in order to create a template. The list you quoted from was "the minimum info needed to make a template," so that all these artists who are chomping at the bit can get started with the right size.

Me, I was thinking chartreuse paisley borders =P

wooden-eye

So, would I be right in thinking that all we really need to is know the size of the image, using the GC template and then we can get on with the artwork, as everything else will be added at the end?

As a grubby paint person, I am utterly lost in these acronyms and each clarification makes the water ever more muddy.
I worry a little that folk might be put off contributing a piece of art by a feeling of technical inadequacy.

Original artworks made within the perimeters of a home scanner/printer (mine was $29), may simply be scanned or even posted to the person in charge of graphics, Annabel (wonder-woman) in this case.

Does anyone know how to set up a simple pole for the decisions to be made?
Then all members may vote for their preferred format, even non-participants will feel it is their deck.

As an aside, I do think borders must be very simple and thin or there could be some almighty visual clashes, but then I am biased, my art is busy and loud.

annabel398

So, would I be right in thinking that all we really need to is know the size of the image, using the GC template and then we can get on with the artwork, as everything else will be added at the end?

Not yet! Until the group has decided on borders (yes/no) and location of titles, we will not be able to finalize a template with exact sizes for this deck. TB's link to the Gamecrafter template was more in the way of an example than The Final Word on artwork specs.

As a grubby paint person, I am utterly lost in these acronyms and each clarification makes the water ever more muddy.
I worry a little that folk might be put off contributing a piece of art by a feeling of technical inadequacy.

Original artworks made within the perimeters of a home scanner/printer (mine was $29), may simply be scanned or even posted to the person in charge of graphics, Annabel (wonder-woman) in this case.

Does anyone know how to set up a simple poll for the decisions to be made?
Then all members may vote for their preferred format, even non-participants will feel it is their deck.

As an aside, I do think borders must be very simple and thin or there could be some almighty visual clashes, but then I am biased, my art is busy and loud.

My apologies for all the jargon--it's need-to-know information for digital artists but I can understand that it would be a buzzkill for the analog folks! I'll try to preface future jargon with a notice that "painters/etchers/etc. can ignore the following"!

I also like the idea of a poll--I think the thread starter may have to set it up.

Flames

QUESTION - Clarification

I'll wait to hear back from Gulliver regarding having a poll. Thank you for your suggestions so far.

My understanding is that annabel398 adding in post-production, doesn't necessarily mean that the cards have to be 'traditional' names...

So, could someone kindly clarify what we mean when we say "title added by artist"? It got my wheels turning...Do we mean that the artist incorporates the title in their artwork, themselves? Or simply that the artist CHOOSES the title/name which would then be added uniformly in post-production?

Thank you again!

blue_fusion

I vote:

1. I'm okay with either a simple border or a borderless deck.

2. Titles added afterwards, at the bottom of the card.

These two are needed to determine the image size/dimensions we'll be creating.

TarotBear mentions a 79th card. We could do a Happy Squirrel! }) Actually, TGC's tarot size has 80 cards for a full deck, so there'd still be a title card and another extra one (which could be the HS card?). And then provide a printable file for acknowledgements and other LWB stuff?