View Single Post
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minderwiz View Post
In terms of your reading list, you might well add Primary Directions, by Martin Gansten, which was recently published by Wessex Astrologer. It looks at both the mechanics and theories of Primary Directions both ancient and modern.

Gansten also rates various software that attempts to calculate Primaries. He actually mentions Astrframes and says that it calculates correctly. Apparently though it only calculates converse directions in the modern sense, not the classical sense, so it would not do for me, as I need the classical version.

Gansten's choice is Morinus (only the 'modern' was available at the time of writing but the traditional is simply a sub-set of it). Gansten says that it by far surpasses most commercial software (for Primaries) and says he warmly recommends it to students of Primaries.

If you decide to buy his book (and I highly recommend it) be aware that he uses the sidereal zodiac for his natal charts (using the Krishnamurti ayanamsa) - which is only mentioned in the preface. As he shifts between tropical and sidereal zodiacs on occasion but without explicitly saying so, it can be a bit confusing if you've not read the preface LOL

Nevertheless this book is highly recommended.
That one is on my list. I'm currently reading Charles Jayne's "Progressions and Directions" published in rather "home-made" fashion by his Astrological Bureau back in the '70s. Since I have Riyal set up for sidereal, I can very easily produce sidereal natal charts to use with Gansten's method. I really need to read Fagan and Firebrace's "Primer of Sidereal Astrology" before I venture into that territory, though.
Top   #26